Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,563 times

Advertisements

Hubs and I are moving to Ocala this Spring and we are a little
overwhelmed with all the neighborhoods to look at. We are younger
seniors 61 and 65. Just want a cute home in a well kept neighborhood. Under $150k. I'm noticing very high how fees!! At first glance Ocala Palms looks nice. The SummerEn and
Villages seems so congested. Any
thoughts on where to look?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,482,919 times
There's always something to do in The Villages, but it is congested.

Belleview area could be a good alternative; we have friends there.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:21 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Before you think the fees are high be sure you understand what is included. Some include all outside maintenance including painting and roof replacement.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 PM

40 posts, read 96,164 times
Does anyone have any opinions on Oak Run in Ocala? I'm still looking online for an area to zero in on. One of the problems I can see is everything seems to be electric in the south. I prefer gas cooking and heat when it's needed. Do you have the choice to have gas lines run in Oak Run or any other subdivisions? I'm sure it would be very expensive. I'd rather just find one that already has gas but so far no luck.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Not too familure with it but I think it is worth looking at. I eat at the CC sometimes. Also try On Top of The World. About 3 miles away and better location. It has a number of different price points and communities.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:56 PM

what do you mean On Top Of The World is a better location? Better because it's not convenient to shopping, etc? Or better due as far as safety or a shabby part of town?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 AM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
What do you mean shabby part of town?? It is not "shabby".

Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthegold View Post
what do you mean On Top Of The World is a better location? Better because it's not convenient to shopping, etc? Or better due as far as safety or a shabby part of town?
You can access several supper markets and some medical services and some Restaurants by golf cart.
Shopping, neighborhood etc would be similar for both.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Sorry if I used the word Shabby. I was just wondering what "a better location" meant. I've never been to that area and didn't know if there was what you would call a bad part of town. Low/no crime and safety are #1 on my list (tonight though, I'll also include being warm.) since I'm experiencing a decline in the area I live in. I just don't want to repeat that. I would assume if On Top Of The World and Oak Run are retirement communities, they would be in good, safe, crime free areas.

Another question I asked in my first post above. Are there any communities with natural gas? Or is that an option. Especially for stoves? I'm not into electric cooking at all. but it seems like everything in the Southern states is electric.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by followthegold View Post
Sorry if I used the word Shabby. I was just wondering what "a better location" meant. I've never been to that area and didn't know if there was what you would call a bad part of town. Low/no crime and safety are #1 on my list (tonight though, I'll also include being warm.) since I'm experiencing a decline in the area I live in. I just don't want to repeat that. I would assume if On Top Of The World and Oak Run are retirement communities, they would be in good, safe, crime free areas.

Another question I asked in my first post above. Are there any communities with natural gas? Or is that an option. Especially for stoves? I'm not into electric cooking at all. but it seems like everything in the Southern states is electric.
Look at the Marion County Sheriff's site. There is a crime map.

EIS Online Mapping

You can also call and talk to them. South West office. There is a sheriff office with in a mile or two of these communities. (the county is as big as the state of VT.) Very very little crime.But there are some bad areas so ask around.

I have gas (OTOTW) but I am not sure if all homes have it. I think you might find both gas and electric in the same community. I had the choice of gas or electric cooking. Gas only heat but this may no apply to all parts of OTOTW. Zillo might tell you the type of cooking.

Use Google maps and street(you can see the outside of the buildings) and satellite views.

Last edited by rjm1cc; 11-19-2014 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala