Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,895 times

Advertisements

I just recovered from galbladder removal and due to my health I had to stay with my parents at their house. To make it work, 2 of my (adult) brothers had to give me their room and I let them stay at my house until I was ready to go home. It is now April and I am ready to go home, but they won't leave!! Can I shut of cable/electric? This was only a temporary arrangement, but they are not good people to begin with, and they are trashing my home. No written agreements or payments were made - I pay my mortgage, electric, cable, and trash bills. I just want to go home. I am disabled and I do not have the money for a lawyer - please, anyone, HELP!!!! BTW I live south of Ocala in Hernando.... I am at my wits end. Forgot to mention I also suffer extreme anxiety and this is really working me over. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
I had a similar situation with a squatter in my my Dad's home after he died and I strongly advise you not to shut off the utilities.

I would contact the sheriff's office or Hernando police department if you are in the city limits. You do not need to hire an attorney. It may take a few weeks or months to get them out but follow the advice of law enforcement in this case.

I feel your pain and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble trying to protect your home/best interests.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Thanks for the advise

I thank you for answering. I am not in city limits - more like apache shores area (I know - I didn't know what it was like until I moved in - oui vay!!). They are both on probation so any contact with the police is a possible violation of probation. Unfortunately, the whole of Citrus county is policed by the sherriff's office under Mr. Jeff Dawsey. They have their own way of doing things and it just depends on who answers the call as to if anything will be done or not. What is the squatter's law - anyone know? And how about just shutting the cable and internet off - I am not there to enjoy it and it is costing me $110/month? I know shutting off the power can cause me trouble, just frustrated! There is no lease, just an agreement they would come home and give me my home back after I was well enough to no longer require home health to come out daily, which is the case..... - there, I feel a bit better now, thanks again!
-X

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM

You could shut off the cable and internet without causing you any trouble. Only shutting off water or electricity could cause you issues. They could have cable or internet turned back on at their expense and in their name.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaman View Post
I just recovered from galbladder removal and due to my health I had to stay with my parents at their house. To make it work, 2 of my (adult) brothers had to give me their room and I let them stay at my house until I was ready to go home. It is now April and I am ready to go home, but they won't leave!! Can I shut of cable/electric?
Yes, if they are in your name! Shut everything off and stay at your parent's home meanwhile. Then go and get an Order of Disposessment to have them removed. It doesn't cost much, much less than the bills you are now paying for these human parasites.

Quote:
This was only a temporary arrangement, but they are not good people to begin with, and they are trashing my home. No written agreements or payments were made - I pay my mortgage, electric, cable, and trash bills. I just want to go home. I am disabled and I do not have the money for a lawyer - please, anyone, HELP!!!! BTW I live south of Ocala in Hernando.... I am at my wits end. Forgot to mention I also suffer extreme anxiety and this is really working me over. Thanks to everyone in advance.
See above and don't waste time taking action.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaman View Post
And how about just shutting the cable and internet off - I am not there to enjoy it and it is costing me $110/month? I know shutting off the power can cause me trouble, just frustrated!
How can it cause you trouble to have the electric and water shut off? It shouldn't take more than a phone call or quick visit to their offices.

Quote:
There is no lease, just an agreement they would come home and give me my home back after I was well enough to no longer require home health to come out daily, which is the case..... - there, I feel a bit better now, thanks again!
-X
I have to wonder why you didn't stay in your own home and have Home Health Care treat you there. Why would you need to live with your parents to for them to come to you?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Exclamation Wonder no more!

There are a few reasons.
a) I live out away from town and it is far for me to go to Dr and pharmacy as well as more convenient for home health as my parents live in the middle of the city. Pharmacy is 2 miles away, Dr is about the same.

b) To stay at my own house I would have had to had a brother stay with me to help cook/clean/take care of everything (none have a license) - I can't live with any of them..... just don't get along well.

c) At my parents I only need to worry about getting well, house is cared for and meals prepared.

Need I go on??

Last edited by xanaman; 04-26-2012 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Yes, if they are in your name! Shut everything off and stay at your parent's home meanwhile. Then go and get an Order of Disposessment to have them removed. It doesn't cost much, much less than the bills you are now paying for these human parasites.
With all due respect, that is very bad advice. My suggestions were based on two major factors: my experience as a realtor and advice of law enforcement. Not sure why you think the OP can violate Florida real estate law. While I agree the OP is being taken advantage of by his deadbeat relatives, but at least provide real, constructive advice instead of a knee-jerk reaction to a problem.

What is the basis of your advice to the OP? The OP could speak with an attorney or paralegal about the issue for advice at little or no cost to resolve the situation. Don't forget the old saying, "Possession is 9/10 of the law". Florida law generally favors the person living in the home much more than the homeowner. It sucks, but it is true.

As per shutting off the electric/water, I did that and the person living at the my deceased father's home turned it on in their name and I could do nothing to prevent them from doing so. A good friend who was a police officer warned me afterward that the squatter could have come after me legally.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM

Just as an update, I spoke with an acquaintance who owns a large Central Florida property management company yesterday. She confirmed exactly what I mentioned about shutting off utilities, don't do it. Phone and/or internet is not an issue but electric/water is off-limits and could get the OP in legal trouble for doing so.

Just to clarify, I am not an attorney and I am not pretending to be one.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:02 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,408 times
If they are on probation, one call to their PO's can get them out of your house.
You have options, but seem too anxious to act on them. Your brothers seem to be banking on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala