U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 5,209 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, I am new to the site as I just found this place in a search. I am from Gainesville, and have been living around Ocala since 1991.

I don't think we have a lot of traffic here, but it does not flow well at all. Travel down any fairly major road and there are tons of traffic lights. And they all turn red as you approach them, every single one! You will make one once in a while, but if you drive normally most lights will stop you.

The problem is, they are all on sensors. A car comes out of a subdivision or off of a side road and turns right on red in front of you. This triggers the light and stops 40 cars, because of one car that has already made its turn. This happens over and over stopping everyone just as soon as they get up to speed again, wasting fuel and increasing the risk of a rear end collision.

One possible solution would be to put those traffic loops on delayed timers, they will only cycle the light if a car is detected on the sensor for 1 min. solid. Just an example, I am not an engineer. But this would keep a given light green a greater percentage of time. Make a few cars wait longer if they want to turn left, and keep the main roads flowing.

I will do some searching, and see if I can find who is responsible for this. They will get a letter from me, that is more thought out than this quick post.

I pasted the link below, you will have to copy and paste to get to it. Or google "Marion County FL traffic engineering"

http://www.marioncountyfl.org/depart...ounty-engineer

Office of the County Engineer
Tracy Straub, County Engineer
412 SE 25th Ave.
Ocala, FL 34471
Phone: 352-671-8686
Fax: 352-671-8687
Email

Last edited by Jerry In Ocala; 10-09-2015 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 06:49 PM

4,972 posts, read 4,363,845 times
You might want to give the Marion County Engineering department a call and ask for the people that control the traffic lights. I think there are about three or four employees. They can give you the real facts.
I might have the wrong Department name but you should be able to find the group by calling the county.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:02 AM

67 posts, read 211,257 times
Jerry...your point is well taken Last year they installed a light at On Top Of The World, intersection of SW80th Ave. and SW80th Street. Now, if one car leaves OTOW, makes a right-on-red turn, the light will stop all the cars on 80th Ave, a main thoroughfare, for 2 minutes with no cross traffic.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
Jerry...your point is well taken Last year they installed a light at On Top Of The World, intersection of SW80th Ave. and SW80th Street. Now, if one car leaves OTOW, makes a right-on-red turn, the light will stop all the cars on 80th Ave, a main thoroughfare, for 2 minutes with no cross traffic.

I am familiar with that intersection. Pretty much all of Marion County is this way, and has been for a very long time. Lady Lake, the Villages, its all the same. They put zero thought into traffic flow, and the signals all work against one another. I gave them NW 8th ave in Gainesville, FL as a comparison of how traffic can flow in a similar sized nearby city. If you have traveled that road, notice how it flows great all the way across the city. Until you get to the mall and interstate, but that is to be expected. You sail under green lights most of the way.

I sent an email to the County Engineer's office. I asked for a reply and thoughts on what can be done. I will call them up soon if I don't hear from them. If you live here, and feel like I do, let your voice be heard. Just click on the email link at the bottom of my first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or