U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,217,854 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't a Citrus County forum, but Ocala is the closest area to where I live. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced walking on the street and being in the line of fire of a pesticide truck. I had no idea what that truck was or what it was doing at first, until it passed me the second time. The truck turned around at the cross street (about 100 feet away from when it passed me the first time) and came back to spray the other side of the street. I was enveloped in this stuff, inhaling it. Whether it sprayed me directly, I cannot say, as it was dark (9PM) and could have been a very fine mist, but I certainly smelled it and tasted it. I held my shirt over my nose and mouth to try to avoid it and run past the area where the truck turned around to get away from the poison. I couldn't continue on in case it happened again, so I waited a few minutes and went back home to wash my clothes and shower again. I was and still am infuriated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,754,888 times
I'm suprised you encountered one, they are as rare as a comet sighting by me. I'd like to believe they are putting down non-hazardous spray because of runoff into the lakes and pets, but you never know. I'd call mosquito control and find out what they're using, maybe make a complaint.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 PM

8,758 posts, read 7,693,092 times
Default Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
I know this isn't a Citrus County forum, but Ocala is the closest area to where I live. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced walking on the street and being in the line of fire of a pesticide truck. I had no idea what that truck was or what it was doing at first, until it passed me the second time. The truck turned around at the cross street (about 100 feet away from when it passed me the first time) and came back to spray the other side of the street. I was enveloped in this stuff, inhaling it. Whether it sprayed me directly, I cannot say, as it was dark (9PM) and could have been a very fine mist, but I certainly smelled it and tasted it. I held my shirt over my nose and mouth to try to avoid it and run past the area where the truck turned around to get away from the poison. I couldn't continue on in case it happened again, so I waited a few minutes and went back home to wash my clothes and shower again. I was and still am infuriated.
That's awful!!! I hope it was permethrin, which I believe is harmless to humans. (Ever watch "Billy the Exterminator on A&E? That's what he uses.)

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM

4,029 posts, read 6,786,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
That's awful!!! I hope it was permethrin, which I believe is harmless to humans.
Agreed, I don't think they use the old Malathion when there might be possible human contact.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,217,854 times
I did call and complained. I was told they use Permanone 3030. I don't believe any insecticide is "safe" to humans. I was told the driver turned off the sprayer when he passed me, but I told him I didn't hear the motor shut off. He told me it still runs. No matter, the driver should have stopped and warned me of what was about to happen. I was still in the stuff. He told me he would notify all his guys. All I can say is...hightail it if you see a truck with a strange sound and flashing yellow light coming.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM

161 posts, read 362,309 times
I am not down playing what happened to you but it reminded me of my childhood. When we were kids in the 70's and 80's we would ride our bikes behind the sprayers, we would even hold on to the trucks. Who knows what we were breathing! Why would we even do it, it stunk but I guess since the truck went slow it was a free ride for us lol

Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM

315 posts, read 575,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
I did call and complained. I was told they use Permanone 3030. I don't believe any insecticide is "safe" to humans. I was told the driver turned off the sprayer when he passed me, but I told him I didn't hear the motor shut off. He told me it still runs. No matter, the driver should have stopped and warned me of what was about to happen. I was still in the stuff. He told me he would notify all his guys. All I can say is...hightail it if you see a truck with a strange sound and flashing yellow light coming.
you seem like someone that would sue for something like this.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times
This very thing happened to me during Spring break in Melbourne, Florida 2014. Made meoso mad and I told the idiot driver but he continued to spray while we were walking.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM

35,314 posts, read 44,078,131 times
Heres a PDF page on the product.
http://www.backedbybayer.com/~/media...08Dec2010.ashx

Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
Ecamm222: I witnessed a truck leaving our neighborhood with the sprayer motor running but no spray coming out. My question is why are they soraying so late at night when the mosquitos are more active at dusk. If you read the protocol on mosquito control, supposedly they monitor the number of mosquitos per locale and spray once it reaches a certain number. They also are to spray at peak activity. My guess is the govt is getting so many complaints about the spraying that they do it later at night (when fewer people are outside; which is a good thing) yet less effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala