U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,797 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived in West Palm Bch in the 80s/90s and left because (among other things) crime was terrible, the schools stunk, and we decided it was not a nice place to raise a family. We have been in Wisconsin since then. The kids are grown and we are tired of winter and are considering moving back south. We have five acres out in the country up here and I have become attached to rural life, so am interested in that type of setting. I am currently considering something in the Ocala/Orlando/Tampa triangle. I am self employed so will be able to work at home, my wifes current commute to work is about twenty minutes, so would be nice if she could find work (general office/secretarial) without having to go much farther than that. Also, what about crime? I went from living under 24hr lock and key in West Palm to not even carrying keys and never locking anything up here. Where in that spectrum would this area put me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM

4,965 posts, read 4,358,140 times
Try Marion county. (Ocala is biggest city) Less than 400,000 in a county the size of VT.
Plenty of open space.
Very active sheriff see Marion County Sheriff | Sheriff Chris Blair, located in Ocala, FL
There are crime maps etc.Also look on Facebook for Sheriff and Marion County for current info.Both groups posts. There is a daily crime report posted to face book as I recall.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 AM

7,106 posts, read 3,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw Dust View Post
My wife and I lived in West Palm Bch in the 80s/90s and left because (among other things) crime was terrible, the schools stunk, and we decided it was not a nice place to raise a family. We have been in Wisconsin since then. The kids are grown and we are tired of winter and are considering moving back south. We have five acres out in the country up here and I have become attached to rural life, so am interested in that type of setting. I am currently considering something in the Ocala/Orlando/Tampa triangle. I am self employed so will be able to work at home, my wifes current commute to work is about twenty minutes, so would be nice if she could find work (general office/secretarial) without having to go much farther than that. Also, what about crime? I went from living under 24hr lock and key in West Palm to not even carrying keys and never locking anything up here. Where in that spectrum would this area put me?
If you left Florida in the 1990's I suggest you scratch off Orlando off your list. I am originally from Miami and moved to the Orlando area 10 years ago and you would not recognize Orlando today to the Orlando of the 1990's when I visited from Miami for business.
Believe it or not the Crime News on TV in Orlando takes up about 10 minutes of the newscast everyday with home invasions and robberies. I am actually considering moving back to Miami as it gentrifies.
I can't comment as to Ocala (I hear it's nice) or Tampa since I haven't been to either.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,797 times
The city of Orlando is out of the question, as is pretty much every other city, what I would like to find is something south of Ocala and north of Lake Okeechobee. We still know a few people in the West Palm area and my wifes father lives in Jacksonville, so have reasons to go to either the north or south end of that range. What I want is something rural/unincorporated, ideally without a neighbor in sight. I have been comparing crime rates around the state and they seem to have been dropping across the board over the last ten years. Not quite like they are up here, but probably better than they were in the early 90s. I posted this in the Ocala section because it had to go somewhere, but I am open to a pretty wide range of locations. So, rural between Ocala and Okeechobee, what do you say?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 42,639 times
The areas near the coast between Tampa and Levy County are quite nice, there are some very beautiful rural areas. But, the areas are still crowded and underdeveloped.

You'll definitely want to consider Marion county. Plenty of land to be found, plenty of development if you ever do want to go to the city, and decent areas. Pay attention to northern Marion county, and southeastern Marion county, near Bellview.

McIntosh is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or