U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,056,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Yeah, this case you're describing seems to be on the more unusual side, but there are many dogs chained outside improperly 24/7. It just makes me very angry.
We've been busy with family but I did manage to feed the cat again, twice. The dog in horrid condition may have died. I didn't see it but the doghouse faces the woods and I wasn't about to go back there alone. He always came out and watched me as he shivered in the chill air. I got the house number also this last time I stopped there. Maybe I can get someone to go out there before another one dies or the cat starves to death. I can't leave food for her because of the wildlife and I can't get there more than a few times a week.

Quote:
The worst I've ever seen was after a friend of mine sent me horrifying pictures while touring a foreclosed property in the area. Without going into too much detail, part of the backyard was quite literally laden with the corpses of dogs abandoned by the previous homeowners. A majority of them still had heavy chains attached to the collars and what appeared to be duct tape around their snouts. The folks who do these sorts of things ought to be removed from society and put on community labor farms for periods of no less than five years.
OMG! When you think you've heard it all. I agree. The punishment seldom fits the crimes these psychopaths commit.

The police should have been able to find the owners easily. They had to have been paying rent or a mortgage before they left.

Quote:
As my grandfather used to say: "Any man that would starve or beat his loyal companion(s) will do the same to his wife and/or child(ren)."
Your grandfather was right. A psychopath feels nothing for anyone but him or herself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:44 AM

Update on the chained neglected dogs and cat in Silver Springs. Who do I call next?

So far as I can see the Marian Co. Animal Control has not done anything about the starving cat and chained dogs. The dog with a foul smelling skin infection along with the mange appears to be gone. I can't tell if the totally bald dog is still there as it's doghouse faces the back, the woods. The GS is still laying on her side. She can't walk to well and may have arthritis or hip dysplasia or a nasty heart worm infection.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the laws enforced so these animals get the care they need?

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,309,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Update on the chained neglected dogs and cat in Silver Springs. Who do I call next?

So far as I can see the Marian Co. Animal Control has not done anything about the starving cat and chained dogs. The dog with a foul smelling skin infection along with the mange appears to be gone. I can't tell if the totally bald dog is still there as it's doghouse faces the back, the woods. The GS is still laying on her side. She can't walk to well and may have arthritis or hip dysplasia or a nasty heart worm infection.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the laws enforced so these animals get the care they need?

Thanks.
You could try going above their head via the county administrator and advise him of the statutory violations that, as far as you can tell, have gone unresolved for weeks:
    Phone: 352-438-2300
Animal control is horrible in this county. A few times my parents have been told that there was no such service in the county by their office and hung up on. It took a phone call to the local law enforcement office AND a child in their neighborhood being attacked by an improperly secured shepherd mix before action was finally taken (in that particular case the dog was shot by an officer and animal control showed up five hours afterwards as a formality -- didn't even know LEOs had already been out).

The thing is, one of the AC staff members lives in the shores and their county work truck is parked in the driveway almost perpetually so something doesn't add up imo. Enforcement of animal statutes are often very low on the priority list unless the words 'dangerous' and 'children' are included in the complaint. The county's kill shelter is always packed as well due to the number of pit bull/ pit mix dogs being abandoned by the local hood-rat and hillbilly crowds.

I suppose it may not hurt to call the non-emergency number for, or make a visit to, the local law enforcement office to register a complaint. Perhaps one of our fine, overweight Barney Fifes could take a few minutes away from catching speeders to investigate.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:58 AM

4,560 posts, read 7,344,757 times
If Animal control doesn't respond, you could contact a local TV news station or newspaper about it. I suspect that would get them to take action. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
You could try going above their head via the county administrator and advise him of the statutory violations that, as far as you can tell, have gone unresolved for weeks:
    Phone: 352-438-2300
I guess this is the next step. I don't know why more people out here aren't making calls considering the dogs have a contagious disease - mange. It makes me wonder what kind of people live out here. A few I spoke to so far are aware of the situation, shake their heads.... and apparently do nothing!

Quote:
Animal control is horrible in this county. A few times my parents have been told that there was no such service in the county by their office and hung up on. It took a phone call to the local law enforcement office AND a child in their neighborhood being attacked by an improperly secured shepherd mix before action was finally taken (in that particular case the dog was shot by an officer and animal control showed up five hours afterwards as a formality -- didn't even know LEOs had already been out).
There is something amiss because when we were staying at an RV park on the other side of Marion Co. there were people galore from both the RV park and homes on the road complaining about some inconsiderate person with about 5 or 6 shrill yappy little dogs locked in their yard 24/7. They were driving people crazy - the police were called many times and nothing was done. They'd warn the dog owners and it was barking as usual as soon as the police left. That was in Belleview. Fortunately we were at the far end of the RV park so barely heard them.

Quote:
The thing is, one of the AC staff members lives in the shores and their county work truck is parked in the driveway almost perpetually so something doesn't add up imo. Enforcement of animal statutes are often very low on the priority list unless the words 'dangerous' and 'children' are included in the complaint. The county's kill shelter is always packed as well due to the number of pit bull/ pit mix dogs being abandoned by the local hood-rat and hillbilly crowds.
Someone needs to take pics of the truck parked there and make a complaint. Make sure the pics are date and time marked. We had a similar situation in TN about 10 yrs ago. The person was paid for 40 hrs and only worked about 2 hrs a day, if that - he was fired because of the pics someone took. They took the pics to a open town meeting. When confronted with the pics he admitted what he did.

Quote:
I suppose it may not hurt to call the non-emergency number for, or make a visit to, the local law enforcement office to register a complaint. Perhaps one of our fine, overweight Barney Fifes could take a few minutes away from catching speeders to investigate.
This is our 5th winter here and I am yet to see any police patrolling anywhere. They must all be cooping under the live oaks here in the ONF.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
If Animal control doesn't respond, you could contact a local TV news station or newspaper about it. I suspect that would get them to take action. Good luck.
Then I couldn't remain anonymous which is something I need to do because of where we're staying.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:02 AM

Default Good news

Quote:
Yeah, this case you're describing seems to be on the more unusual side, but there are many dogs chained outside improperly 24/7. It just makes me very angry.
OK... the news is good. We passed there this afternoon and there was a cheap fence up, but a fence nonetheless. The healthy dogs were in the fenced area running loose. Still no bedding though. The diseased dogs were not there. They may have given them to the Shelter. The cat was not there either but my husband saw her the other day near the Mobile Home. Since she's a fluffy cat he couldn't tell if she's still skeletal. Some of the people from Craigslist Pet section may have called Marion Co AC also as I asked them for help. But someone needs to keep after this couple because there appears to be several NEW dogs on the property we never saw before. We fear they're either hoarders or collectors. Suddenly about 3 new dogs? Something doesn't sound right.

Quote:
The worst I've ever seen was after a friend of mine sent me horrifying pictures while touring a foreclosed property in the area. Without going into too much detail, part of the backyard was quite literally laden with the corpses of dogs abandoned by the previous homeowners. A majority of them still had heavy chains attached to the collars and what appeared to be duct tape around their snouts. The folks who do these sorts of things ought to be removed from society and put on community labor farms for periods of no less than five years.
Since they owned or rented the place it has to be known who they are - why weren't they arrested? She had the pictures as proof as did whoever removed the dead dogs. What ever happened?

Quote:
As my grandfather used to say: "Any man that would starve or beat his loyal companion(s) will do the same to his wife and/or child(ren)."
I agree. On FB I belong to a few animal advocate Groups and the things I see and read on them are almost beyond belief. But I help in my own way by signing the petitions. Sometimes they really make a difference.

Last edited by =^..^=; 02-04-2015 at 03:39 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 02:48 AM

Marian Co. Animal Control was out here again yesterday. It appears most of the dogs are gone. Apparently they are going to watch this couple. I feel so relieved their suffering ended. Thank you all for your suggestions and information. It made a big difference to those animals.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:31 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,309,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Marian Co. Animal Control was out here again yesterday. It appears most of the dogs are gone. Apparently they are going to watch this couple. I feel so relieved their suffering ended. Thank you all for your suggestions and information. It made a big difference to those animals.
I'm glad to hear there has been at least some temporary resolution. Some people just shouldn't own pets, and there is unfortunately an epidemic in the Ocala area with neglected or abandoned dogs and cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: