U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 AM

4,974 posts, read 4,365,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Sorry, the reference to quality of education was directed at the country and not Ocala where I know little about the system.
I have spent some time at West Port High School (SW section) and it is very impressive. You should try and visit the school if you might be using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:49 AM

14,492 posts, read 20,126,576 times
My daughter and her bf and their two girls love Ocala they live in the silver springs shores area and he has a good job there and they have a nice house and they are doing very well . Now as for the weather I cant breathe there because it is too humid for my asthma so I live in sc an 5-6 hour drive away from them and that is okay can go down on vacation when I want too . I don't know about the schools cause some of them grands not in florida schools yet . My kids have lived in fla all their lives so they say its great , for them and that is okay cause we all know we have to live separate lives from our children cant follow them everywhere . But my daughter loves the silver springs shores area of Ocala .

Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,778,526 times
It can be nice there. Ss shores.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:01 PM

105 posts, read 72,745 times
I am from Richmond. The heat only last a short time compared to Fl-6-10 months. No comparison.Mold, Bugs,mosquitos.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:02 PM

The shores is now covered up by gangs.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:04 PM

Default I did move

I had to move because you can hit rock bottom there quick and wind up in a beat up old trailer.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM

34 posts, read 26,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Florida Heat, tell us how you really feel.

I think your assessments are a little harsh, not entirely incorrect, but rather exaggerated. I have lived here 45 years and it is not as miserable as you stated. Anyone moving here should do their homework and fully understand the facts though.
Great advice!

I've lived in Florida for most of my life. Grew up on West Coast (Venice/Sarasota), then ten years in Pinellas. I've never resided in Marion County but I did work for a while for a company there in 2009. Since 2003, the Mrs and I have lived in northern Alachua County (the RED part). As dontaskwhy stated, you need to do your research. Figure out what you want/need first. I really like rural northern Marion. But for the same reason that we live where we do now: peace & quiet. I'll take Ocala over Orlando ANY day of the week.

With regard to the heat: Yes, it's brutal and goes on forever. As others have noted, other parts of the country get hotter weather but not for the 5+ months duration of Florida. The farther north you go in Florida, the more change of seasons you get. From late-October through mid-April, you can't beat it. It helps to have a swimming pool to help you to get through summer.

Someone asked about sinkholes: We don't even think about them. We have a large one on our property that sank probably several hundred years ago (that's a WAG). So it's unlikely that we'll have another one here.

All-in-all, you've got a good quality of life. Low wages are offset by reasonable cost of living. Property taxes are outrageous in Alachua. But it's blue to the max - so it comes as no surprise. You can look at surrounding counties (Levy, Gilchrist, Union, Columbia) which are poorer but have very reasonable property taxes.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:30 PM

5,678 posts, read 5,599,461 times
Thanks, jim. We are just getting settled in and so far, so good. The 200 corridor seems to have just about everything we had in the Tampa area, but it's definitely busy and takes a little getting used to. And it is not walkable, that's for sure. We'll be exploring other areas for a more permanent situation. However, living back off the main drag is quiet and very attractive visually. And right now the temps seem to be moderating. So far, I've found the people to be very nice in general, so that's a plus.

Last edited by kmarc; 10-01-2017 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 10-01-2017, 01:50 PM

Speaking of Silver Springs Shores, when I was a little kid growing up in the suburbs outside NYC, I used to see commercials on TV for Silver Springs Shores. My memory is a little vague, but as best I can recall, the actor and comedian Red Buttons used to do commercials promoting real estate in Silver Springs Shores, targeted to retirees from the mid-Atlantic states. The memorable line was "So come on down to Silver Springs Shores!" I tried to do a video search for the commercial on google, but haven't been able to find it. It was a classic, along with the commercial for Weeki-Wachee springs and the mermaid show. They'd run those commercials during the winter, of course.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Right now, early October, it's been rather breezy. Is it always like this? It's been sort of overcast, but very pleasant, IMO. I like it.

OTOH, Rte 200 is a real bear traffic-wise. Don't get me wrong, there's all sort of conveniences along the way, but when you don't know where things are, watch out! Lots of U-turns. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice living back off the main drag. Very treesy and quiet. But navigating 200 is another matter. And I thought 301 was bad, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or