U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM

135 posts, read 203,521 times

Advertisements

I lived in Gainesville in 2010-2011 in a 650 sf older ground floor apartment and my electric bill never went over $100 a month. I moved away, and moved back last May. I was sharing a house for awhile, so the bills were a little over $100 each, which included garbage and water, so not too bad. I moved into a 725 sf house with almost all brand new double-pane energy efficient windows and my bills are OUTRAGEOUS! I have a brand new electric heating unit which I keep on 68-70 all the time, and my electric alone was $217 last month! We did have a few nights in the 20s, but nothing that would justify that. Needless to say, I was in sticker shock. My total bill was $287.

I'm seriously considering going back to SW Florida, or at least moving out of Gainesville. I heard that they had a big project that they went belly-up on and now they are the highest priced utility in the state because they have to pay off the bonds. I seriously can't afford these rates. I now have my heat set on 60 and am living in my bedroom which I heat with a small, efficient space heater, so if I get another $200 electric bill, I'll know something is up. I have a feeling they estimated this bill, because it wasn't much different than the usage for last year.

There are a couple of apartment complexes here that are on Clay electric (don't ask me how they managed that) that I'm looking at in the meantime, but I'm seriously thinking that I need to go back to a place I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or