Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesButAlsoNo View Post
You did not say you rented your home to them or subleased it. If that is the case you should be able to get them arrested for trespassing if they will not leave when told to leave.

Then the officers will remove them for you.
When my father died, he had a verbal agreement with the tenants in his home. They were not paying any rent at any time and they were protected under the Florida laws as I posted in my links. Read the posted Florida statutes. Only a sheriff can legally evict a tenant, even in the OP's experience. Again, I am sharing a similar experience along with my knowledge of the Florida statues.

Feel free to shut off phones or internet, but definitely contact the sheriff's office. As mentioned before, Florida's real estate laws favor the tenant over the home owner, even in this circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
This is from the following source: Floridas' Landlord/Tenant Law

LANDLORDS CAN'T JUST THROW YOU OUT!

SHE IS NOT THE LANDLORD!!!! It's not a rental unit.

Quote:
* If any of these occur, the tenant may sue for actual and consequential damages
Quote:

or three month's rent, whichever is greater, plus court costs and attorney's fees.
NOTE and pay close attention: SHE IS NOT THE LANDLORD. It's her home, they were her guests, NOT HER TENANTS, and they refuse to leave.

Quote:
Pay close attention to section that is in bold/underlined. I didn't make this up, it is Florida law.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
s.

Feel free to shut off phones or internet, but definitely contact the sheriff's office. As mentioned before, Florida's real estate laws favor the tenant over the home owner, even in this circumstance.
They're not and never were her TENANTS. She was never their landlord. They are guests that refuse to leave. A totally different ballgame.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Any law enforcement officer from out of state offering real estate law advice is an idiot because laws vary from state to state.

Because you got your mooch out of your home by intimidation is not good advice for the OP. They could have sued you as pointed out in the Florida statutes.
I could have been sued because a GUEST refused to leave my home? Since when are we forced to allow GUESTS to take over our homes and be sued if we protest and demand they leave? I was not the landlord and it was not a rental unit.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesButAlsoNo View Post
You did not say you rented your home to them or subleased it. If that is the case you should be able to get them arrested for trespassing if they will not leave when told to leave.

Then the officers will remove them for you.
It seems "dontaskwhy" the real estate agent (no surprise) is under the mistaken belief this woman is the landlord and she rented out a rental unit to her brothers. She may be better off seeking advice from her lawyer AFTER she shuts off all the utilities instead of enabling the selfish moochers.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Maybe you don't read or comprehend what I said. The OP is the "landlord" in this situation. It doesn't matter if there was or was not a rental agreement to begin with. Ever hear of a squatter? I suggest you check your facts before offering bad advice. SHOUTING IS NOT NECESSARY TO GET YOUR POINT ACCROSS.

We can agree to disagree on this matter, but do not imply I do not know what I am talking about. I experienced a similar situation, as I mentioned in my first response to the OP, so I have firsthand experience. In my case, my father had no written lease with the people living in his home, but they had the same tenant rights as someone who did have a lease. After he died, it took 3-4 months to get the deadbeats out of his home. Care to provide your source of knowledge??

Bottom line is that the OP should contact a lawyer if it hasn't been resolved yet.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Actually, don'tsaskwhy is correct in general (I don't know about the specifics, or specifically about florida).

It's called "tenancy at will." Basically it means what the OP described:

You own a home. You let a relative live in it for a determined -or- indetermined amount of time. You don't live in it. They become the tenants of that property. Tenants don't necessarily have to pay rent. If they live there, and it's not theirs, then they're tenants.

Since they are tenants, and not the homeowner, the term "landlord" falls upon your shoulders. You don't need to be paid rent, in order to be the landlord. You are the lord of the land...that's where the term comes from.

Now - you're a landlord - not the lessor, since there is no lease. They are tenants, but not leasees, since there is no lease.

You, as landlord, want to return to your land. The tenants refuse to leave. This is no longer a familial matter, but now a legal matter, and you have to get the law enforcement agencies involved, in order to serve a formal eviction notice to the tenants, who are also your relatives, who are not paying rent.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Thank you for backing me up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Cut off the cable and internet......move back in........and make yourself a huge pain in the ass.

Make them uncomfortable and they will go running back to your parent's house.
I think the poster was intimidated by her brothers or would have taken some kind of action before posting here. They're taking advantage of her because they're selfish and they can.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually, don'tsaskwhy is correct in general (I don't know about the specifics, or specifically about florida).

It's called "tenancy at will." Basically it means what the OP described:

You own a home. You let a relative live in it for a determined -or- indetermined amount of time. You don't live in it. They become the tenants of that property. Tenants don't necessarily have to pay rent. If they live there, and it's not theirs, then they're tenants.

Since they are tenants, and not the homeowner, the term "landlord" falls upon your shoulders. You don't need to be paid rent, in order to be the landlord. You are the lord of the land...that's where the term comes from.
And in FL you as the so-called landlord, are also required to pay the so-called tenants utility bills? You need to check on this because there is more to it than that.

Quote:
Now - you're a landlord - not the lessor, since there is no lease. They are tenants, but not leasees, since there is no lease.

You, as landlord, want to return to your land. The tenants refuse to leave. This is no longer a familial matter, but now a legal matter, and you have to get the law enforcement agencies involved, in order to serve a formal eviction notice to the tenants, who are also your relatives, who are not paying rent.
This is what I already suggested. She needs to get an order-of-eviction or whatever FL calls it, but she is not required to support them by paying their bills until they're evicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala