U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,435 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to FL next year or 2 years. Ocala looked really nice and you can get a beautiful home for $250k!! So how is Ocala with crime and schools and such? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:04 AM

4,965 posts, read 4,356,230 times
Yes on 250,000. I think Ocala area is good on crime. Are you looking at the city or the county? Try googling Marion County Sheriff who publishes a lot on ongoing crime in the county. Schools??? I think in general we have a problem with the quality of education.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:33 PM

105 posts, read 72,467 times
I Have been in Florida for 35 years and it is pathetic. I am in Jax know which at least has a fall season.
The heat and humidity starts in April and doesn't let up till minimum October-November-December.
That means mold, roaches,mosquitoes, fire ants,bad tempers,torrential rain and lightning. The government is corrupt run by developers, which pillage the land and defraud the homeowners.
Highways are undersized which causes continuous traffic problem.
The landscape is a soul killer. Jobs are low paying. Alot of deranged people here seeking paradise.
No sense of community.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:31 PM

4,019 posts, read 6,781,951 times
Florida Heat, tell us how you really feel.

I think your assessments are a little harsh, not entirely incorrect, but rather exaggerated. I have lived here 45 years and it is not as miserable as you stated. Anyone moving here should do their homework and fully understand the facts though.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 AM

4,965 posts, read 4,356,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes on 250,000. I think Ocala area is good on crime. Are you looking at the city or the county? Try googling Marion County Sheriff who publishes a lot on ongoing crime in the county. Schools??? I think in general we have a problem with the quality of education.
Sorry, the reference to quality of education was directed at the country and not Ocala where I know little about the system.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:46 PM

218 posts, read 370,402 times
Florida Heat.. You think it's hot in Florida, well come to Maryland where we have hotter weather then you do. Temps in the 90's with humidity over 50%. When it rains, the humidity is worse and you feel the wetness in the air and it sticks to your clothes it so bad. Then you get the crappy winters, cold temps, lots of snow, bad drivers. It's aweful. I visit Florida all the time and the weather is much better. At least when you get T-Storms the temps go down. No here.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Default How is Ocala to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonltownsend View Post
I am planning to move to FL next year or 2 years. Ocala looked really nice and you can get a beautiful home for $250k!! So how is Ocala with crime and schools and such? Thanks
It is a great place to retire,the city is not too big, nor small. Plenty of restaurants, movie houses, schools, and a college. Also big hotels and and motels. A major Interstate runs through it (I-75) which connects with the Florida Turnpike and the Tampa and Orlando airports. Crime is low. There are many retirement communities located from 10 to 20 miles from the city. Among other things, there are two major hospitals, a
Sam's Club, an airport, an amusement park, and 3 big malls.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:53 AM

36 posts, read 69,815 times
paulaesquilin,

TY for that response. Good to see someone give a really good answer (unlike Florida Heat). I believe those are the things that ARE important to most people asking about any area. Thank you again.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 PM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulaesquilin View Post
It is a great place to retire,the city is not too big, nor small. Plenty of restaurants, movie houses, schools, and a college. Also big hotels and and motels. A major Interstate runs through it (I-75) which connects with the Florida Turnpike and the Tampa and Orlando airports. Crime is low. There are many retirement communities located from 10 to 20 miles from the city. Among other things, there are two major hospitals, a
Sam's Club, an airport, an amusement park, and 3 big malls.
Ummmmm.....ok.....but the airport has no scheduled service and caters to private small aircraft, and I am aware of only 1 mall, Paddock.

If the OP searches this forum, ( What is it about Ocala thread and others) I think a lot of questions would be answered

Dax

Old 09-20-2015, 07:14 AM

27 posts, read 33,233 times
If Florida Heat has lived here 35 years and hates it, then why doesn't he move somewhere else where he might like it better? We moved from N.J. to Texas to escape harsh winters. When the winters in Texas got to harsh (global warming) we made the move to Marion County. We're only here since July. Waiting to see how the winter is here. Last winter in the Fort Worth area, I was wearing a long sleeve t shirt with a regular t shirt on top and then a sweat shirt or jacket on top of that and don't forget your gloves. At night to let out the dogs you had to wear your hat as well. Too cold for us! Florida was calling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or