Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:32 AM

36 posts, read 41,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
But for comparatively rare occasions, lack of rain is far more common here than monsoon-like conditions. If rain's in the forecast, you either won't get it or it will last under an hour (or more often, less than half an hour), and afterwards it dries up again within the same time frame. Often times any rainfall that occurs will do so over a very small areas (as-in, it may not be raining at the end of the block if it's raining at your house, but it's raining again a mile or two down the road). It is obscenely humid, however, for at least half of the year in my experience.
Thanks for all your info. We've only gone to FL in the winter for vacations. Now, thinking of moving there full time, we really need to visit in the summer and see if the humidity is okay for us. We may think it's fine after living somewhere for 20 years where a month can go by in the summer without a stitch of rain. Is it still "summer rainy season" there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM

3,327 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
Thanks for all your info. We've only gone to FL in the winter for vacations. Now, thinking of moving there full time, we really need to visit in the summer and see if the humidity is okay for us. We may think it's fine after living somewhere for 20 years where a month can go by in the summer without a stitch of rain. Is it still "summer rainy season" there?
Whether or not rain is in the forecast (and clouds are in the sky), it's humid here a lot of the time. I just wanted to clarify that. Some people do not mind it, many others do (which is why most seem to prefer indoor activities, water activities, and/or home relaxation between 10am and 4-6pm (depending upon the time of year) ). Your personal tolerance level will of course need to be taken into account.

The rainy season (as measured by annual precipitation averages) runs from June through September. Those four months average approximately the same rainfall (6 to 8 inches per-month), and their average rainfall is two or more times the average of the other eight months of the year.

As I said before, even when it rains daily, it rains for such a short period a majority of the time that it wouldn't be worth griping over. There may occasionally be a occasions where it rains more consistently for a period of days, or rains unusually hard, but those occurrences are comparatively far and few between when taken in the context of a year's (or even a month's) time in most instances. The possible exception to that would be abnormal weather patterns or a particularly active tropical weather event year where we're subject to more storms/hurricanes than we have been throughout the past seven years.

Nevertheless, it's wise to select a property that is situated so as to have water running away from it, particularly away from the garage. Because of the geology here, the occasional heavy rain will flood garages that sit below a hill or the road level. Over time, rainwater will cause depressions in yards to become sandpits without proper maintenance as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
We've lived here in the Franklin area for 20 years. I NEVER stay home, haven't worked since being here, and am outside more than inside. It is not that humid here!!! We went to visit family in Cincinnati, Ohio last month. The humidity was terrible. Went to Bowling Green, KY two weeks ago. The humidity was terrible! You have talked about central TN a lot and it's obvious that you just don't like it!!! The last nine days we've had seven days where the humidity was in the 30s. It was sunny, blue skies, breezy and dry! Believe me, Central TN has lower and dryer humidity than most areas. Our weather mostly comes from the SW...
Really? It's pretty humid where I live here in middle TN. We have the usual summer algae and green mold on the house siding, the fence posts, the garage and greenhouse. All of them again need to be pressure washed.

Yesterday and the day before the humidity where I live was in the 60s and 70s. Tonight, at the moment, it's 76. Mildew and mold is everywhere and finished off our garden.

Whether I like a place or not has nothing to do with the humidity.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 PM

36 posts, read 41,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Really? It's pretty humid where I live here in middle TN. We have the usual summer algae and green mold on the house siding, the fence posts, the garage and greenhouse. All of them again need to be pressure washed.

Yesterday and the day before the humidity where I live was in the 60s and 70s. Tonight, at the moment, it's 76. Mildew and mold is everywhere and finished off our garden.

Whether I like a place or not has nothing to do with the humidity.
It has to be flat out raining all day to have humidity in the 60s and 70s here. There are lots of weather lines through central TN. You live east of Mt Juliet...that's not really Central TN...if you're really telling the truth about your moldy weather!!! Drastic weather lines...Nashville, Franklin, Spring Hill, Columbia, etc. Many times it can be pouring and storming in Nashville and be sunny and dry in Spring Hill. We always have 1-2 periods of no rain at all for 3-4 weeks at a time each summer. Many days with 16-25% humidity. In 2000, during the Saturn Homecoming, we went six weeks without a drop of rain. It was dry, low humidity and very dusty!!!

I'm not going to discuss this with you again! I'm tired of you being a know it all and arguing with me. Take this over to the Spring Hill/Franklin Forum!!! Discuss your mold and humidity with them...lol!!! This is about Ocala!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
It has to be flat out raining all day to have humidity in the 60s and 70s here. There are lots of weather lines through central TN. You live east of Mt Juliet...that's not really Central TN...
I don't live EAST of Mt. Juliet.

Quote:
if you're really telling the truth about your moldy weather!!!
And what possible motive would I have to lie about something like the weather?

Quote:
Drastic weather lines...Nashville, Franklin, Spring Hill, Columbia, etc. Many times it can be pouring and storming in Nashville and be sunny and dry in Spring Hill. We always have 1-2 periods of no rain at all for 3-4 weeks at a time each summer. Many days with 16-25% humidity. In 2000, during the Saturn Homecoming, we went six weeks without a drop of rain. It was dry, low humidity and very dusty!!!
Same here, lack of summer rain but still humid. You may need a new hygrometer.

Quote:
I'm not going to discuss this with you again! I'm tired of you being a know it all and arguing with me. Take this over to the Spring Hill/Franklin Forum!!! Discuss your mold and humidity with them...lol!!! This is about Ocala!!!
Then why are you bringing up TN weather? LOL!!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
This has been an unusually rainy summer here. In other summers, its nothing to get a quick afternoon shower that last no longer than 15-20 mins. This year the rains have been heavier and a little longer. I can't even keep up with the mowing. The horses can't keep up with the grass! And no, that is not particularly a big problem.

I wont get into the humidity discussion, because it is humid here. Im not sure its more humid than lots of other places Ive lived in the north. Generally, in the evening, after 6:00 the weather gets really nice and its very enjoyable until dark. There is no weather here that is bad enough for me to move north again. None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala