U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:54 AM

46 posts, read 71,696 times

Advertisements

A quick look through the threads reveals the following:

Gainesville Regional Utilities and City of Ocala Utilities should be added to the terrorist watch list for "terrorizing" people with their absurd rates

Duke is only marginally better but still high and charging people for a plant they never intend to build

Sumter, Clay, and most of the other Co-Ops are fair for the most part

FPL is the best

In many of the threads, people (including me) complain about our bills. Some have stated paying over $300-$500 per MONTH, EVERY MONTH which is downright scary. A lot of these folks list the Sqftage of their homes which can be anywhere from 1500 to over 4000 Sqft.

One thing that I don't see listed as much is actual consumption.

So I wanted to start a thread where people could compare their actual bills/consumption rates with the various other Electric companies. This can help to give a better estimation to those moving into the area what they can expect. For example, only once in the last 4 years as my family's usage exceeded 1,000 KW whereas some people may have an average higher than that attributing to the higher bill.

So to be *fair* to your Electric company, if you can find and post one of your "highest" bills over the past 12 months and compare it to your "lowest" bill. I think this will give people a better estimate on what they are dealing with.

If people like, they could compare the water/sewage rates too but that may involve another company (i.e. Marion County) to add in with the Electrical bill unlike GRU and Ocala who provide all services under one bill.

So with that said, I'll start. I have Gainesville Regional Utilities, otherwise known as GRU or GR(Blue)

We are relatively conservative people when it comes to usage. I live in an Apartment Complex called Asbury Park with my Grandmother and mother. It's about 1,500 sqft with a garage. Our usage in the extreme hot and cold periods can get close to 1,000 KW, but usually doesn't cross that. But to maintain that, in the summer our Apt is on 84 and in the Winter on 76. It's impossible to get the temp in the Apt in the summer under 80 unless it were running non-stop 24/7 which we refuse to do given the rates.

My highest Bill was January this year when the cold snap came through:
We used 1,029 KW and 5K Gallons for Water/Wastewater Charges. The Electric Portion + Taxes was approximately $175 and Water/Wastewater + Taxes was approximately $65 giving me a total bill of $240.66! By contrast, when we lived in Port St Lucie and had FPL the same usage plus the water charges through St Lucie West as a total never exceeded $150.

My lowest Bill was October during the period where it wasn't excessively hot or cold. We used only 608 KWh which is extremely low and only 3K Gallons for Water/Wastewater Charges. The Electric portion of that amount plus taxes was around $95 and the Water plus taxes, around $53 for a total of $148. By contrast, when we lived in Port St Lucie and I was deployed and it was just my mom and grandma, they had usage as low as 500KW and when the water charges were added the combined bill was less than GRU's portion of the Electric Bill.

I don't have the exact breakdowns of the Taxes and Power Cost Adjustment fees because I'm not enrolled in e-bill, but I do know they are extremely high and what drives the final rate up, and is something not reflected in the handout that does the report on all of Florida's Electric companies using 1,000 KW as the standard and attempting to make GRU look like a "middle cost" provider when they are actually much higher.

Anybody else? Would love to see someone with Ocala post. I feel bad for you guys because it's hard for me to imagine a company worse than GRU. And I lived in Baltimore and had BGE and thought when I moved back to FL that I'd never see rates like that again. Sumter, Clay, Duke, FPL please chime in as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
Our Duke bills have been approximately 60% of what they were when we lived within Ocala city limits four years ago, our home is nearly 1,000sqft larger than it was then, and we keep our a/c an average of 4 degrees cooler during the summer. It's an absolute atrocity within city limits. There are tons of apartment renters in Ocala paying upwards of $400 - $500 each month to keep their 800 - 1,100sqft units at 78 - 80 degrees.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,098,202 times
We just moved to Alachua County from South Florida where we had FP&L for our heat and air, and Sunrise for our water and sewer. We're also watching our utility bills to see if there is a big change, or not.

We are renting right now and have GRU for gas and water, and Clay for electric. When I get the Clay bill I will post the consumption. I thought it would also be interesting to post the gas and water for GRU, just so people have as much information as possible.

For gas we used 65 therms (this was calculated from mid-month February to mid-March), and the total cost, including the state and county taxes, and various surcharges was $89.09. For water we used 4 kGals and the total cost, including county tax, and wastewater charges and wastewater billing charges was $66.33.

I will post the information from the Clay bill as soon as I receive it. For now, compared to South Florida, we are saving money on the water and wastewater charges. Sunrise has to be the most expensive in Broward County and it wasn't unusual for us to pay on average $100 a month, sometimes more. In South Florida, especially living in a HOA, you have to keep your yard up by watering it on your designated days, and you want to keep your pool full if it's not raining. Although we are renting in an HOA up here in Alachua, everyone expects the yard to dry out during the winter and turn green again in spring and summer. So so far, there's a savings on water, but as for the heating and a/c bill, that's still up for debate. We had a very good energy efficient unit at our home in South Florida which cut our bills nearly in half when we had it installed close to 10 years ago. So we'll see what, if any savings, we see up here with Clay electric.

The realtors certainly use Clay electric as a selling (or renting) feature up here. GRU appears to have a very bad reputation for being expensive.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 AM

4,290 posts, read 3,608,916 times
I find my electric bill (Duke) very reasonable. 1800 square foot house. Lowest bills are during the winter, average around $70. Highest bills during the summer, average around $130. No complaints from me.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM

Nice to hear.

We just signed a lease for a house in SECO territory. Hoping that will bring some relief from the GRU-blues.

Also, anybody want to chime in about Cable? Don't get me started with Cox (or Comcast for that matter).

I remember way back in 2002-2005 when I lived in Montgomery, AL and had Charter and every digital channel imaginable and paid $41.95 per month. When the military moved me to Montgomery and I wanted to keep the equivalent package with Comcast, it was almost $80. When we moved back to FL and I bundled with Comcast, it was almost $200 for all the highest packages. Wanted to downgrade when we moved to Gainesville because nobody watched HBO or any of the other premium channels, but since I moved in at the same time everyone did, Cox didn't have any deals and started at $177. Two years later after taxes, regular digital cable + Internet + Phone was $230!

Where we're going it appears is going to be CenturyLink or DECCA for cable/bundles. Anybody have any decent opinions of them? What about U-verse or Fios?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

I'll chime in about Cable. We had AT&T Uverse in South Florida. Prior to getting Uverse, we had Direct TV satellite dish and even though we were happy with the offerings and price, it was so buggy when it rained. What did it for us was when we were hit with a few hurricanes (Wilma and Ivan if I remember correctly) and our neighbors who had Uverse got back their TV once the electric went back on (I think with Wilma it was about 12 hours or so we were without power, not too bad) but for us, with the dish, it took longer -- I wish I could remember how long, but I just remember we were aggravated for a while, and happy to catch the local channels on our portable TV.

We've had a love-hate relationship with Uverse, but decided we were going to keep it up here in Alachua County. However, Uverse TV and phone isn't offered in our neighborhood -- the cable is, but to unbundle the service, we would be paying extra. So for now, we are with Cox, and I like it enough, although my husband is't too happy about their not providing a second TIVO DVR for us, the way Uverse did.

In South Florida, we had Uverse u450, with 440 channels, that included HBO, Cinemax, ShowTime, Espn, etc etc etc. Price was $175 a month, not including the bundled services of internet and phone. I don't know what the unbundled price would be. My husband chose a cheaper package from Cox up here -- Cox Advanced TV/Contour Package and Sports & Information Package and it has 220 channels and includes HBO and ESPN but not Cinemax or ShowTime. The cost is $131, as a bundled package. I have no idea what the unbundled cost would be. Since our packages are slightly different between Uverse and Cox, I'm really not comparing apples to apples, I don't think. Just a hunch, but I would suspect that if we opted for the same type of package with Cox that we had with Uverse, our cost would be about the same.

Hope this helps for someone shopping around. We briefly looked at unbundled services (separate providers for TV, internet and phone) but it just seemed that you got a better deal by bundling, but of course, that could also depend on the range of channels you want -- and we do like some of the premium and sports channels.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Opps, meant to type that Uverse internet is offered where we are in Alachua. They are hoping to expand to cable and phone but I don't know when that would be.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:35 PM

Just got my last GRU bill before we move.

$176

We only used 729 KW and 3K of water/wastewater.

That is ridiculously high for that low usage.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Im outside of Ocala. I dont have cable...we dont have it out here, but I do have Dish. Just the basic channels, Im not much of a tv person. Internet is thru Windstream, I think its about $55 a month.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Okay, just looked at my last bill from Duke, read date was 2/26, so of course it will be less than it will be in July. Used 550 KW, bill is $81. I dont have a water bill, Im on a well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or