U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 PM
 
464 posts, read 798,170 times
Reputation: 499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
Husband and I are considering a move to Ocala. We currently live in the Nashville TN area. One of the things we do most days is stop in the afternoon at Starbucks, drink some coffee, read, etc. Our Starbucks in Nashville area have been like meat lockers! Corporate in Seattle controls the temp and they allow the employees to move thermostat up 2/down 2. For anyone that hangs out at Starbucks, are they too cold to hang out at? Are restaurants too cold to enjoy eating out? Thanks.
Is this a deal breaker when considering a move to Ocala? Is this why you are leaving Nashville? Don't you just hate out-of-state control of the thermostat? Are you now buying bagged Starbucks to brew yourselves in the comfort of your home? How are you handling this situation now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 PM
 
36 posts, read 25,163 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Is this a deal breaker when considering a move to Ocala? Is this why you are leaving Nashville? Don't you just hate out-of-state control of the thermostat? Are you now buying bagged Starbucks to brew yourselves in the comfort of your home? How are you handling this situation now?
We are retired and the Nashville area isn't getting as many sunny days and too much fluctuating weather. Since last Friday we've been getting the rain and dreary cold from the east coast Joaquin hurricane system. Today was REALLY COLD!!! Last three years, too much weather like this. We've been tracking your weather on our iPhone weather apps since then. Yes, you fluctuate and a lot of times these systems affect you. But not as many days and not as bad. The hot humid summers don't bother us, in fact, we prefer more humidity than we've been getting. I know the humidity you get can be wearing. But, thank God for air conditioning...lol! Yes, all the out-of-state control of thermostats makes us mad!!! It's not a deal breaker...we get the out-of-state temp control here too! We just think moving on further South to warmer weather would be a better quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 07:12 AM
 
4,292 posts, read 3,614,015 times
Reputation: 14287
There are many many many days during the summer when its hotter up north than it is here. There may be 3 months of really hot humid weather, but even with that, you can still go outside in the morning or the evening and play outside. And then the other 9 months of the year? Best weather on the planet.

This week will be low 80's as highs, and 60's in the evening. Awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 09:59 AM
 
36 posts, read 25,163 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
There are many many many days during the summer when its hotter up north than it is here. There may be 3 months of really hot humid weather, but even with that, you can still go outside in the morning or the evening and play outside. And then the other 9 months of the year? Best weather on the planet.

This week will be low 80's as highs, and 60's in the evening. Awesome.
This is what we've thought. We get REALLY hot summers, a lot of times near 100 with real feel 108+. In the summer, visiting family in Ohio and Indiana, it can be upper 80s and the humidity make you sweat to just walk outside. You've had a slight touch of lower weather with this east coast weather right now. Not us, we dropped from sunny upper 80s a week ago to 50s, 60s. It's been cold!!! That's what we notice, these Arctic Blasts in the winter slightly affect you but we're getting blasted!!! Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 12:36 PM
 
230 posts, read 315,952 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
This is what we've thought. We get REALLY hot summers, a lot of times near 100 with real feel 108+. In the summer, visiting family in Ohio and Indiana, it can be upper 80s and the humidity make you sweat to just walk outside. You've had a slight touch of lower weather with this east coast weather right now. Not us, we dropped from sunny upper 80s a week ago to 50s, 60s. It's been cold!!! That's what we notice, these Arctic Blasts in the winter slightly affect you but we're getting blasted!!! Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated!
The changes in Tennessee weather, longer hotter summers and somewhat colder winters, are due to global warming, which predicts increases in weather extremes. We have noticed them too here in East Tennessee, although we haven't seen the extremes you are talking about.

But you seem to be focused on past weather extremes in Ocala, what was instead of what will be. I think you are making a mistake. Florida is subject to the same weather pattern changes as everywhere else. You need to focus on what it is like now and what it will be like in the future. My own prediction, base on some local knowledge down there, is somewhat hotter summers and somewhat colder winters, but zero beach erosion, unlike the coastal communities.

So look on the bright side. If you move to Ocala, the summers will probably be as hot or hotter than you experience in Nashville. The winters won't be as cold or as long, and it will probably be at least 50 years before your place down there becomes coastal waterfront.

Last edited by FrogCross; 10-03-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 07:13 AM
 
422 posts, read 325,892 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
Husband and I are considering a move to Ocala. We currently live in the Nashville TN area. One of the things we do most days is stop in the afternoon at Starbucks, drink some coffee, read, etc. Our Starbucks in Nashville area have been like meat lockers! Corporate in Seattle controls the temp and they allow the employees to move thermostat up 2/down 2. For anyone that hangs out at Starbucks, are they too cold to hang out at? Are restaurants too cold to enjoy eating out? Thanks.
You wouldnt be able to sit on the patio in the middle of summer drinking a coffee, it will look like you jumped in a pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 PM
 
36 posts, read 25,163 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
The changes in Tennessee weather, longer hotter summers and somewhat colder winters, are due to global warming, which predicts increases in weather extremes. We have noticed them too here in East Tennessee, although we haven't seen the extremes you are talking about.

But you seem to be focused on past weather extremes in Ocala, what was instead of what will be. I think you are making a mistake. Florida is subject to the same weather pattern changes as everywhere else. You need to focus on what it is like now and what it will be like in the future. My own prediction, base on some local knowledge down there, is somewhat hotter summers and somewhat colder winters, but zero beach erosion, unlike the coastal communities.

So look on the bright side. If you move to Ocala, the summers will probably be as hot or hotter than you experience in Nashville. The winters won't be as cold or as long, and it will probably be at least 50 years before your place down there becomes coastal waterfront.
You make some great points. Living in East TN, your fluctuations probably haven't been as noticeable since you live in a higher altitude. We have been here 20 years and it's been, for the most part, very nice with temperate seasons. The last three years have been all over the place. I'm not convinced about global warming, but we are definitely experiencing climate change. If it's from the poles shifting, as a lot of professors believe, then in time new patterns should settle in. Some areas will be warmer, some cooler. But the earth's average temperature hasn't changed since around 1995. They take a 30 year window, the last one being 1951-1980. The fluctuations throughout the world have only been occurring the last 3-4 years.

I loved your last paragraph...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 PM
 
36 posts, read 25,163 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
You wouldnt be able to sit on the patio in the middle of summer drinking a coffee, it will look like you jumped in a pool
I don't doubt that...ugh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Floor e duh
89 posts, read 308,593 times
Reputation: 64
It's hot and humid so it all depends on what your use to. I spent most of my life in Alaska so it was too dang hot and humid for me but some folks like hot weather and manage just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 12,596,947 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
....So look on the bright side. If you move to Ocala, the summers will probably be as hot or hotter than you experience in Nashville. The winters won't be as cold or as long, and it will probably be at least 50 years before your place down there becomes coastal waterfront.
I doubt Ocala will ever become a coastal waterfront - it's too far inland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top