U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 AM

27 posts, read 33,259 times

Advertisements

Left New Jersey in 2005 to escape the winters there where we were getting a foot of snow. Relocated to Texas where we've been for 10 years. Now come to find the winters here aren't that pleasurable either.
We would've headed for Florida originally, but back then it was after a big hurricane had hit and getting house insurance was more expensive then your mortgage payments at the time.
So I looked at the map of Florida and picked Ocala as our future retirement home. Its far enough away from the coast to be safe from hurricanes. I guess? Weather seems to be nice there in the winter. The town seems to be nice. If I live outside of city limits, there should be no problems with the dogs? Seems to be several nice gyms near by since my wife and I go four days a week. Since the weather will be mostly nice all the time I'll be using my bicycle for transportation frequently.
So is Ocala the best of the towns in Marion County? How are the unincorporated areas of Marion County? What does that even really mean, unincorporated? No business activity?
How are living expenses in Marion County? Electric, water and sewer, garbage pick up? We will probably just transfer with Dish network, so we'll just have to find an internet provider that doesn't have a "cap" on megabite usage which can be a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:46 PM

4,295 posts, read 3,615,695 times
Ocala is pretty nice for retirement. The weather is really nice, and not bad during the summer. It can be just as hot or hotter in the rest of the country as here.

Living expenses are reasonable outside of Ocala. Whatever you do, dont get a place with Ocala Electric. Terribly high bills. I have Duke Energy, and my average bills during the winter are $70. During the summer it is around $130.

Im in the far reaches of the county, so I have a well, and have to take garbage to the local recycle area. I use Windstream for internet, it costs about $45 a month. Its pretty good, no complaints.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 12,600,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny in Texas View Post
Left New Jersey in 2005 to escape the winters there where we were getting a foot of snow. Relocated to Texas where we've been for 10 years. Now come to find the winters here aren't that pleasurable either.
We would've headed for Florida originally, but back then it was after a big hurricane had hit and getting house insurance was more expensive then your mortgage payments at the time.
So I looked at the map of Florida and picked Ocala as our future retirement home. Its far enough away from the coast to be safe from hurricanes. I guess? Weather seems to be nice there in the winter.
Not necessarily! This is our 4th winter in the Ocala area and I will tell you it gets cold here. Some nights it drops below freezing. Many nights are in the 30s and 40s. Many days are chilly enough to need pants and a jacket. My husband and I have been discussing going further south for the winter next year where it's warmer - like maybe the Bradenton/Sarasota area - if we can find a RV Park we can afford down there.

Quote:
The town seems to be nice. If I live outside of city limits, there should be no problems with the dogs? Seems to be several nice gyms near by since my wife and I go four days a week. Since the weather will be mostly nice all the time I'll be using my bicycle for transportation frequently.
Again, don't depend on constantly nice warm winter weather. You will be disappointed. Already several RV people left this Ocala area to find warmer weather further south. If weather is important to you you may want to look further south in FL.

Quote:
So is Ocala the best of the towns in Marion County? How are the unincorporated areas of Marion County? What does that even really mean, unincorporated? No business activity?
How are living expenses in Marion County? Electric, water and sewer, garbage pick up? We will probably just transfer with Dish network, so we'll just have to find an internet provider that doesn't have a "cap" on megabite usage which can be a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or