U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 PM

20 posts, read 50,302 times

Advertisements

I’m from New England and we don’t have to spray for termites. We just purchased a home in Dunnellon w/ a termite bond and we’re wondering if it’s worth keeping the bond or not. From what I understand the state only allows spraying every 8-12 years and that the yearly fee (for the bond) is really just an insurance policy, in case you do get termites. Should we continue w/ the bond or is it just a scam for yearly payments? Can’t I just have the house sprayed again when it needs it? Do homeowner policies cover termite damage? What are the chances of having termite damage? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 AM

464 posts, read 802,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltown Maple View Post
I’m from New England and we don’t have to spray for termites. We just purchased a home in Dunnellon w/ a termite bond and we’re wondering if it’s worth keeping the bond or not. From what I understand the state only allows spraying every 8-12 years and that the yearly fee (for the bond) is really just an insurance policy, in case you do get termites. Should we continue w/ the bond or is it just a scam for yearly payments? Can’t I just have the house sprayed again when it needs it? Do homeowner policies cover termite damage? What are the chances of having termite damage? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
If it were me, I would keep the bond. Termites ARE a very real threat here in Florida. We have both above ground and subterranean varieties. In new construction, the foundation site is treated before construction. That has a lifespan of approximately 8-10 years or so. The initial company will usually offer a termite bond to the owner that May or may not be transferable. The bond should specify exactly what that company offers.

In my case, I bought a house that was built in 2005. The initial treatment and one year follow-up was done as evidenced by the sticker inside my electrical panel. My initial termite inspection showed no sign of termites or damage. This was in 2011. I replaced ALL mulch around my house with landscape fabric and river rock. In hot, humid Fl, mulch is an open invitation to bugs and termites. I don't do either. I laid down diazinon before the rock. In subsequent years, pest control was a DIY situation. Fast forward to a month ago. A neighbor had a tree cut down a year ago, leaving a stump level with the wood fence that ran on either side of the tree. As I sat by the pool one morning, I saw a swarm of termites coming from that stump. The whole 6 foot tall, 2 foot diameter stump appeared to one living mass. If there was one, there was a million, I sh*t you not. After notifying my neighbor, I called Florida Pest Control.

They came out, gave me a reasonable price, and did a fantastic, professional job for under a thousand. That included laying down granules for fire ants that has the same active ingredient as the termite spray. My property was completely treated outside. Yard, rock, foundation, 75 feet of pool lanai drilling, flower beds. Done. I will keep the termite bond and once a year, they will come out, inspect, and spot treat high risk areas, such as around the air conditioner. If I even suspect I have a problem, they come out at no charge. Any damage will be repaired. Every 8 years, a complete retreatment will be done at the same level as the original for no additional charge. Above ground are controlled with sprays around eaves, windows. And any possible point of above ground entry. Subterranean varieties are treated by trenching and saturation of the soil around your foundation. Lanais and any other concrete patio pads should be drilled every foot or so and pesticides injected. The holes are then plugged and barely noticeable when done.

After going through all this, and getting an education, I just spent a weekend with a cousin in Lutz, south of here. She has a wood frame, high dollar beautiful home. It is now being practically rebuilt in most areas due to termite damage with no bond. She has been out of the house since January and hopes to be back in by August. All out of pocket expenses, and has to bring everything up to code. Windows, wiring, plumbing ......it's a mess.

With a reputable company, a termite bond is cheap insurance.

Of course, I could be wrong

Dax

Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 PM

20 posts, read 50,302 times
Dax - thank you for the info. I think we have decided to go w/ the bond. Better safe than sorry!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,227,082 times
Quote:
Dax - thank you for the info. I think we have decided to go w/ the bond. Better safe than sorry!
I think you've probably made a good decision. I have a buddy who built a custom home in Ocala just outside of Dunnellon some years ago. A handful of years later, his family was forced to stay with relatives for months after termites ravaged the home. Until all was said and done, he ended up coming out-of-pocket well over five figures after the insurance company laughed (literally) at him.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:52 PM

464 posts, read 802,564 times
Quote:
You are welcome. For your own peace of mind, I suggest asking the company that is doing the bond to explain EXACTLY how their program works. Then get a copy and actually read it. My rep explained the program as I related here. When I read the contract, there was no mention of the complete re-application in the 8th year. When I challenged him to show me where it was written, he searched through, as well. He couldn't pinpoint it either, but was happy to add it into the contract that we both dated and signed. I am satisfied. Florida Pest Control is no fly-by-night company.

Anyway.....if it isn't in writing, it doesn't exist. Never settle for oral.

And OpInOc is right.....homeowners' insurance will sympathize with you, but won't cover a dime.

BTW....welcome and congrats on the move to Florida!

Dax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala