Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM

11 posts, read 15,803 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about retiring and moving to Mt. Dora. Does anyone have any information on it? The rental apartments, crimes, and the overall area. It's beautiful and seems laid back but I wanted more information before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 PM

71 posts, read 325,441 times
Me and my husband have been looking into moving to Mount Dora for almost two years now. The only problem I seen so far is the home prices and new homes with high H.O.A fees, plus taxes are very high. It looks like you can get a decent house for like 300k. That is a lot of money and we want to pay less. I would like to know from people who live in Mount Dora the good areas to live verses the bad areas. I know it is a small town, we have driven threw there a bunch of times and even looked at homes with a realtor, but my realtor cannot tell me the bad/good areas. She just told me "go with your instinct". We will be moving there most likely the end of 2016, possibly early 2017. 21flip21, I know this does not help you any but I am looking for some advice etc myself about the city.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:51 AM

230 posts, read 427,784 times
FloridaDragon, when you mention high taxes in Mt. Dora, what taxes are you comparing them to? Ocala's or ???

Old 09-29-2015, 11:13 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Well, there is mainly one "bad" area, which is boxed in between East of Donnelly, North of 5th Ave, West of 441, and South of Limit.
Aside from that, there are minor pockets of "rough" areas but are mostly limited to single blocks. The majority of the town is "good," and you can easily find homes for rent (good homes) away from HOA areas. I'm not sure about apartments, but I know you can find small, nice rental houses in places like Dorset and Mountclair.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 1 day ago)

19,661 posts, read 20,471,396 times
What does "rough" areas mean?
Like a few blocks of full blown hood/ghetto?
A few houses with Camaros on cinder blocks on the front lawn?
Dudes with mullets chain smoking on the porch drinking beer?
A few blocks of brown lawns or not as well kept homes?
I'm Really curious because I read this a lot about decent/good towns with "rough" areas so I just really would like to know what rough means.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:09 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What does "rough" areas mean?
Like a few blocks of full blown hood/ghetto?
A few houses with Camaros on cinder blocks on the front lawn?
Dudes with mullets chain smoking on the porch drinking beer?
A few blocks of brown lawns or not as well kept homes?
I'm Really curious because I read this a lot about decent/good towns with "rough" areas so I just really would like to know what rough means.
Pretty much everything you mentioned.
The boxed-in area I mentioned is hood/ghetto.

The few blocks I mentioned would have your shirtless dudes with mullets chain smoking on the porch drinking beer and brown lawns.

They're easy to spot, and easily avoided.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:49 PM

71 posts, read 325,441 times
Taxes in Mount Dora are more then most of central Fl taxes. I have been looking in many cities for years. My Realtor I have in Mount Dora said taxes are higher because of all the down town events etc. She has lived there for 30 years.

Last edited by floridadragon; 12-20-2015 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add what realtor said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala