U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 AM

49 posts, read 401,463 times

Advertisements

I started out looking at On Top of the World based on an ad in my local newspaper. While it looks great, I got caught up in the fact that the builder owns the amenities, some homes are on leased land, etc.

However, Ocala seems intriguing. Next I heard of SummerGlen. THere the amenities are resident owned. However, it is right off I-75 and not as close to shopping as OTOW. I have been told that some parts of SG can be quite noisy. Also, their golfing (I am not into this YET) seems quite expensive.

Next, I heard about Stome Creek. It is Del Webb which I have been led to believe means quality home features. It is next to OTOW as its land was purchased from them. Thus it is also nearer to shopping as is OTOW but not on top of a highway.There are no expensive golf feeslike the other two.

Stone Creek seems like the best of the bunch. Am I wrong or missing anything so far?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 AM

65 posts, read 248,539 times
I don't think there's any one "best" 55+ community. It really just depends on what you want.

Stone Creek does seem quite nice, and Del Webb is offering some good deals at the moment. When we visited there last month, they were offering purchasers free golf carts.

My husband and I currently are renting in Oak Run, another 55+ community across Hwy 200 from Stone Creek. We'll probably buy here because it is (to our minds at least) the most beautiful 55+ community we've ever seen -- mostly because of all the trees, trees, trees. Oak Run is almost entirely built out now, though many of the houses are still new-ish. Almost everything built here since the mid-90s is concrete block.

The best advice I could give is to visit several communities with a real estate agent. Then "compare and contrast," as my high school English teachers always said.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 PM

164 posts, read 602,599 times
John I feel STONE CREEK IS REALLY NICE WE WERE UP THERE ., THE POOL IS WONDERFUL PLUS THEY GOT INDOOR OUTDOOR POOLS AND A REAL STEAM ROOM. WE TOURED WITH A GAL NAME DEBBIE SHE WAS GREAT .THE HOMES OUR NICE ALSO WELL GOOD LUCK OH THERE GETTING A NEW MALL SOON

Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM

164 posts, read 602,599 times
John ,the fees our great also .

Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 58,661 times
John, Stone Creek is great! We built a house there this summer. The best amenities around and great location! Unfortunately we have not been able to sell our current home in Ocala. If you are interested in the Stone Creek house, please let me know!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 65,920 times
Stone Creek is BY FAR the best 55+ community in all of Central Florida, in my opinion. The amenities are unmatched, the monthly fees are great, and the overall community is spectacular. Del Webb invented the active adult community concept, and Stone Creek is one of, if not the best example of superior execution. I would highly recommend considering Stone Creek. They even have a program where you can stay for 3 nights in a fully furnished villa home, with unlimited access to a golf cart (provided with each villa), and the ability to use all the amenities during your stay. The price per night is very reasonable, especially considering everything you get (cheaper than a hotel). I'm not sure of the price per night, but it might be worth calling and finding out more details, as it's a great way to experience living in Stone Creek.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM

To Sooners133,

I noticed that you replied to three of my posts with similar knocks on OTOW and SummerGlen. I am curious:

Do you live in StoneCreek?
Are you a realtor or employed at StoneCreek?
You mentioned that OTOW is 30+ years old - are you sure of that?
Can you tell me which organization went bankrupt and where I can check into that fact?

I don't mean to be rude - but I need to see proof regarding such negative things.

Thanks.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-24-2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Reply via DM to requester. Thank you

Old 01-05-2008, 08:13 AM

18 posts, read 168,295 times
Default SummerGlen

Unfortunately, sooners123 has an agenda. SummerGlen's developer( Florida Leisure Communities) has NEVER been bankrupt. They are a local(Lakland Office) developer for almost 40 yrs. They aquired SummerGlen from the bank that bank rolled the previous developer that went under. Since their aquisition in 04 they have sold almost 600 homes. Thusly the reason for the lowest pricer per sq ft in the area. I live here I know. This place was a dump when they took over. Now it is a community that we are all proud of. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the response regarding the facts. Actually I had checked the bankruptcy one independently on the web before my response. I knew it was false regarding the current owner at that point.

I know the poster was close on when OTOW was started - actually 25 years ago (plans going back over 30 years).

I cannot say for sure if the post was anything more than misguided. I had read that folks with an agenda sometimes will post without stating so. That is why I asked for proof. I did not receive a response - either here or directly.

I do have a question for you. Was Stone Creek available when you made your decision on SummerGlen? Which would you chose now? Why?

Also, as someone near On Top of the World, what is your take on that community? I just read that they have plans for over 30,000 homes!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM

20 posts, read 150,334 times
could be that there are plans for additional 30000 omes in the future. Otow owner does own a vast expanse of land over there. Stone Creek land was sold by him. Plans for OTOW are the expansion of Candler Hills west which together with Candler Hills East will total 1600 homes Roads elec sewers are being put in now.The Master Association which oversees the HOA at OTOW includes Stone Creek For some strangr reason. Could be the owner of OTOW has an interest in Stone Creek also since he sells them water from OTOW and shares the golf course with them also.Plans are to connect the two with a golf cart path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or