U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 PM

406 posts, read 395,561 times

Advertisements

I have not been able to find a route from Dunnellon to New Smyrna Beach that isn't circuitous and troublesome in one way or another. So, I can easily go to Ocala and then go from there. I thought someone might be able to tell me if the route on FL 40E from Ocala to where it meets up with I-95 is a good way to go. Is anyone familiar with FL 40E from Ocala going east?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
40 east is pretty much a straight shot to Daytona. Once out of Ocala, it is mostly 2 lanes and opens up with occasional passing lanes to help get around slower traffic. It's a pretty desolate run through the forest and scrub, with many miles between gas stations and fast food restaurants. Likewise, cell phone service can be temperamental. That being said, it is not a bad drive and the only real way to get there from here. I have to add that I prefer not to drive it at night due to the deer and other animals, but I have done it with no problem..

Dax

Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,098,202 times
Just drove it two weekends ago for the first time. When you're stuck behind a slow car, those passing lanes can't come soon enough. Make sure you have a full tank and that your car is in good shape. Bad road to break down on. There's not that many gas stations nor places to eat.

I drove it in the early night-- not too bad--but I certainly wouldn't make it a habit.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:17 PM

406 posts, read 395,561 times
Dax13 and wizrap, thanks so much for your responses. That's exactly the information I needed. It sounds like a much better way to go then what I've tried so far. I'll give it a try next week when I head over that way. Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,191 times
Check out Sparky's for good Italian food in Astor, FL on the way. Not affiliated, just a fan.

Ocala National Forest has been number 1 in bears struck by automobiles in FL recently, I don't know if it still holds the title. The male black bears out there grow to be up to 700lbs. That is enough to total your car and cause injury or death to its occupants. I almost hit a very large one at speed at night, luckily I was able to avoid it, and I was doing 55 mph. I have been all through those woods, you don't normally see them from the road, but the woods are thick with bears. They have no natural predators out there, and we have not hunted them for a very long time. There was a brief hunting season on them recently, but it was cancelled. They have become used to our presence in that is a bad thing.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 PM

4,020 posts, read 6,781,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry In Ocala View Post
There was a brief hunting season on them recently, but it was cancelled.
Not exactly. The hunt was ended after the first day or so because the hunt quota was met far sooner than expected. The bears were here much longer than us.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 AM

11,955 posts, read 11,860,761 times
Yes, that is the way most volusia county residents make it over to alachua county/UF. It ends right into Ormond Beach. It is an annoying 2-lane rd to drive on with only intermittent passing lanes available

Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
It's the easiest and most direct route. I'd recommend only driving it during daylight hours and keeping your wits about you, however. Between the terrible drivers, overzealous LEOs, and potential wildlife encounters, it can be annoying or outright dangerous.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM

4,020 posts, read 6,781,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
It's the easiest and most direct route. I'd recommend only driving it during daylight hours and keeping your wits about you, however. Between the terrible drivers, overzealous LEOs, and potential wildlife encounters, it can be annoying or outright dangerous.
Good advice and I definitely agree.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Not exactly. The hunt was ended after the first day or so because the hunt quota was met far sooner than expected. The bears were here much longer than us.
Just supports what I was saying, the woods are really full of bears. Not enough woods, too many bears. I am not surprised that the hunters found and killed them easily. They are everywhere, eating people's garbage. Not enough resources in the woods, so they enter sub divisions. We stop building, or kill more wildlife, one or the other.

Count on this when on 40 E. The slow car who is holding everyone up will speed up when the passing zone begins. Only 1 or 2 cars will get around them. A return to the exact speed limit will follow at the end of the passing zone. It's go slow, or ludicrous speed out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or