Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 PM

41 posts, read 66,604 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any opinion on Meadow Glen. We are thinking of building there with Reed Homes. The subdivision seems really nice. Does anyone else know of some other subdivisions that aren't 55+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
Does anyone have any opinion on Meadow Glen. We are thinking of building there with Reed Homes. The subdivision seems really nice. Does anyone else know of some other subdivisions that aren't 55+.
Meadow Glen has a great location. Only thing I would be leery of is that because it is not built out, the developer is in charge of the HOA. IOW, things aren't set in stone, the HOA hasn't been fully formed and turned over to the residents, and things can change. This isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but ask questions....and beware. Of course, I may be wrong........

Other non-55 subdivisions in the immediate area include Harvest Meadow, off 60th between Crossroads Church and Marion Landing............Bent Tree, off 60th + 80th, across from Marion Landing......Majestic Oaks, off 60th, across from Marion Landing, but beware of previous acrimonious HOA activity, specific location, and possible county assessments for road maintenance and repair......Pigeon Park/Country Meadows....off 200, behind the Dollar General....these subdivisions are on county water and sewer with underground utilities and Brighthouse cable available, and feed into Hammett Bowen and Liberty Middle School.. Directly across from Meadow Glen off 49th is the massive Kingsland Country Estates. Minimum 1/2 acre lots, existing homes, and lots of empty lots for building. Neighborhoods and neighbors are varied, cable is not available, leaving you with satellite options only, wells and septic are the norm, but will eventually be forced to hook up to county, which will be at your expense. Do due diligence for sinkhole activity and flood zones. The flood zones were re done after most homes were built and based on elevation. I found much feigned ignorance of flood insurance requirements. Also, due to the frenzy during the building boom of the mid 2000's when this area was developed, things were overlooked, rushed, and pushed through. I strongly suggest that before finalizing any purchase, have a survey done, check the flood zones map on the county site, and then confirm with FEMA, check for proper permitting and easements, ask for any paperwork for wells and septic, use a reputable title company, and READ the HOA covenants, rules, and regulations. Ask if rentals are allowed. Check to see who owns the roads. Assume NOTHING. You can always go the county clerk's site to read them....they should be recorded.

Good luck!

Dax

Old 08-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Wow!! Thanks for all the info.. That's really awesome if you. I appreciate it. Thank you again!

Old 08-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Wow!! Thanks for all the info.. That's really awesome if you. I appreciate it. Thank you again!
You are welcome! Are you in Ocala now or moving to our area? I am not a realtor, just someone who has been here a while. I did buy here and believe in sharing the knowledge and education I got. Sometimes I come across as being negative, but I do love it here. It's just that realtors are prohibited from answering some questions in the way a non-realtor can and I had to do a lot of research to pull together a more complete picture of how things are done here. I had an excellent agent, but the flood zone issue took even her by surprise. I knew better. I was 2 days from closing on one house when I found the house was actually built into the utility easement. How it ever got permitted by the county is beyond me.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 AM

We do not live in Ocala..yet. My parents moved to ocala 7 years ago and my partner and I are thinking about moving to be close to them. They live in stone creek and we would like to find somewhere on that side of town. We were thinking of building in Meadow Glenn bc it is newer and we could get what we want. Having looked in realtor.com at houses we are very pleased with the house pricing in Ocala. Right now we are trying to make up our minds if we want to make this big move from Nashville to Ocala. We are in our 30's and are pretty settled and established here but have no family in this area.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:51 AM

The hard part with not knowing much about Ocala besides where we have visited is knowing where not to look for a house..we don't want to live in a bad area

Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
I would look at On Top of The World which is next door to Stone Creek, but more convenient to RT 200. I think OTOTW will be building for years so the builder will be more interested in keeping the place looking good than an HOA may. You both would be able to use Master the Possibilities as residence.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would look at On Top of The World which is next door to Stone Creek, but more convenient to RT 200. I think OTOTW will be building for years so the builder will be more interested in keeping the place looking good than an HOA may. You both would be able to use Master the Possibilities as residence.
I do believe the OP stated that they are in their 30's, were interested in a non 55+ community, and that the parents were in Stone Creek. I also believe the Master The Possibilities classes are available to residents and non-residents alike. In addition, access to SR 200 is actually easier and a straight shot down 95th st, and you don't have to contend with dem fools in golf carts.

OP......I would caution you that wages and employment opportunities may be a disappointment to you and your partner if you are intending to seek employment here cold turkey.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I do believe the OP stated that they are in their 30's, were interested in a non 55+ community, and that the parents were in Stone Creek. I also believe the Master The Possibilities classes are available to residents and non-residents alike. In addition, access to SR 200 is actually easier and a straight shot down 95th st, and you don't have to contend with dem fools in golf carts.

OP......I would caution you that wages and employment opportunities may be a disappointment to you and your partner if you are intending to seek employment here cold turkey.

We have heard that before and would plan on having jobs lined up before hand. I'm a hair stylist and my partner is a speech therapist. We have looked into the yearly salary for his job and it is about the same as it is here in Nashville . I also have many years of retail management experience and could go back to that if I had to but wouldn't be my first choice. My aunt also lives in Ocala and has said she has friends who own salons and could possibly help me out.

Last edited by Vallesillob; 08-23-2015 at 06:00 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
We have heard that before and would plan on having jobs lined up before hand. I'm a hair stylist and my partner is a speech therapist. We have looked into the yearly salary for his job and it is about the same as it is here in Nashville . I also have many years of retail management experience and could go back to that if I had to but wouldn't be my first choice. My aunt also lives in Ocala and has said she has friends who own salons and could possibly help me out.

Fair enough. And I COMPLETELY understand about not getting back into retail. 😝

Dax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala