U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM

230 posts, read 317,061 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the OTOTW floor plans and noticed that some of them have a laundry room with no exterior walls, which begs the question, how is the dryer vented?

Normally, a dryer vent pipe penetrates an exterior wall or goes down into the basement or crawl space before running to an exterior vent. On a slab with no exterior wall in the laundry room, that isn't possible, so how is it done? If it is via a roof vent, how does the owner clean the vent, by climbing up on the roof?

Yes, this is a serious question. I once had a condo with space for a stacked washer and dryer in the middle of the unit with no vent at all. Washing and drying clothes was a steamy affair, to say the least. Worse yet, I usually couldn't open a window, except during our brief summer. It was in Alaska, you see. Ever since then I have been keenly aware of dryer venting issues.

Last edited by FrogCross; 09-25-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 AM

4,993 posts, read 4,391,806 times
I think you will find that all of the current building has the vent going through the roof. This includes the W/D's that are on an outside wall. No idea why they do not go through the outside wall as I think this would be a better choice. I do not know this from observation of actual models being built.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:31 PM

468 posts, read 803,613 times
My single-family home has a laundry room with no exterior wall, a slab foundation, and is CBS construction. It vents either under or thru the slab and ends up coming up from the ground (PVC with a snap on vent grill) approximately 18 inches beyond the exterior wall. I disconnect my dryer and hose and use my blower to clean it. If that doesn't work, I first use a kit made to clean out the vent. It works like a rotor rooter and attaches to my electric drill......yeah, it's a PIA, but it beats a roof vent.....but not by much. Who the hell designs such things?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
My single-family home has a laundry room with no exterior wall, a slab foundation, and is CBS construction. It vents either under or thru the slab and ends up coming up from the ground (PVC with a snap on vent grill) approximately 18 inches beyond the exterior wall. I disconnect my dryer and hose and use my blower to clean it. If that doesn't work, I first use a kit made to clean out the vent. It works like a rotor rooter and attaches to my electric drill......yeah, it's a PIA, but it beats a roof vent.....but not by much. Who the hell designs such things?
Dax, I was stunned when I read your post. I've never heard of an under ground dryer vent pipe and cannot image it is a good thing. A web search found a few examples, mostly because the unfortunate owners were dealing problems, such a water leaking into the pipe.

Do you know if this a common practice with CBS homes in Florida?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:44 AM

4,098 posts, read 6,830,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post

Do you know if this a common practice with CBS homes in Florida?
Below ground dryer vents are not common in Florida. Venting into the attic is common.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Below ground dryer vents are not common in Florida. Venting into the attic is common.
That is prohibited in most locations. Dumping all that moisture into the attic is really bad for the insulation. Do Home Inspectors in Florida let that go?

Old 09-26-2015, 12:56 PM

468 posts, read 803,613 times
Well, Frog.....Florida is a strange place. My home was built in 2006. There are many homes in my subdivision vented similarly. And the builder does many subdivisions throughout Fl. ( Banyon ) this is not a one off. Now attic venting? Beats me. I can't imagine that what you and I are thinking of is actually how it is done. But, then again, I backed out of a house deal because another well-known and respected builder couldn't measure an easement from well marked survey rods. And that one passed inspection too. And I had it done twice to make sure. Welcome to Florida. Because my laundry shares a side wall with the garage, I may eventually vent it there for accessibilty's sake.....

Dax

Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM

51 posts, read 187,414 times
We live in OTOW with an interior laundry room. It vents through the roof.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagala View Post
We live in OTOW with an interior laundry room. It vents through the roof.
Thanks, Ocalagala. How do you clean the vent?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,087,944 times
Our laundry room has no outside walls and vents through the roof too. We use the kit Dax13 mentioned upstream that attaches to a cordless drill. They can be found at Home Depot/Lowes or Amazon. The first year we did it, the amount of lint was astounding that came out, I don't think it had been done by the previous owners. There was a hard, matted lint clump wedged in the roof vent when DH got up on the roof to check the vent. The vent/pipe is 18-20 foot in height on the lower slope of the roof.

We do it yearly now and the lint amount is not even close to that first time, but it's still surprising to see what comes out. There are companies that do this from $59-79 if you are not the DIY type. It's a fire hazard so it needs to be done and the dryer will work more efficiently afterward.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-28-2015 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala