Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone knows what the laws are here just outside of Ocala where the chaining of dogs is concerned. Is it legal? Do different areas have different laws? I Googled and came up with such a mixed bag of information it was useless. Every yard in this neighborhood has fenced dogs but one. It's set back by the woods where several dogs, all suffering from severe mange, are chained 24/7 by an old mobile home. One I closely examined (no one was home) is suffering from a foul smelling secondary bacterial infection. One is almost completely hairless and it's below freezing here some nights. They also have a cat that's extremely underweight. We've been dropping off cat food for her almost every day when we pass there.

I'm not from FL so don't know the laws here. Can anyone make a suggestion how this should be handled or who to call? Apparently it's a young couple living there with several small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:55 AM

6,392 posts, read 10,189,044 times
While I don't have a specific answer, I imagine there are county regulations that specifically address this type of issue. I would check with the Marion County Animal Control or Sheriff office for more help.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 2,073,417 times
Quote:
Sec. 4-10. - Control of animals.

(a)
It shall be the duty of every animal owner or responsible person to ensure that the animal is kept under direct humane control. Reasonable care and precaution shall be taken to prevent the animal from leaving, while unattended, the real property limits of its owner or responsible person; and the animal is:
(1)
Securely and humanely confined within a house, building, fence, pen, or other enclosure with sufficient ventilation; or
(2)
Except as provided herein, the unsupervised, unattended outdoor tethering of a dog is prohibited, whether or not the dog is otherwise inside a fenced or enclosed outdoor area. Where the dog is being held or kept outdoors a tether may be used as a means of direct control of the dog, only if all of the following conditions are met:
a.
The dog is in visible range of the owner or responsible party, which person must also be outside with the dog at all times. There is authorized the following narrow exception to this condition: The dog owner or responsible person may leave a dog tethered outdoors on the property for a reasonable period while such owner or responsible person performs a temporary task indoors. In no event may the owner or responsible person leave the premises while a dog is left tethered, unattended, outdoors. A dog may never be left tethered and unattended on vacant or abandoned property.
b.
Any tether must be of sufficient strength to prevent escape.
c.
The tether must be attached to the animal by a properly applied, buckle-type nylon or leather collar, or halter or harness, with a swivel hook, and configured so as to protect the animal from injury and prevent entanglement with other objects and/or animals.
d.
The tether shall not be attached to a stationary object or trolley at a point or location that would allow the animal to extend the tether over a fence or other object or edge in such manner that could result in the strangulation of or injury to the animal.
e.
The foregoing provisions regarding tethering do not apply to a lawful animal event, veterinarian treatment, grooming, training, or law enforcement.
f.
The provisions of subsection (2), and subsection (2)a., above, do not apply to dogs that are kept or used on lands being used for a bona fide farm operation on lands classified as agricultural pursuant to F.S. § 193.461 [cf. sections 163.3162(3)(a), and F.S. § 823.14(6); see, definitions of "farm," "farm operation," and "farm product" at F.S. § 823.14(3)(a), (b), and (c)].
The above information gathered after being redirected from the following site: Marion County, FL : Animal control and pet laws
Link found under "Animal ordinance."

Old 01-07-2015, 03:09 PM

On a side note, the sheer number of irresponsible pet owners in the area is both astounding and disheartening. Another irksome frequency are the number of folks driving around with flatbed or gate-less trucks with unsecured dogs riding thereon as frightened passengers.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:16 PM

6,392 posts, read 10,189,044 times
Thanks for posting the regulations for the OP.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 PM

No problem. I hope it helps both the OP and ultimately, the poor dogs as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
While I don't have a specific answer, I imagine there are county regulations that specifically address this type of issue. I would check with the Marion County Animal Control or Sheriff office for more help.
There is an Animal Control facility not too far from here. I will look up their number and perhaps they can help.

I hesitate to call the Police since they don't usually do anything in cases like this - unless chaining is illegal. I have no had good experiences where animals and the Police are concerned.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:28 PM

Default Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
The above information gathered after being redirected from the following site: Marion County, FL : Animal control and pet laws
Link found under "Animal ordinance."
This is exactly the information I needed. I thank you so much. I wish I had a printer with me but we are here in our RV for another 3 months and only have laptops with us. I would print it and slide it under their door.

The dogs are tied outside 24/7. There is no fence. The people are gone from the mobile home all day. The cat was so starved today she actually gagged on the food trying to eat it as fast as possible - as though someone or something would steal the food. There was no food or water bowl anywhere there for the cat. The dogs had water. There was no bedding in the dog houses and many nights are cold here. As already stated, one dog is almost completely bald with no way to stay warm. Two others, also suffering from mange and secondary bacterial skin infections were lethargic, probably infested with heartworm or other parasites. My heart is aching for these animals who can't speak for themselves.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
On a side note, the sheer number of irresponsible pet owners in the area is both astounding and disheartening. Another irksome frequency are the number of folks driving around with flatbed or gate-less trucks with unsecured dogs riding thereon as frightened passengers.
We haven't seen that so far or maybe just didn't notice. We have seen them hanging out car windows and wonder how they don't all fall to their deaths.

This case of 4 chained dogs and starving cat is the worse case of neglect I've seen here in FL or in TN where we live - in years.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
We haven't seen that so far or maybe just didn't notice. We have seen them hanging out car windows and wonder how they don't all fall to their deaths.

This case of 4 chained dogs and starving cat is the worse case of neglect I've seen here in FL or in TN where we live - in years.
Yeah, this case you're describing seems to be on the more unusual side, but there are many dogs chained outside improperly 24/7. It just makes me very angry.

The worst I've ever seen was after a friend of mine sent me horrifying pictures while touring a foreclosed property in the area. Without going into too much detail, part of the backyard was quite literally laden with the corpses of dogs abandoned by the previous homeowners. A majority of them still had heavy chains attached to the collars and what appeared to be duct tape around their snouts. The folks who do these sorts of things ought to be removed from society and put on community labor farms for periods of no less than five years.

As my grandfather used to say: "Any man that would starve or beat his loyal companion(s) will do the same to his wife and/or child(ren)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: