U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 AM

464 posts, read 797,947 times

Advertisements

I know that sometimes it seems like I knock Ocala a bit, but for us, and others, it has been a wonderful choice. I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I thought I'd start this one on the coattails of another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I was wondering about Ocala for retirement. It's very inexpensive and is warm in the winter. Bugs are part of the terrain in the deep South...if you can't deal with it, look elsewhere.

For those that mentioned the low pay, I think that goes for pretty much all over Florida....bring your fortune there, probably not gonna make one there.
Actually, Ocala can be pretty darn good for retirement, especially if you don't want your living expenses to eat up that fortune you are bringing with you. It is centrally located, and you can control your pace of living. If you can drive, you've got it "made in the shade".

Want Disney/Universal? An hour away. Florida resident discounts. Close enough to visit during the middle of the week, in the off-seasons, or anytime you want. Bonus is that because you aren't trying to fit everything into a one week annual vacation, you can actually skip the rides and really explore everything the theme parks have to offer. Second bonus: your kids will be more likely to visit you! Third bonus: you don't live in Orlando, so you don't have to fight the traffic fueled by tourists who don't know where they are going, how to get to the airport, or on the last leg of a 1500 mile road-trip with kids asking...."Are we there yet?"

Festivals. Except for a few weeks during the summer, there are festivals, craft fairs, music, and farmers markets dang near every week. People come from all over for MacIntosh and Micanopy festivals. You want to arrive early to really enjoy it, but by living here, you can get up, have your coffee and breakfast, and mosey on up. Ditto for the lengthy Strawberry Festival in Plant City, the Seafood Festival in Cedar Key, etc,etc. From Lake City to St. Pete, Cedar Key, Homasassa and Crystal River to St. Augustine, Daytona, and Cocoa.....all can be day trips from wonderfully centrally located Ocala. And there is ALWAYS a beautiful, scenic back road that can get you there.

Want water? Pick a coast. Pick a spring. Pick a river. Rent a kayak, go scalloping, cast a line, take a cruise, see a sunrise, see a sunset, rent a jet ski, swim with the manatees, take a boat tour. Almost all are in your backyard. And again, you can pick and choose your times.....and not worry about ( most times ) flood insurance, coastal erosion, dependence on tourism dollars to finance our local services, car and homeowners insurance costs are lower here, spring breakers......you can stay at the TradeWinds on St.Pete Beach and pay top-dollar for a room and be a tourist...or pay 100 a night next door at Howard Johnson's, using Fla resident rates, and pick up a sub and cooked shrimp at the local Publix. Again.....the high life on the cheap, and you can do it more often, because in 90 minutes, you are back home in Ocala at at least half the price of what it would cost to live in the Tampa Bay area.

There are lots of advantages to living here and these are just a few. I hope others chime in, because I know there are many more.

So yes, like Tall Traveler says, you gotta bring your fortune with you, but if you can, it sure does go a long way here for the quality of life you get. And yes, I am glad I raised/educated my kids and worked elsewhere before I came back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 AM

7,201 posts, read 12,595,120 times
We winter in the Ocala area because the cost is much less than on the coasts and DH isn't a beach person. We like the slow pace of the people there and the shopping is fine with us. Many stores to choose from for clothing, souvenirs and food. There are enough restaurants to keep us happy and it's not far from The Villages where my husband's sister lives.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We winter in the Ocala area because the cost is much less than on the coasts and DH isn't a beach person. We like the slow pace of the people there and the shopping is fine with us. Many stores to choose from for clothing, souvenirs and food. There are enough restaurants to keep us happy and it's not far from The Villages where my husband's sister lives.
The shopping is surprisingly good here, and we even have an Aldi. Nearby Gainesville has a Trader Joe's, Home Goods, and the Oaks Mall. No Central Market, but The Vilages and Gainesville both have a Fresh Market. Now if we could only get a real Apple Store. Ocala has the Paddock Mall, which isn't bad. Near the food court, WOCA even has a broadcast booth! I was glad to see it. It has been years since the broadcasts from McDonald's were done.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM

4,044 posts, read 6,791,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Now if we could only get a real Apple Store.
The dedicated section in Best Buy (within 1 mile from the Paddock Mall) is just as good as a genuine Apple store except a lack of an on-site repair facility.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The dedicated section in Best Buy (within 1 mile from the Paddock Mall) is just as good as a genuine Apple store except a lack of an on-site repair facility.

Thanks, but sometimes you just need the Genius Bar. We buy online Apple Refurbs directly from Apple. We don't have many issues, but when we do, we have to head to Orlando or Tampa. Apple stores not only repair with in-stock parts, but you can get an appointment. Last time, we dropped it off, strolled the mall, came back later, picked up the laptop, and went on our merry way. Awesome!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 AM

404 posts, read 565,335 times
Dax13 you should work for the Florida Chamber of tourism

Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM

173 posts, read 211,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Thanks, but sometimes you just need the Genius Bar. We buy online Apple Refurbs directly from Apple. We don't have many issues, but when we do, we have to head to Orlando or Tampa. Apple stores not only repair with in-stock parts, but you can get an appointment. Last time, we dropped it off, strolled the mall, came back later, picked up the laptop, and went on our merry way. Awesome!

Have a friend who teaches computer science and has had a repair shop for 20 something years. He has an acquaintance who works for Apple and he tells me the units Apple sells as "re-furbs" aren't really refurbished at all. They're actually brand new units. He says whenever Apple comes out with a new model they may make, say, a million of them for retail. But they will actually manufacture 2 to 3 times that amount and place them in stock to use for warranty repairs. They usually wind up just returning a new one to the customer under warranty. As the dust settles on a new model, they begin selling the NOS spare units as refurbished units. Those are really great buys if you don't mind not having the "latest and greatest".

Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Dax13 you should work for the Florida Chamber of tourism
Ha! Thanks, Dave. There are plenty of things that drive me absolutely nutzoid, but once you get to the point where you just figure out how to make do or do without, life gets good. I don't know of any other place that can offer all that Florida does.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post

Have a friend who teaches computer science and has had a repair shop for 20 something years. He has an acquaintance who works for Apple and he tells me the units Apple sells as "re-furbs" aren't really refurbished at all. They're actually brand new units. He says whenever Apple comes out with a new model they may make, say, a million of them for retail. But they will actually manufacture 2 to 3 times that amount and place them in stock to use for warranty repairs. They usually wind up just returning a new one to the customer under warranty. As the dust settles on a new model, they begin selling the NOS spare units as refurbished units. Those are really great buys if you don't mind not having the "latest and greatest".

Thanks for confirming what I had always suspected. Just came back with a new IMAC 27" after having a slight problem with a 2 year old refurb. No charge, and was offered a pro-rated 3 year warranty which we took.
Apple customer service through their warranties and Apple stores is phenomenal as far as we are concerned.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,913 times
Wow Sorry if I seem out of place here but I feel that Ocala needs to get with the times because we have over 85,000 15 year olds that will move away because of the so called retirement living of ocala and I really do see Ocala growing with options for them to stay and contribute to the economic development of the state. And what's the sence of me bringing my fourtune here if half way down the line I will have to go to work to pay off my $489,000.00 home with a mortgage of over $3,000.00 and my yearly property taxes of of $3,000.00 also.

And don't get me wrong I like Ocala to an extent. I am a New York and feel for the individuals in that live in poverty and that being 15.6% out of floridas total of 14.% maybe that's due to the lack of quality of life that Ocala offers them and they are stuck because they can't leave if they wanted to

And I don't mean to offend any one. Just looking at the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala