U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 AM

5,686 posts, read 5,611,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
OTOW is essentially The Villages but without being too big, with less social problems, and with access to local medical care that is comparatively more focused on patients than profits.
That is interesting and good to hear. I have to admit to a bias regarding OTOW that was formed as a result of my familiarity with the OTOW condos in the Clearwater area, which were sort of a local joke. In Ocala, OTOW is very different and, it seems, a whole lot nicer. The way it is run seems to be very similar to the Kings Point 55+ community in southern Hillsborough county, and people there swear by the convenience and security.

It's nice to hear about the local medical care, too, that's sort of unusual these days. Where we came from, it seems like so many providers were like parasites on the retired/elderly population.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:38 PM

1,929 posts, read 992,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Remember Ocala has very very few hurricanes.
But doesn't Ocala have a lot of sinkholes? That is a concern of mine

Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 AM

One thing I have noticed in the short time I've been here is the quality of the natural light, at least in the area where I'm living. It's actually quite exceptional and something that used to attract artists to different parts of the country: for example the outer half of Long Island, parts of California, New Mexico, Marfa in Texas, the birchlands of Indiana, etc. In Europe, it was the south of France and some areas along the Italian coast. Parts of North Africa.

Don't misunderstand me, it's not that these areas have anything in common, because desert and mountains are very different from the coastal areas. However, artists have been known to look for a certain quality of light and if they found it somewhere, an artists' colony would spring up.

Frankly, I really haven't seen this quality of light captured in much of the Florida artwork I've seen over the years. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some lovely paintings and there have been groups of artists like the Highwaymen who have captured Florida landscapes. I did see that quality of light in one of Robert Butler's paintings and in some of Clyde Butcher's photography. But I think there's an opportunity here in the Ocala area for an artist who's looking for that sort of natural light.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,543,120 times
I’m a photographer and you are absolutely correct.

I find similar light in many of the forested areas of Central Florida. It’s a certain luminosity.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I’m a photographer and you are absolutely correct.

I find similar light in many of the forested areas of Central Florida. It’s a certain luminosity.
I even like the semi-gloomy, green-gray light under the canopy. And what a canopy it is! All those oaks and pines, sad to think how much of it has been lost to development.

Of course, there are drawbacks when you have homes sited on lots with big trees. It's all lovely and charming until there's a serious windstorm.

There's also a TON of squirrels, all over the place. I won't say they're tame like the ones I've seen at Juniper Springs that come right up looking for you to give them food, but the ones here will come close and take a look at you, or even scold you if you disturb them. All those oak trees provide lots of food for them and they scamper all over the place. Also interesting is that we've had a few hawks swoop into the yard going after a tasty squirrel, too. Haven't seen one get scooped up yet, but not for lack of trying on the part of the hawks.

Oh, and the crows. They can make quite a racket, lol.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Oh, and the drainage ditches. Did I mention the drainage ditches? Do they have a different name for them, because basically they seem to be very nicely done here, but they're YUUUUGE! More like ravines, with nice green grass. Do they ever fill up? That must be something to see.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:52 PM

4,988 posts, read 4,379,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
But doesn't Ocala have a lot of sinkholes? That is a concern of mine
There are sinkholes but I would not say a lot.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:42 PM

Of the top ten sinkhole counties in Florida, Marion County ranks #4.

Florida's Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties

Old 11-03-2017, 05:30 PM

I find that I like the quality of the water here, at least in the area where I'm living. It tastes great and seems to have less hardness and "stuff" in it than the water where I used to live. The aquifer must be pretty decent around here.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:24 AM

4,066 posts, read 6,813,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Of the top ten sinkhole counties in Florida, Marion County ranks #4.[/url]
Keep in mind that some sinkholes are very small. There is no abundance of sinkholes in Ocala, but they do happen from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or