U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,418,153 times

Advertisements

Actually 75K - 125K is what I'm looking at for retirement property.

The houses look like good neighborhoods, most of them are 2004 built and up, 1,500 to 2,500 square foot homes. Some even have 2-3 acres. Here in Seattle a house this price nets you a Home Depot Style shed on a postage stamped sized lot in the ghetto. Are these houses in Dunnellon in the above price range in bad neighborhoods or something??

I'm a 30 something year old IT professional who is looking at retiring to Florida soon and is bringing his money with him, no need for work, though it would be nice to have the option to at least commute 1.5 hours one way to IT work. Biggest thing is I just want to make sure I have peace and quiet and am left alone. I'm thinking acreage is a safe bet for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM

464 posts, read 798,388 times
Dunnellon is nice, but rural. Southern rural. You can find peace and quiet, be left alone, and have access to wonderful parks, trails, rivers, and springs. Decent clean beaches are an hour away starting in Dunedin and south. Employment is scarce and most commute to Ocala for employment. They also must commute to get to a grocery store other than WalMart or WinnDixie, Home Depot or Lowes to buy that shed, shopping, or medical facilities. It is a town on the verge of bankruptcy, and had to ask Marion County to run their police department while they figure out if they can afford to maintain it themselves. Homes with acreage are likely to have their own well and septic. The homes built in 2004 and up were built in the boom years after the hurricanes of 2004 brought many people to our area. Unfortunately, the bust hit here hard and jobs here never have paid enough. (Our EMTs make under 10 bucks an hour.) Couple all of the above with the price of gas and a long commute, and Dunnellon is not high on the desirability list for your demographic. I would suggest you visit before buying.
'

Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,418,153 times
Thanks for the info. By the time I retire to Florida I won't need to work, but I would prefer the option to, though, push come to shove, I can always get a remote work from home IT gig. What is more concerning is the sink holes prevalent in Florida, especially west central Florida according to studies...

Old 07-01-2015, 03:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 4,366,794 times
When the time comes move to Marion County and rent. This will give you time to look around.
Don't worry about sink holes.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 AM

49 posts, read 55,303 times
TAC-SEA or Sea Tac...I have been looking hard in this area and Citrus County for a while (2 mths). Even though I was looking hard at Pine Ridge and Crystal River I just purchase a place outside of Dunnellon. I am retired now and the prices I saw were all over the map. Many people wanting to much for their homes. Prices were more realistic in this area in my view. I just purchase a home on 2 acres with well and Septic for $169,000. It was a bankruptcy home but what do I care. Another thing I found out was here in Florida they like to use Total SqFt under roof rather than living space Sq Ft. This confused me because nobody I know cares about under roof measurements. The would even calculate the price per Sq Ft based on the under roof dimension. I also found that several homes I considered were misrepresented. They were advertised as being one size and after I measured it out they were 300 sq ft short. Thats not a simple mistake. Even after I pointed it out they didn't change the listing info. I wanted something on the water at first but homes I saw were older and needing updating. Seemed that the better homes sell fast. I missed several homes that I would loved to have had at the price they sold for but I was late to find them. Realtors are little help here and don't know or do much in my view. Every home I found, I found on Zillow and then called the realtor to show it to me. None of the 4-5 realtors (well one was okay) that I dealt with contacted me to say I have a home that you should look at. Some didnt even drive you around they just meet you at the property ... Who needs that. Buy Owners were unrealistic and hoping a cash buyer would solve all their problems. I was going to have a home built but just didn't get any warm fuzzy feeling from any builders I spoke to. So look here with open eyes.

I would also recommend that you reconsider your thinking on purchasing now for a retirement place in 30 yrs. I did that about 30 yrs ago. I purchase a canal lot in eastern Fl for 13K and just sold it for 30K without a realtor. If I added up the property taxes I paid over that time and other costs I would be lucky to break even. Florida taxes empty properties very high in my view. There was a time that I was paying more taxes for the vacant lot I owned that the guy next door who had a house on his lot. So I would recommend you put your money in something else. Maybe a blue chip stock or a mutual S&P fund. You will come out further ahead all things considered.

So do what your will and good luck. As for me once I get this house I will get busy with retiring and doing what old people do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala