U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,609,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianecda View Post
I notices that Ocala area seems have more large trees, and appears to have rolling green hills. Does this make the summers more tolerable? Or is this area just as hot and humid as the rest of Florida?
You can check with an online weather service and see what the temps there are in the summer. I use the NWS. Whenever I check the summer temps in Ocala are not far different than here in middle TN. But the winters in Ocala are much warmer, more pleasant. Summers here in TN are hot and humid - think the 90s like FL. Staying outside is very uncomfortable and can even be dangerous.

We generally spend from Dec 1st to April 1st in the Ocala area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 4,023,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Those of us who live here stay indoors whenever possible with air conditioning most of the year. At least we don't have to shovel snow.
Y'all act like that's the worst thing to do in the world lol After this hot summer, I am WISHING I could be shovelling snow soon! My dad down in Miami, he's the same way. Rather put up with snow than the southern heat.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 AM

I dunno why you think rolling hills and big trees make a difference. The hills in Ocala are tiny, not like it's mountains and trees don't offer much help when it is really humid anyway. Summer is summer. It's hot all over the south, but the good thing about Ocala is that it is north enough to get fall relief, though not a whole lot, but they're likely to see the 60s and 50s in October way before South Florida does. The earlier the cool air comes, the easier summer is to deal with, which is why I prefer northern Texas to Florida, even though Florida summers are slightly cooler and at least rainier.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Not having to shovel snow or drive on ice or wear a coat and pants to take the garbage out.
Driving in Florida highways with Floridians on the road is more dangerous than on simply icy roads

I assure you, having to mow the lawn for more months than most places, and sweating to the bone is not exactly pleasant either. Wearing a coat to take out the trash is a first world problem.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 AM

4,066 posts, read 6,810,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Y'all act like that's the worst thing to do in the world lol After this hot summer, I am WISHING I could be shovelling snow soon! My dad down in Miami, he's the same way. Rather put up with snow than the southern heat.
I never said that that staying inside with air conditioning was a bad thing. It is merely a known fact.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:54 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,294,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I never said that that staying inside with air conditioning was a bad thing. It is merely a known fact.
Thing is - the tourism boards brag about how it's always lovely and warm in Florida, and that is a selling point. And - a lot of people come to Florida to escape the cold elsewhere. Then they get to Florida, and spend most of their time inside, in the A/C. Just seems kind of pointless to me.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,781,055 times
Me, too.
A friend who lived in Ocala never left the house without
a towel wrapped around his neck.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM

71 posts, read 295,388 times
I have lived in Boca Raton, West Palm, Port Saint Lucie, and now I am in Ocala for 9 years. Being in Ocala is so much better then south Florida. From October to Dec you can keep your windows open, January and February get cooler being around 30- 40 at night and 50- 70 in the day. We usually get a few freezes at night going into the teens. From around may- sept is hot. Having half of June, all of July, and all of August being very hot. I have also lived in Marietta GA and it is hot there also in the summer. But Ocala is not as bad as south fl with the heat I find. A few months though you won't be able to stand it outside more then 15 minutes doing yard work. Overall the weather is very tolerable and better then alot of cites in FL I have found.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 PM

36 posts, read 25,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, but do bring a sweater, the A/C in many places is a bit chilly. You won't want to be outside mid-day, during the summer.
Husband and I are considering a move to Ocala. We currently live in the Nashville TN area. One of the things we do most days is stop in the afternoon at Starbucks, drink some coffee, read, etc. Our Starbucks in Nashville area have been like meat lockers! Corporate in Seattle controls the temp and they allow the employees to move thermostat up 2/down 2. For anyone that hangs out at Starbucks, are they too cold to hang out at? Are restaurants too cold to enjoy eating out? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,781,055 times
Restaurants aren't too cold, but always bring a light wrap.

Just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or