Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM

247 posts, read 243,572 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what experiences people have had with Florida Cable - good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Do you mean cable companies in general or a specific cable provider ??

Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM

247 posts, read 243,572 times
There is a cable company called Florida Cable that services parts of central Florida.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 AM

140 posts, read 731,569 times
Default Cable in Central Florida

Brighthouse Communications, a subsidiary of Time-Warner Communications, services much of Central Florida. Offers so[me bundling packages, products, and service. While not cheap, at least you have reliable RoadRunner broadband at your choice of speeds; wide variety of cable television options; and internet, unlimited telephone service...all very reliable.

Dish Network and Direct Television also serve Central Florida, but if you live in a development, one or the other service will not be allowed in. There is also Embarq cable which used to be called something else. They only offer broadband, if I'm correct.

In On Top of the Wold, and in Stone Creek, in Ocala, Florida, they have a "monopoly" with their DCM Cable service. It's basically Dish Network, re-distributed over their lines. They also offer Broadband services, at you choice of speeds( hardly the "appropriate word" - speed!. They offer one SLOW speed, free, but it's really slow. The "faster" connections are incorrect in using the word "faster." Televison service is almost daily interupped by loss of satellite signal...a rain storm, thunder, a bird flying in the sky, a blowing leaf...you get the idea. But, to their credit, they do have some great service techs, who although they only serve two sub-divisions, are nearly iinstantly available should you have a problem

Other cable services have tried to move into the Ocala and surrounding areas, but only Brighthouse is worth considering if it's avaiable where you live.

Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM

I use Cox communications for cable TV/internet at my home in Ocala.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,394 times
I have Brighthouse for cable/internet as well. I am not a fan of satellite after listening to my neighbors about outages, overgrown trees blocking reception, and such. Brighthouse is reliable and offers ON Demand programming that is not available on satellite. As I understand it, satellite's Weather Channel delivery doesn't give you true "local on the eights". Brighthouse also offers a channel out of Orlando that is like a "local" CNN Headline News, 24/7. I enjoy the on demand programming from that channel that showcases "Fla on a tankful" ( day trips ), cooking shows, and other highlights. Their internet is great as well..and they offer wireless...wonderfully fast. ......@dontaskwhy-> I have heard Cox throttles your bandwidth..Is that true-?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

I haven't encountered any "throttling" of my internet with COX. I am not a big bandwith user, only have the 1.5 mbs connection currently. Can't say with any certaintly if there are any restrictions.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I was wondering what experiences people have had with Florida Cable - good and bad.
If you're moving from another area of the country and want to follow your home sports teams, satellite is really your only option. Comcast (which covers the area of Marion County where we live) doesn't offer a regional sports channel, and doesn't offer Extra Innings (as a diehard Yankee fan, that's unacceptable to me).

We went with DirecTV, which we'd had back home in NJ, and have found that the brief outages due to storms aren't any worse than what we experienced back in NJ.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,807 times
I have DISH Network for Cable - in 2 months now I have had reliable service, no outages (and theres been a few good storms). I have COX for internet, I do not reccomend them. It took ~ 1 week from the time they said they would install it to actually come in and install it, and my actual connection speed varies on the time of day (sure, I get 1mb/s at 2 a.m., but at 9 p.m. its more like 400kb/s if i'm lucky). I wish I would have gotten DSL instead.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 109,820 times
Hartwick....

I believe you are incorrect when stating that one must only receive either Dish Network or Directv in some developments. They are both over the air antennae systems and according to the FCC it is illegal to prevent anyone from receiving over the air signals. It is much different when it comes to cable however since it is transmitted through wires and not over the air to the customer.

I had to deal with the satellite antennae issue in our development. I was the restrictive covenants chairman and had to address this issue directly. Our covenants prohibits antennaes, which according to the FCC is also protected right. The developer who put together the covenants had to back off from prohibiting any type of over the air antennae, with the exception of ham radio antennaes.

Also, I have seen both Dish Network and Directv dishes in Stone Creek during my visits there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: