U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:06 PM

4,968 posts, read 4,360,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinboy View Post
While you are in the area looking at OTOW and The Villages, you might also take a look at Del Webb's Stone Creek. Homes are comparably priced to OTOW.
Stone Creek and OTOTW share some services and a town square. The big difference is location, even though they are on the same plot of land - Circle Square Ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco111 View Post
Do you mean TOTW residents who live in other neighborhoods can not use the Candler pool and club house but a resident of the Candler can use the pools and club houses of other neighborhoods? The Estate homes come with Florida Friendly Landscapingā„¢ with Zoysia grass and native plants which conserve natural resources
HunterĀ® multi-zoned irrigation system with rain sensor and automatic timer for grass and flower beds

Do you have this? Can you explain more about what it is?
Yes.
OTOTW started in the 80's and is probably about 1/2 way built (rough estimate) and my guess is that it will not be built out for years.
The original community was started on about 7.5 sq miles of land. The water and sewer for the area is provided by a utility that only services the community. You pay for this through a water and sewer bill. All the commercial facilities, Del Web's Stone Creek and the various sections of retirement homes built by the builder are included. Next you have an overall OTOTW that includes all the common areas several golf courses and pools, tennis courts, gym etc. All residents pay into the maintenance of these and can use the facilities. Indigo and Candler both have their own pool and club house and pay for its maintenance in their HOA fees and the other residences do not pay for these. Thus in Candler you can use any amenity you like except for the Indigo pool and club house. .

For practical purposes I think any new construction is basically the same for the items you mentioned.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 AM

113 posts, read 234,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinboy View Post
While you are in the area looking at OTOW and The Villages, you might also take a look at Del Webb's Stone Creek. Homes are comparably priced to OTOW.
I did look at Stone Creek. The prices for the new homes were comparably priced, as you said. I prefer the homes in OTOW and the retirement community, in general. But now I'm wondering why the houses are so reasonably priced near Ocala. (I did find a couple of models in Sun City south of Tampa that were okay.) I know the homes would be more expensive on the Florida coasts. But why, for instance, are the homes so modest for the same price in The Villages (which isn't on the coast)? In fact, I haven't found home models in retirement communities anywhere in the USA that come close to the ones in OTOW for the price.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I did look at Stone Creek. The prices for the new homes were comparably priced, as you said. I prefer the homes in OTOW and the retirement community, in general. But now I'm wondering why the houses are so reasonably priced near Ocala. (I did find a couple of models in Sun City south of Tampa that were okay.) I know the homes would be more expensive on the Florida coasts. But why, for instance, are the homes so modest for the same price in The Villages (which isn't on the coast)? In fact, I haven't found home models in retirement communities anywhere in the USA that come close to the ones in OTOW for the price.
Being Serious Location, Location, Location. Where I use to live the same model home could costs thousands more in a town a few miles away.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 PM

I started throwing some numbers together to get an idea of what the monthly bills would be after purchasing a home in Candler or in another regular deed neighborhood three years from now. I did this based on what the OTOTW concierge told me and what I could find on the web. Can you think of anything that I'm missing or needs adjusting?

Monthly cost of living in Candler (estate homes with regular deed). For a $300,000 home (no mortgage):

HOA $230
Property tax (1.4 x 300,000/12)= $350
Landscaper $100
Water bill $100
gas $25
electric (includes A/C) $100
Homeowners insurance ($1200/12) $100
pest control $100
internet cable upgrade $50
golf cart insurance $100

Old 08-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I started throwing some numbers together to get an idea of what the monthly bills would be after purchasing a home in Candler or in another regular deed neighborhood three years from now. I did this based on what the OTOTW concierge told me and what I could find on the web. Can you think of anything that I'm missing or needs adjusting?

Monthly cost of living in Candler (estate homes with regular deed). For a $300,000 home (no mortgage):

HOA $230
Property tax (1.4 x 300,000/12)= $350
Landscaper $100
Water bill $100
gas $25
electric (includes A/C) $100
Homeowners insurance ($1200/12) $100
pest control $100
internet cable upgrade $50
golf cart insurance $100
A few years a go there was a lot of discussions on budgets in the Villages form Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida
I would search this for items you might have missed.
Property tax - go to the Marion County Tax Assessor's site and you can look up actual bills. Note that there will be charges at the bottom that are not actually property taxes. Your number looks ok.
Landscaper if you have 100% of all work done, fertilize, trim bushes, check irrigation etc etc.could run to 2,000 a year. Your 100 is ok if you are doing some of the work. Mulch is extra not every year.
Homeowners ins. may be high unless you have sinkhole insurance and you probably can not get that..
Pest control ?? I do my own with no problems and would advise the same. Probably 100 a year. I do inside and outside every 3 months. BUT I do have a company do termite due to the insurance offered. Forget cost, probably less than 200 for the year.
Internet Why? if you want to stream 30 a month might work and 40 will. I would try 30. If just email and surfacing etc start with the package that is included in the HOA fee. Slow but works.

Golf cart is 100 or less per year.
There is a free gym and a paid gym (50/mo). Free gym is fine.
Water filter systems pop up a lot. I think you can skip them.
Not related to the home is auto insurance. Might want to through that in along with medical insurance and co pays. Won't change with the house location but you might want to get your total monthly costs also.
Entertainment is not included. I would include going out to eat here. You may find you do this more than you would budget. Again not house specific.
Back to own land vs lease. You will need to put on a new roof (I think leased people pay for this too but could be wrong) and paid the home. Say paint 7 to 10 years and roof I am not sure. Say 15 years or longer. You might want to est the costs and put some money into savings.
Appliance repair (not saying you will need at first but over time the A/C will have to be replaced etc.)
You will ref., washer and dryer if not in your 300,000.
You can get maintenance contracts on the house and appliances but I would not.
Glade to see that you cut the phone? Or is that a missing monthly expense? Cell phone reception might be a problem if using the ones we carry around. The homes have reflective aluminum on the underside of the roof to help keep the heat out. This could cut a bar off you phone. If you use the cell phone service Verizon has for homes you will not have any problem with the house phones. Add 25 per month. The pocket cell phones do work most of the time.
Gas for your car might actually be a savings as you can use your golf cart for some of the trips. Maybe a tank a month.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM

Thanks for responding. I was wondering if I even need a car down there at all. If I have a golf cart, what would I use the car for?

I do expect to use the gym a few days a week. Why is one $50 more a month? How far are they from a home in Candler Hills?

How do you do pest control yourself? A couple of years after I bought the house I'm living in now, I noticed swarms on ants coming into my house. I sprinkled some ant killer powder along my house's perimeter. The ants disappeared. And every spring for the last 23 years I've the same thing and haven't had an ant problem since. But down in Florida, it must be different due to the weather, etc. I read about termite bond somewhere.

I didn't realize the landscaping at $2,000 would be that much. The Top of the World Internet concierge told me some owners get (rock) xeriscapes. Are there any drawbacks to doing that?

For a phone I use Magic Jack. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. $100 for five years. I also got a Tracfone $100 a year or something like that. (I very rarely use it. Very poor reception).

Are there ever any venues that get crowded? Like the gym, the pools, restaurants, etc.? If so, what would be a good way to avoid the crowds. That's the main reason why I started looking for alternatives to The Villages. I heard it can get very crowded. (Then I saw the Top of the World model houses and liked them a lot more than TV.)

Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding. I was wondering if I even need a car down there at all. If I have a golf cart, what would I use the car for?

I do expect to use the gym a few days a week. Why is one $50 more a month? How far are they from a home in Candler Hills?

How do you do pest control yourself? A couple of years after I bought the house I'm living in now, I noticed swarms on ants coming into my house. I sprinkled some ant killer powder along my house's perimeter. The ants disappeared. And every spring for the last 23 years I've the same thing and haven't had an ant problem since. But down in Florida, it must be different due to the weather, etc. I read about termite bond somewhere.

I didn't realize the landscaping at $2,000 would be that much. The Top of the World Internet concierge told me some owners get (rock) xeriscapes. Are there any drawbacks to doing that?

For a phone I use Magic Jack. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. $100 for five years. I also got a Tracfone $100 a year or something like that. (I very rarely use it. Very poor reception).

Are there ever any venues that get crowded? Like the gym, the pools, restaurants, etc.? If so, what would be a good way to avoid the crowds. That's the main reason why I started looking for alternatives to The Villages. I heard it can get very crowded. (Then I saw the Top of the World model houses and liked them a lot more than TV.)
Car yes. There is a free bus service for the community that will take you up and down 200 but not sure it would work well for doctor visits, non grocery shopping etc. The county also has senior services so you could research that. However I think not having a car would be a big problem. Bring it and after a year reevaluate. You might be able to drop a car in the Villages.

The $50 gym is open to the public. More than a basic gym. The free one is for the community only and part of your monthly fees.

Pests - no difference.But I use a liquid in a sprayer. I think if you start on day one you are not going to have a bug problem.

The 2,000 is the max.A turn key situation. You can do it for less but landscaping includes more than grass cutting.

Stones - Not sure but I think you can only have about 1/2 of the lot stone. There are some homes that are 100% stone but I think the rules were changed. Stones are expensive to put in but I would think they save you money in the long run. Weeds would be the problem.

Crowed - -Mornings seem busy afternoons and evenings are not. The Gym can be half filled to also most filled in the mornings but by lunch almost empty. Golfers tell me no problems with Tee times but this is an extra cost item. Restaurants have waits up to about 20 minutes but most times no wait or less than 5 minutes. Don't think you will be closed out of anything due to the number of people signing up. It can happen for a gym class once in a while and the educational center has limits on the number of students so you could hit a limit on a field trip or if a class room filled up. This does not happen too often and the course will probably be repeated. You can go on a wait list.Water walking classes may have a problem but I am not sure. There maybe another gym in the Candler section but the builder has made no commitment and it would be a few years away.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the information and insight. There's a ton more I could ask, but I'll hold off until next summer approaches, when I plan to fly down there and do the Top of the World tour, etc.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,002 times
This has been a valuable thread to me. I just discovered OTOW last week with a huge two page spread in the Sun Sentinel here in Coral Springs FL. I am so tired of the crime, noise, traffic and just about anything else negative you can find. I really am very impressed with all I have read about OTOW but of course am also looking at other communities near by. I understand the lease and deed differences. I am very interested in the Indigo East section as well as the Candler Hills sections. I have two Cocker Spaniels, well behaved, but will this be a problem. There does not seem to be any fencing anywhere on any homesite. How possible is it to erect the temporary black iron fence panels you see at home depot for say a 10 X 10 area? Also, being a Canadian transplanted to FL years ago, and not really being "legal" I guess you could say to stay here year round (which I have done for 15 years anyways), what are the repercussions when it comes to HOA applications? How strictly is this enforced? Also, Blanco111 brought up a point which I also was told about but didn't really understand, OTOW is offering savings if you have them assist is selling your current home. Does this only apply to a new home purchase in OTOW? I am more interested in the resale properties. I am open to both deeded and leased, but leaning more to Indigo East as I love doing my own maintenance outside. Only exercise I seem to get lol! Any input here is very much appreciated. I am hoping to drive up to OTOW next month but also would like to see Summerglen and Stone Creek as well. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala