U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:55 PM

36 posts, read 25,097 times

Advertisements

We live in central TN and it really is the nicest place to live. But the winters are getting rather brutal. We've been here 20 years from the north and the weather (that's changed all over the world) has brought some really cold Arctic Blasts /snow /ice winters. Being retired, we keep tracking Ocala's weather. It looks like it rains everyday and pretty much all day. The humidity isn't a problem for us. Afternoon rains doesn't bother us. But rain most of the day doesn't sound fun. Opinions, please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 01:49 PM

4,964 posts, read 4,356,230 times
It does not rain all day. During the rainy season (July August) it usually rains in the mid afternoon. But it might rain in the morning or early evening. I think most rain will last less than an hour. It can rain a few drops up to an inch. We hope for 3/4 of an inch so we do not have to water the grass.

You might want to try and find a site that shows total rainfall by day.

It is 3:47pm and the rain was starting when I started this and it has stopped. Still cloudy so we could get another shower in a few minutes but within the hours it should be clear. I do not expect that it will rain again today and this was the first rain of the day.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,315,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead545 View Post
We live in central TN and it really is the nicest place to live. But the winters are getting rather brutal. We've been here 20 years from the north and the weather (that's changed all over the world) has brought some really cold Arctic Blasts /snow /ice winters. Being retired, we keep tracking Ocala's weather. It looks like it rains everyday and pretty much all day. The humidity isn't a problem for us. Afternoon rains doesn't bother us. But rain most of the day doesn't sound fun. Opinions, please. Thanks.
NO it doest rain all day and have no idea where you got that info.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
It does not rain all day. During the rainy season (July August) it usually rains in the mid afternoon. But it might rain in the morning or early evening. I think most rain will last less than an hour. It can rain a few drops up to an inch. We hope for 3/4 of an inch so we do not have to water the grass.

You might want to try and find a site that shows total rainfall by day.

It is 3:47pm and the rain was starting when I started this and it has stopped. Still cloudy so we could get another shower in a few minutes but within the hours it should be clear. I do not expect that it will rain again today and this was the first rain of the day.
Oh, thank you! Why does the hourly on WeatherBug, Accuweather and The weather channel show hours and hours of constant rain?! WeatherBug is really bad. We live in such an awesome part of the country. Nashville is the next Atlanta and we live just south in the Franklin/Spring Hill area. But, summers here can not only be sunny and hot, which I love, but have some really super dry spells. My, and my Husband's, skin and sinuses can't take it anymore. I ended up in the ER on Memorial Day from a terrible bloody nose from so many hot sunny dry days. At ENT next morning. He said he's seeing a lot of it, having to cauterize, because of all the fluctuating weather and spells of dry humidity. We NEED humidity in the summer months! So, those that think the humidity is miserable in FL, try the sunny hot dry weather!

We have a 7 Day trip planned, leaving here Tuesday. We are so excited!!! Thanks for your help!

Old 08-22-2015, 03:42 PM

luv my dayton...three apps on my iPhone and they all say that. It's nice to get first hand info from people that really know. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:52 PM

4,964 posts, read 4,356,230 times
Quote:
Oh, thank you! Why does the hourly on WeatherBug, Accuweather and The weather channel show hours and hours of constant rain?! WeatherBug is really bad. We live in such an awesome part of the country. Nashville is the next Atlanta and we live just south in the Franklin/Spring Hill area. But, summers here can not only be sunny and hot, which I love, but have some really super dry spells. My, and my Husband's, skin and sinuses can't take it anymore. I ended up in the ER on Memorial Day from a terrible bloody nose from so many hot sunny dry days. At ENT next morning. He said he's seeing a lot of it, having to cauterize, because of all the fluctuating weather and spells of dry humidity. We NEED humidity in the summer months! So, those that think the humidity is miserable in FL, try the sunny hot dry weather!

We have a 7 Day trip planned, leaving here Tuesday. We are so excited!!! Thanks for your help!
By the way we had a little rain this evening so my prior post was not correct.

I think the problem with the weather bug is they are probably saying 10% or 30% etc chance of rain.

So lets say the forecast list from noon to 5 a 30% chance of rain. Probably there will be no rain and if it does it will be less than an hour. I assume no rain when the forecast is under 50%. Over 50% and I look at the sky if I plan on being out. But the sky can change in a few minutes so mostly I say it will not rain and go out.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
By the way we had a little rain this evening so my prior post was not correct.

I think the problem with the weather bug is they are probably saying 10% or 30% etc chance of rain.

So lets say the forecast list from noon to 5 a 30% chance of rain. Probably there will be no rain and if it does it will be less than an hour. I assume no rain when the forecast is under 50%. Over 50% and I look at the sky if I plan on being out. But the sky can change in a few minutes so mostly I say it will not rain and go out.
Thanks. You've been a lot of help.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM

7,201 posts, read 12,586,650 times
Quote:
....But, summers here can not only be sunny and hot, which I love, but have some really super dry spells. My, and my Husband's, skin and sinuses can't take it anymore. I ended up in the ER on Memorial Day from a terrible bloody nose from so many hot sunny dry days. At ENT next morning. He said he's seeing a lot of it, having to cauterize, because of all the fluctuating weather and spells of dry humidity. ....
I live about 30 miles from you. It's humid outdoors all summer here in middle TN. If you move to FL and live in A/C, you will be bringing the sinuses problem with you. A/C dries out the air. TN is not a dry-air low-humidity state. You may be spending too much time indoors or your A/Conditioner is drying out the air too much.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I live about 30 miles from you. It's humid outdoors all summer here in middle TN. If you move to FL and live in A/C, you will be bringing the sinuses problem with you. A/C dries out the air. TN is not a dry-air low-humidity state. You may be spending too much time indoors or your A/Conditioner is drying out the air too much.
We've lived here in the Franklin area for 20 years. I NEVER stay home, haven't worked since being here, and am outside more than inside. It is not that humid here!!! We went to visit family in Cincinnati, Ohio last month. The humidity was terrible. Went to Bowling Green, KY two weeks ago. The humidity was terrible! You have talked about central TN a lot and it's obvious that you just don't like it!!! The last nine days we've had seven days where the humidity was in the 30s. It was sunny, blue skies, breezy and dry! Believe me, Central TN has lower and dryer humidity than most areas. Our weather mostly comes from the SW...

Last edited by Redhead545; 08-27-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
But for comparatively rare occasions, lack of rain is far more common here than monsoon-like conditions. If rain's in the forecast, you either won't get it or it will last under an hour (or more often, less than half an hour), and afterwards it dries up again within the same time frame. Often times any rainfall that occurs will do so over a very small areas (as-in, it may not be raining at the end of the block if it's raining at your house, but it's raining again a mile or two down the road). It is obscenely humid, however, for at least half of the year in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala