Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

I am here on the west coast in large city, and I am considering a few places around the USA to retire to and to also purchase a home on at least one acre with a swimming pool, which would be my criteria if I were to consider retiring to FL. I was looking at Ocala, cause it is more rural, and less congested, but I am open to the outlying areas as well. I would have to go to the VA for once a month treatment's in Gainesville. I know FL has become very crowded over the years, and there are many areas in FL I would not look at living. Ocala and its rural parts, would possibly be the only place in FL in my price range that I would consider. Please tell me is Ocala....

....safe and low in crime stats?

.....are utilities high in Ocala? Especially when running a pool....and AC?

......Property taxes? Reasonable?

.....sink holes and hurricane's?

.....friendly people?

.....pretty nature?

....ok for older singles?

I see there are homes that are fairly priced there in Ocala, and the outskirts, so I was curious...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM

ok from what I understand, the utility rates are outrageous in Ocala

Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Ok, so some quick facts.

Crime: most areas are generally safe, but there are areas that you don't want to buy in. Just like any area. Just do due diligence and ask your local real estate agent.

Utilities vary with size of the home, etc. pool pump doesn't add a lot. Recommend a propane fired heater for the pool if you want one. You will see roof heating systems (looks like black netting on the roof).

Property taxes, depends on what you expect. They are lower than Texas, where we are from. Just check the Property Appraiser's office.

I can't address your specifics as to friendliness of Ocala, but I have found people to be very friendly down here.

Sink holes-there is a line across Florida from Tampa across that, if you are north, much more likely for a sink hole. Maps are on-line.

Hurricanes, haven't been bad ones in 8 years. Much more likely to have a hit on the east coast than the west coast. Charlie was the last big one to hit the west coast on 2004. But we are still having insurance issues.

Come over, and do your due diligence. Look around, and take your time. Check out various other pages about other communities. It is hotter here than the west coast, but COL is much lower.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I am here on the west coast in large city, and I am considering a few places around the USA to retire to and to also purchase a home on at least one acre with a swimming pool, which would be my criteria if I were to consider retiring to FL. I was looking at Ocala, cause it is more rural, and less congested, but I am open to the outlying areas as well. I would have to go to the VA for once a month treatment's in Gainesville. I know FL has become very crowded over the years, and there are many areas in FL I would not look at living. Ocala and its rural parts, would possibly be the only place in FL in my price range that I would consider. Please tell me is Ocala....

....safe and low in crime stats?

.....are utilities high in Ocala? Especially when running a pool....and AC?

......Property taxes? Reasonable?

.....sink holes and hurricane's?

.....friendly people?

.....pretty nature?

....ok for older singles?

I see there are homes that are fairly priced there in Ocala, and the outskirts, so I was curious...thanks
From a crime standpoint, there are good and bad sections of Ocala just like there are anywhere else. As a whole, Ocala is fairly safe provided you do not live in one of such areas. You'll want to contact local law enforcement for specific advice, as realtors are forbidden from discussing demographics with their clients.

Energy costs are only high if you're on Ocala Electric, for which you'd need to reside in Ocala city proper. Outside of that, energy costs are pretty low (and are about 1/2 the cost of Ocala Electric).

Property taxes are quite low, especially with the homestead exemption.

Sinkhole activity does occur on occasion, but not with such frequency that you should be worried to death. You can always have this checked before a purchase as well as acquire insurance for it.

Ocala residents are mostly friendly in person. While driving is another story altogether. Ocala (and much of Florida) has some of the worst and most dangerous drivers that I've seen anywhere in the country.

There are a variety of natural recreation activities to partake in and more rural areas of Ocala can be quite scenic despite a lack of appearance variety.

Ocala is fine for older folks, and there are an abundance of older folks in and around the area.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM

Yea was hoping the area wasn't getting too rough, been getting harder and harder to find affordable and at the same time, safe places in the USA anymore it seems...imo...saw a few nice homes in Dunellon....thought that the homeowners insurance might be high anywhere in FL and hard to get, as well.....

Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Yea was hoping the area wasn't getting too rough, been getting harder and harder to find affordable and at the same time, safe places in the USA anymore it seems...imo...saw a few nice homes in Dunellon....thought that the homeowners insurance might be high anywhere in FL and hard to get, as well.....
Homeowners insurance is pretty cheap; much cheaper than I had imagined prior to moving here from the northeast.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 PM

how about the utility bills there in Ocala?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,175,255 times
Quote:
May I suggest you utilize the " SEARCH FORUM " link in the upper right hand corner? There are numerous posts concerning local utilities, including the current discussion directly below your thread. That resource should speed up your cross-country research for a home port.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Electricity is cheap-to-average as long as you don't have Ocala Electric. Water and gas are average in my opinion.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 PM

interesting thanks I was told to stay away from spring hill though...due to sinkholes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala