Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,479 times

Advertisements

We are presently working with an agent from the OTOW sales office to purchase a lot in the Windsor community. He mentioned that the HOA fees generally only increase about $10/year. For those of you who have been homeowners here for a while, about how much of an increase do you generally see each year in your fees? About what can we expect our water bill to run considering we need to irrigate our lawn?

Also, is the HOA resident-owned and and managed or is there a non-resident party or parties involved in the managing of the HOA business? Is there a CDD or impact fee assessed?

One last question...if you had it to do all over again, would you still purchase you house in OTOW?

I greatly appreciate any advise current homeowners may have for us. We have put some money down on a lot, but have not signed any paperwork to actually purchase the home yet. We are planning to do that sometime after the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 09:17 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,237,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmtnlover View Post
We are presently working with an agent from the OTOW sales office to purchase a lot in the Windsor community. He mentioned that the HOA fees generally only increase about $10/year. For those of you who have been homeowners here for a while, about how much of an increase do you generally see each year in your fees? About what can we expect our water bill to run considering we need to irrigate our lawn?

Also, is the HOA resident-owned and and managed or is there a non-resident party or parties involved in the managing of the HOA business? Is there a CDD or impact fee assessed?

One last question...if you had it to do all over again, would you still purchase you house in OTOW?

I greatly appreciate any advise current homeowners may have for us. We have put some money down on a lot, but have not signed any paperwork to actually purchase the home yet. We are planning to do that sometime after the holidays.
If I recall correctly you can not purchase a lot in Windsor. You lease the land. You can purchase the lot in other parts of OTOTW.

What you want to do is ask for the annual budget that is sent to each resident each year. Then you will see the annual increase and how the builders subsidy changes. I think (do not have actual knowledge) you will find the increases small but the big question is, is their a builders subsidy and when will it end. My assumption is that most builders help with the expenses as the community is being built out.

It bothers me that you are asking about the management of the HOA as your sales person should have addressed these. Ask your agent for the written document s you would sign at closing. They will explain the rules. OTOTW will be in the build out phase for years and I think the builder will control everything. Not the local community. I view this as a positive as he is interest in keeping up the community.

Water??? depends on lot size and how much attention you pay but it could be $100 a month. Ask how many zones you will have. My guess is four or five. If five you will spend more on water.

Remember you HOA fee includes a lot of maintenance that is not included if you purchase your lot.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Thank you for your reply. I understand we will be building our home on a leased lot. The agent did advise us that annual HOA fee increases generally run around $10/year. I was just looking for verification from someone that actually lives in OTOW and actually pays HOA dues what they have experienced in the way of increases. He also stated water will generally run around $100/month, just as you have said.

I had planned to ask for copies of HOA covenants/restrictions as well as any lease agreement (for the lot) to see that we are protected from increases and/or termination of that agreement. Thank you for the suggestion to obtain copies of the annual budget to check for builder's subsidies. Our sales rep is out of town until after Christmas, so I am making a list of all the things I need to review before we come back down to choose building options and sign the final papers.

My husband is all set to go with this, but I need a little more info before I'm comfortable with everything. We have visited twice and love what we see so far. HOA rules do not bother me...I know they are there for a reason. I just don't want any surprises with regard to fees going up in unreasonable amounts. I understand the need for HOA dues to go up just like everything else we need in life....just want to make sure the increases are reasonable.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I understand we will be building our home on a leased lot. The agent did advise us that annual HOA fee increases generally run around $10/year. I was just looking for verification from someone that actually lives in OTOW and actually pays HOA dues what they have experienced in the way of increases. He also stated water will generally run around $100/month, just as you have said.

I had planned to ask for copies of HOA covenants/restrictions as well as any lease agreement (for the lot) to see that we are protected from increases and/or termination of that agreement. Thank you for the suggestion to obtain copies of the annual budget to check for builder's subsidies. Our sales rep is out of town until after Christmas, so I am making a list of all the things I need to review before we come back down to choose building options and sign the final papers.

My husband is all set to go with this, but I need a little more info before I'm comfortable with everything. We have visited twice and love what we see so far. HOA rules do not bother me...I know they are there for a reason. I just don't want any surprises with regard to fees going up in unreasonable amounts. I understand the need for HOA dues to go up just like everything else we need in life....just want to make sure the increases are reasonable.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some advice.
I do not think you will find unreasonable increases year to year.
The location (inside of OTOTW) of the community is very convenient.
Be sure to bring some luminaries with you for next Christmas. If you do not know what I am talking about ask your salesman. It is a nice community tradition in the East section. Hopefully it will be picked up in the West section.

I think you will find all the documents on line so you might just ask any salesman for the links.
This will help you get started OTOW Central | On Top of the World Info

You might find that your current home sells quickly so ask about renting options while your home is being built. Might as well cover all the contingencies. This is a more common problem than you might think.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Thank you so much for the info and the links. I'll check those out tomorrow. I did do some digging around this afternoon and found where the covenants were filed, I think in 2004. There were so many documents filed related OTOW with the county clerk that my head started spinning. I think I found out what I was curious about but I'll ask the sales rep for the most current one. Did not see anything in the documents I did find that turned me off. I think I am a little more comfortable with the land lease deal, also. Hopefully, we'll be moving forward with this purchase in the next week or so. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:22 PM

67 posts, read 236,956 times
I looked at OTOW/Windsor. The HOA was $316 a month, but they do not have curbside garbage collection. Deal Breaker for me.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
I looked at OTOW/Windsor. The HOA was $316 a month, but they do not have curbside garbage collection. Deal Breaker for me.
Then look at Candler as they do have curbside garbage2 times a week and recycling 1 time a week. Also mail delivery and pick up. Lower HOA fee but you have to cut the grass.

Last edited by rjm1cc; 12-21-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 AM

8 posts, read 12,474 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the info and the links. I'll check those out tomorrow. I did do some digging around this afternoon and found where the covenants were filed, I think in 2004. There were so many documents filed related OTOW with the county clerk that my head started spinning. I think I found out what I was curious about but I'll ask the sales rep for the most current one. Did not see anything in the documents I did find that turned me off. I think I am a little more comfortable with the land lease deal, also. Hopefully, we'll be moving forward with this purchase in the next week or so. Thanks again for your help.

Good Luck. keep us abreast of your progress.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 AM

19 posts, read 44,883 times
We just purchased in Oak Run, maintained lot, curb side trash pick up. So far we like it. I wasn't crazy about OTOTW as they seem to always increase in HOA

Old 12-24-2015, 02:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,232,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
If I recall correctly you can not purchase a lot in Windsor. You lease the land. You can purchase the lot in other parts of OTOTW.

What you want to do is ask for the annual budget that is sent to each resident each year. Then you will see the annual increase and how the builders subsidy changes. I think (do not have actual knowledge) you will find the increases small but the big question is, is their a builders subsidy and when will it end. My assumption is that most builders help with the expenses as the community is being built out.

It bothers me that you are asking about the management of the HOA as your sales person should have addressed these. Ask your agent for the written document s you would sign at closing. They will explain the rules. OTOTW will be in the build out phase for years and I think the builder will control everything. Not the local community. I view this as a positive as he is interest in keeping up the community.

Water??? depends on lot size and how much attention you pay but it could be $100 a month. Ask how many zones you will have. My guess is four or five. If five you will spend more on water.

Remember you HOA fee includes a lot of maintenance that is not included if you purchase your lot.
The only time I have seen HOA's go up a lot is when the developer leaves.He will have lower costs while building and will subsidize many. Then it can be a small or large amount, so check each cost and what is likely to be done in the future that is not currently paid for. Maybe Landscaping maintenance as it may not be completed in the common areas until build out and now a company has to be hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala