Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,202 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are a Bi Racial couple mid 30s moving to Ocela from Iowa, and I am curious if the town/ people are friendly and not racist.

It's always a concern when you have a child. Any info would be appreciated

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Ocala is much nicer than Ocela.

In all seriousness, folks are friendly but there will always be an element of racism that will exist an almost any city in the nation. Do you already have a job lined up yet ?? Best wishes to you.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,202 times
Thank you so much for the feedback!
You are absolutely right, it's everywhere. I appreciate your response.

My husband works overseas- I am a stay @ home Mom for now but hope to get back into the work force when she starts school. I was in the Military and then worked as a contractor so I hope to find something.

I read the unemployment rate is high there!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:03 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
Unfortunately, the employment rate is high. One of the best job fields is in medicine right now. You can purchase nice homes under $100K. You should contact a local realtor in Ocala to look for homes for sale or rent once you have made a final commitment to move here.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:07 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
I do not know the answer but I think it would change by neighborhood. You might want to give more details on what you are looking for.
Apt in the rental range of or a home in the range of.
child - grade school or high school
You might want to call the principal of the West Port High School. Very competent lady and she might be able to help.

West Port High School
School in Ocala, Florida
West Port High School is a school in Ocala, Florida and one of eight public schools in Marion County, Florida. Founded in 2000 and constructed at 3733 SW 80th Avenue, West Port is the district school for West Ocala.

District: Marion County School District
Phone: (352) 291-4000 not West Port
Founded: 2000
Number of students: 2,420
Lowest grade: Ninth grade

Ocala is the town but the area around is also considered Ocala. Look at Marion County - about the size of VT - and use Google Earth and the street view to look around. I would start with the SW section of the town serviced by West Port.
West Port is probably 8 miles outside of Ocala. I think I would start looking with the areas outside of town.
I would also try the County Government web site and look for a Social Service department and call the head of the department. The County employees seem very good and helpfull.

Look up the US census and the County Voting records (Marion County Supervisor of Elections > Home) for info on race and income by area.

I think Ocala is about 60,000 pop and the county is about 340,000.Lots of open land.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2015, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,940 times
Very nice to live here and there are quite a few biracial couples that live here. There is a lot to do here but the pay is lower in Marion County than in a lot of other places. So might want to check on that also. All in all it is pretty calm here. I have four children and have lived here all my life. I on the other hand am ready to leave and try something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: