Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,822 times

Advertisements

Last night, August 30th, my fiance and I were at a red light and got slammed into by a car from behind. We are both okay with only small scrapes and bruises, but I am very upset about how the events unfolded.

After being hit, I was in shock for about 20-25 seconds, and didn't move. When I did finally look up, I saw the driver of the car that hit us was pulling away, FAST! I ended up following up to get his tag, and ended up in a residential neighborhood behind Aldi. He ended at a dead end street where we were screaming at him to stop and talk, and he just sped through the yards and did a U turn, eventually getting away before we could catch him.

When the cops finally showed up, it turns out the tag isn't a Florida tag, or we wrote it down wrong. I am almost sure that we have the tag # correct, and it must be an out of state tag; therefore not searchable to police unless I know the exact state.

What I am asking is for anyone with information to please come forward, or anyone who comes across the car to please call police, and let them know the correct tag #, or the state in which the tag is from.

The car was a silver or gray Chevy Cobalt. It was 4 door, and appx a 2005-2010. There was a spare tire on the back driver side, and the chevy emblem on the trunk was gold. The tag was a red and blue tag. The driver looked to be in his mid 20's - early 30's. The tag we wrote down was GUI 974, so it is something close to that, if not exactly that.

I am offering a reward to anyone who can help us locate this man.

We are not looking for him to sue him or anything like that. It is just WRONG what he did. We could have both been seriously injured and it's not okay for people to just drive away and be in no obligation for the wrongs they have done. My fiance and I are stand up people, who always try to help others out and right now we are asking for help. If you know anything about the man who hit us and ran, or if you come across him in the city, PLEASE call police, write down the correct tag and state of tag, and get ahold of me. PLEASE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Just curious, which end of Ocala? There are 2 Aldi stores here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,822 times
He crashed into me at 36th Avenue & Hwy 40. I was heading North on 36th Avenue, about to turn East on Hwy 40, heading to Walmart. When I was at the redlight, he hit me. Then I followed him East down 40, to behind Aldi.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I thought it might help others who might have been in the area of the accident or might have seen a car matching your description with body damage. Good luck in finding the driver and glad to hear you weren't seriously injured.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
How is it the police can't check their computers to see what state the plate is from? People cross state lines all the time and commit crimes. People can't always catch the state but do catch the larger letters and numbers.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Because they think it might be GUI 974, and aren't sure. So it could be OUI 974. Or it could be GUT 934. Or any of a myriad of things that look similar when you're half-panicked after being slammed into by a car that's driving away.

That means, there could be thousands of license plates that match any of the myriad of possibilities. And any of them might be old, and unused, or fraudulent, or stolen, or any of a number of other possibilities other than "legitimately belonging to the car they were attached to at the time of the incident, and legally registered to the driver of the vehicle in question."

The police are not likely to even -try- to follow up on that angle, without being able to narrow it down to a state, or two states, and more than "we think it's.." for a license plate number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: