Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those not living in gated communities where you can meet and mingle with others your age at the Community Centers or club houses. How are you meeting other people and making friends? Are you finding yourself isolated at all? Lonely? If you lost your spouse have you found the friends you had (other couples) dropping you? Are the people OUTSIDE the gated communities generally friendly with get togethers BBQs, coming over for coffee etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I have a question for those not living in gated communities where you can meet and mingle with others your age at the Community Centers or club houses. How are you meeting other people and making friends? Are you finding yourself isolated at all? Lonely? If you lost your spouse have you found the friends you had (other couples) dropping you? Are the people OUTSIDE the gated communities generally friendly with get togethers BBQs, coming over for coffee etc?
I don't. I lead a cloistered, hermetic life. I park my car in the garage so that the only time you see me is coming or going. Once the garage door is down, all visual sighting opportunities are gone, save for the daily scurry to the mailbox or the twice weekly garbage can set-out/retrieval. My blinds are closed to the front and I don't peek through. I do not walk the hood with a clipboard or measuring tape. I mow the yard early Sunday mornings to encourage others to seek their redemption elsewhere. Ditto with the pressure washer. I can count my friends with one hand, and that is sufficient. Friends, like relatives, are best kept to a 500 mile minimum radius. Isolated? Ha! I live in a world of my own construction, with no invitations sent out. Others oblige me since that nasty little rumor went out about former spouses being buried in the back yard. Yeppers, it is tough out here outside the gate.

Seriously, though, we live in a great little area outside the gates, enjoy our neighbors, when we see them, and are young enough to entertain ourselves. Our lives, from childhood on, have always been pretty much self--contained and much less dependent on interaction with others. I can go days without talking to anyone, including my spouse, who does the same.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 PM

113 posts, read 220,078 times
Where I used to live, people were friendly. I think the older communities (age of the creation of the community, not necessarily the age of the people) are more cohesive and friendly. Lot sizes are smaller. Completely developed. You have more people that are from the south so a bit friendlier. Also, old houses are more conducive to neighborhood cohesion.
I also used to live in the Shores. That place was very isolating. It is barely developed, and people kept to themselves.
I suggest the historic district or any areas right around there.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
.....Seriously, though, we live in a great little area outside the gates, enjoy our neighbors, when we see them, and are young enough to entertain ourselves. Our lives, from childhood on, have always been pretty much self--contained and much less dependent on interaction with others. I can go days without talking to anyone, including my spouse, who does the same.
Yes, some folks do like to keep to themselves more or less. Nothing wrong with that. But my husband and I, who live in a semi-rural area, find we miss being around others our age that we have things in common with. We seldom see our neighbors and close friends have either moved away or passed away. Due to their jobs, the few family members we had here have also moved away. We snow-bird in the Ocala area in RV parks and Resorts where there is plenty to do at the clubhouses and lots of friendly people to meet and spend time with. But rather than live in an RV, I would like to buy a house in the Silver Springs area. However a few people I've spoken to in FL last winter told me we'd be in the same situation there as we are here in TN unless we moved to a Gated Community, an RV or Mobile Home park. They're the only places where we would be with others from the northern states also looking for friends and companionship. Where we can make friends. Real friends, not just acquaintances. It seems the clubhouses make all the difference where meeting others and making friends are concerned. I was told living in a regular neighborhood, there is no way to get to meet large numbers of non-Floridians also looking to meet others.

We don't want to move to a neighborhood in FL to find ourselves in the same situation we're in here.

Last edited by =^..^=; 08-05-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack86 View Post
Where I used to live, people were friendly. I think the older communities (age of the creation of the community, not necessarily the age of the people) are more cohesive and friendly. Lot sizes are smaller. Completely developed. You have more people that are from the south so a bit friendlier.
You find people from the south friendly? Not here in TN. Not the seniors anyway. They're cliquish and clannish and impossible to make friends with. They tend to stay to themselves, their lives revolving around their family and church. They are never more than acquaintances, even though friendly to your face. Where did you and your spouse go to meet people to make real friends? People to have over for a BBQ or coffee or to go out to lunch with - maybe a shopping trip for the women, etc?

Quote:
Also, old houses are more conducive to neighborhood cohesion.
I also used to live in the Shores. That place was very isolating. It is barely developed, and people kept to themselves.
I suggest the historic district or any areas right around there.
Once moved to say, a Historic District - were do seniors go to meet other people who are not native Floridians? We are not drinkers and are not interested in bars or clubs.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Many senior centers have a variety of activities, interest groups, and classes. Some also have congregate lunches daily and also excursions to local attractions. It has really helped keep us from staying alone and bored. We've made some good friends and we usually eat lunch together but the group varies enough to keep it interesting. We've all agreed not to discuss either religion or politics so it has been great!

Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Many senior centers have a variety of activities, interest groups, and classes. Some also have congregate lunches daily and also excursions to local attractions. It has really helped keep us from staying alone and bored. We've made some good friends and we usually eat lunch together but the group varies enough to keep it interesting. We've all agreed not to discuss either religion or politics so it has been great!
Thanks for that information. I'll have to look into where these senior centers are in Silver Springs and Belleview, our two favorite areas. I want friends close by where I can walk to their house and not like here were we had to drive miles to see anyone.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
The only senior center I've visited in Florida is in Gulfport and it is a wonderful one. Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
This group has a few community functions that are not medically related. They have a quarterly publication you shoukd look at.
Munroe Regional Medical Center | prestige55

Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
This group has a few community functions that are not medically related. They have a quarterly publication you shoukd look at.
Munroe Regional Medical Center | prestige55
I don't think Monroe is anywhere near Silver Springs or Belleview. It doesn't look like a place to go to meet people and make friends in the neighborhood. Who is this post aimed at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala