Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 9,931 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are researching relocating to Florida. We will both be able to find work- husband postal employee and can transfer laterally to an office with opening and I am a nurse with speciality in homecare for 18 years. We currently have a 2 daughters 4th and 7th grade. We are interested in central Florida, my parents live in The Villages, Fl, so looking to somewhat close to them. We have a priority to find a great school system, housing range from $300-400. Need some advice on good areas. Husband is also into fishing and would love to be near a lake, on is ideal but I don't think for 400,000 that might be possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Coming from Connecticut to Florida, you won't find a great school system. Florida public schools are abysmal, compared to what you're used to in Connecticut.

The good news, is you can find some really nice homes near North Lake and Lake Wier for under $200,000, which would allow you to afford private school for your kids.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM

113 posts, read 220,031 times
The schools are fine in Marion County. I don't put a lot of stock in rankings, but if you do, check this out. Four Marion County high schools make 'best' lists | Ocala.com
Also, Forest High School is nice. If your kid is in AP or advanced classes, they are going to have a great education.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM

103 posts, read 230,532 times
We relocated from CT last August, although I'm a Florida native I did spend 24 years in CT. We settled in Citrus County because of the school ratings and lots of research. Florida schools take a lot of bashing but I have to tell you that my kids are doing great, they've always been good students and are continuing down here. The best is that my 7th grader was facetiming with her cousin the other day (who is in 8th grade at a magnet school in Fairfield County, CT) and they realized they're studying the exact same stuff in Social Studies right now. And my daughter is a grade behind. So just don't be too scared by all the school talk, just make sure you do your research. We have parents in both Ocala & Dunnellon so are still close enough. We love that we have some space and get to enjoy the rivers, lakes & gulf that are so close by. I know you asked about Ocala specifically & housing there but wanted to add my experience with the schools. Good luck to you!!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM

113 posts, read 220,031 times
^^^correct
I was a teacher in Ocala. The bashing is overdone.
After moving to Miami, I feel like Marion is more professional.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,931 times
Very interesting article.. Food for thought thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala