Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,420 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a cheap mobile home and doing the snowbird thing. What is "Country Town Village" mobile home park like?

Any other non-55+ parks around that would have a cheap (fixer-upper is fine) mobile home with cheap lot rent?

What's the tornado activity and crime like around there? I don't have any kids, so schools aren't important to me.

I am just starting to kick around the idea. My wife and I love florida, but we usually visit Orlando, Kissimmee, Coco beach, etc. I want to live away from all of that action, but be close enough to get there for a weekend or whatever.

Hotels get expensive, hehe. My friend bought a mobile home and just pays somebody to keep the grass cut while they are up north. That seems like it might be the way to go. So what do you think? Will Ocala fit the bill?

I know I just asked a ton of questions. Feel free to answer any that you can, don't feel like you have to answer them all . It's just a big decision and I am nervously spouting questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,161,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVanMan View Post
I am considering buying a cheap mobile home and doing the snowbird thing. What is "Country Town Village" mobile home park like?

Any other non-55+ parks around that would have a cheap (fixer-upper is fine) mobile home with cheap lot rent?

What's the tornado activity and crime like around there? I don't have any kids, so schools aren't important to me.

I am just starting to kick around the idea. My wife and I love florida, but we usually visit Orlando, Kissimmee, Coco beach, etc. I want to live away from all of that action, but be close enough to get there for a weekend or whatever.

Hotels get expensive, hehe. My friend bought a mobile home and just pays somebody to keep the grass cut while they are up north. That seems like it might be the way to go. So what do you think? Will Ocala fit the bill?

I know I just asked a ton of questions. Feel free to answer any that you can, don't feel like you have to answer them all . It's just a big decision and I am nervously spouting questions...
Don't know much about that particular MHP, other than it is right off Pine Ave/301/441 and I think it is within Ocala City Limits proper. I don't think there are a lot of kids there, if any. More of a commercial area on the main drag than residential. Do a google street view. I do know the lots are small with older mobiles, but for your purposes, not a bad choice. In my opinion, I would only do something like that if I could pay cash. This would not be your standard investment property and you would be lucky to break even on your purchase price if you ever sold. Worst case scenario, you might eventually have to walk away from it if the property owners decided to sell as the cost to move the MH might not be worth it.

Again, not a bad overall plan for Florida as long as you know what you are getting. A couple of other things to consider are a non55 community may or may not allow minors. GENERALLY, 55+ are considered safer to leave for months at a time. Also, there are 80/20 laws that allow up to 20% of residences to have no adult over 55 in the household. However, the park is not obligated to do that. The parks that do, will not allow any minors. Should you not be 55+ and do not have minors, and present well, it doesn't hurt to ask.

With all that said, I find that Orlando, Kissimmee. Cocoa, etc. are hard to do from Ocala on a day trip if you are doing a theme park, the beach, etc. Possible, absolutely! But that drive back at night gets old and tiring. You might either want to consider something a bit closer or understand that you still might have a hotel/motel expense on occasion.

Almost forgot....while not unheard of, tornados are not a major problem. Crime? Meh.....not much for that location. Took a look at the website....park looks decent for the price range...and now that I think of it, when I went by there today, there was someone in medical scrubs hosing off their car in on of the driveways. You could do worse and a year free lot rent is good. At 235, you would be hard-pressed to find anything comparable.
As usual......just my opinion.

Last edited by Dax13; 01-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Additional opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala