Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 PM

41 posts, read 66,215 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Ocala to be near my parents. We are in are early to mid 30s and will be moving from Nashville. We haven't made our minds up just yet but from what we know of Ocala we like it. It's a lot smaller than Nashville and that is one of the draws. Also the cost of living is lower than Nashville so that's really nice for us as well. We would basically be saving money on our house there and getting more noise for our money. We don't go out to bars or clubs. We are a typical married couple that like to cook and go out to eat. Read . Swim, go to movies And so on. My husband is a speech therapist and I'm a hair stylist. I've always lived in the south( originally from Memphis) and I'm use to a southern way of living so to speak. I guess my question is what is it like to live in Ocala for people that are under 55 years old and not living in the retirement bubble? We do know we will be leaving our network of friends and our church here where we are very involved. I have found one church in Ocala that seems accepting so that's nice. We would appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:24 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,256,025 times
Be sure you have a job lined up. Pay might be lower than you expect.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 PM

There seem to be quite a few jobs available in my husbands field and I have many year experience in my field as well as retail management . We would not move with jobs lined up. Thank you for your advice

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,901,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
There seem to be quite a few jobs available in my husbands field and I have many year experience in my field as well as retail management . We would not move with jobs lined up. Thank you for your advice
You and your husband need to spend a week or two in Ocala and see how you like it. Check out the housing, the shopping, the people themselves. That's the only real way to know if it's for you.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You and your husband need to spend a week or two in Ocala and see how you like it. Check out the housing, the shopping, the people themselves. That's the only real way to know if it's for you.
Thank you. We have been to ocala each summer for the last 4 years. We normally spend a week or more. Sometimes we drive down to Madeira beach also. We like Ocala. We know it has its problems.. Most places do. We really just want to be near family and experience life somewhere else. We know it will be a big change from Nashville

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,164,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallesillob View Post
Thank you. We have been to ocala each summer for the last 4 years. We normally spend a week or more. Sometimes we drive down to Madeira beach also. We like Ocala. We know it has its problems.. Most places do. We really just want to be near family and experience life somewhere else. We know it will be a big change from Nashville
Have ya'll thought about St. Pete? I know you have family in Ocala, but Ocala can be a tad regressive. St. Pete is what I consider close to Ocala, but the downtown area is worlds away. It has a laid back, progressive feel, a great walkability rating, and a phenomenal assortment of restaurants, arts, and music. I adore St Pete.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM

Dax,
We have not looked into St. Pete. How far away from Ocala is it?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 PM

It may be a higher cost of living there being closer to the water. We are looking at other cities just in case but the main reason for moving is to be closer to family and lower cost of living.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM

529 posts, read 1,164,276 times
St. Pete is roughly an hour and a half. About 120 miles.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Dax we will definitely look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala