U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 AM

174 posts, read 276,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Ouch! Hopefully, it will be managed in a win/win situation for all, but let's face it, if your septic system isn't working, you're literally in a world of s!&7.

My community was built with MCU sewer with Windstream water supply. MCU bought Windstream, so it was a relatively painless, cost free transition, but the infrastructure was already there. ( and it's still an over chlorinated mess) I'm not sure how the breakdown of costs work here or if/when you have to hook up to sewer.

Dax
Interesting......... Before I bought my home this month I told the realtor (foxfire) that I heard rumors there would be sewer lines going-in and I was concerned about the potential costs. He assured me that it is highly unlikely and that he has been a realtor here for many, many years and so he would know. I took his word for it. That was my mistake for being too trusting. My realtor disappeared as soon as he received his check at settlement. He won't respond to my emails now. Sewer lines can really help real estate values, but they can also be really expensive in addition to the monthly sewer bills.

To answer a previous post, I've only been here a couple of weeks and have dealt with some challenges of moving-in (not to mention palmetto bugs or as I like too call them: friggin roaches), but so far, so good. My neighbors are friendly and helpful folks. So far, everyone here has been really friendly and the community seems to be a great place to love. One of the reasons I wanted to live here is, because it seemed that in addition to snowbirds, the people are are generally of moderate means. Doesn't seem to be too many hotsy-totsy; I have more money then you and I'm better than you type of people. Just nice down to earth kind of folks. That is why I stayed away from Oak Run.

Time will tell a lot more. I thought that I was buying a move-in ready home, but I am re-painting the entire house. It has a lot of upgrades, but it just wasn't cleaned much in the previous 7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 AM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
There doesn't seem to be a chlorine problem where we are, and believe me, I would know because I'm very sensitive to it. Where we used to live, we could always tell if the county had found bacteria in the water during their tests, because the chlorine levels would go up and down according to what they found and you could smell it when you turned on the taps. However, eventually, they went to a different system of chemicals that eliminated the chlorine and its odors.
My water, I believe, still comes from the leased Windstream well behind Jasmine Plaza and has not been integrated into the MCU infrastructure. It is still a closed circuit. I also "seem to recall" that the Windstream well is a shallower well, with an aging tower, pump, etc. Regardless, at the beginning of the month, it is heavily chlorinated and you definitely know it's there. It never completely goes away.

Definitely NOT the fresh spring water that I know can be had from a well, but at least it doesn't leave those rust stains that you see in the Belleview area.

Dax

Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,591,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDog2 View Post
Interesting......... Before I bought my home this month I told the realtor (foxfire) that I heard rumors there would be sewer lines going-in and I was concerned about the potential costs. He assured me that it is highly unlikely and that he has been a realtor here for many, many years and so he would know. I took his word for it. That was my mistake for being too trusting. My realtor disappeared as soon as he received his check at settlement. He won't respond to my emails now. Sewer lines can really help real estate values, but they can also be really expensive in addition to the monthly sewer bills.

To answer a previous post, I've only been here a couple of weeks and have dealt with some challenges of moving-in (not to mention palmetto bugs or as I like too call them: friggin roaches), but so far, so good. My neighbors are friendly and helpful folks. So far, everyone here has been really friendly and the community seems to be a great place to love. One of the reasons I wanted to live here is, because it seemed that in addition to snowbirds, the people are are generally of moderate means. Doesn't seem to be too many hotsy-totsy; I have more money then you and I'm better than you type of people. Just nice down to earth kind of folks. That is why I stayed away from Oak Run.

Time will tell a lot more. I thought that I was buying a move-in ready home, but I am re-painting the entire house. It has a lot of upgrades, but it just wasn't cleaned much in the previous 7 years.
There definitely seems to be a pecking order among the retirement communities along 200. I have found most of the Oak Run folks I've met to be very nice, but a couple of the other communities, not so much. Folks from Palm Cay, Pine Run and Marion Landing all seem to be salt of the earth, though. At least in my interactions with them. The people I've met from Spruce Creek North, as I've said, seem to pretty much keep to themselves, but not in a snobby way.

For roaches, I find those roach tablets to be VERY effective. Instead of just throwing the tablets around like some folks do, I get the little jewelry or ring boxes and put a tablet or two in them and place them strategically. You can find those little boxes at the thrift store run by Divine Providence Ministries just north of the Palm Cay entrance. I was just there the other day and saw the sign up for the new storage units on the lot next door.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 AM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDog2 View Post

Sorry to hear of your less than optimal experiences, Dave, but I'm sure you'll muddle thru. As Kmarc will attest to, I have always said to "trust but verify" , but you just can't foresee everything and at some point, you gotta pull the trigger and jump in. You'll figure it out.

I always subscribed to the "cleanliness is next to Godliness" theory, myself. I also know that as folks get older, some things can't be helped and health problems can change priorities. I don't do bugs either. I actually have my yard sprayed quarterly, fence line to fence line, spot-spray garage and door thresholds with Home Defense spray as needed, and use Raid Maxx fumigators if I leave for an extended time..That has worked for me without baits or additional indoor treatment. I do have a termite bond, and my home is CBS. When I removed all mulch around the house, I laid down a s$$7-ton of a permethrin based granulated pest control before putting rock down. I also constantly check for wasp nests around eaves. Sounds like a lot of work, but once I eliminated as much as I could, it's just a minor maintenance thing anymore.

I do agree about the pecking order. Oak Run does seem to be more insular and there seems to even be a caste system within the various "neighborhoods "..JMHO. Other community's resident state their particular community's name as just another fact, whereas OR residents wear it as a badge of honor. A wannabe Villages. Funny, but as big and structured as OTOW is, they actually invite non-residents to their shows, classes, markets, etc. Only PIA with some residents are the golf carts, but I suspect they are just as obnoxious with full blown cars.

Hey! Good Sunday morning, all!
Dax

Last edited by Dax13; 03-24-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the info! I certainly didn't mean to disparage anyone in Oak Run. Just that when you have homes valued at 2 or 3 time some of the others in the same community, some of those folks driving BMW's tend to look down their noses at folks like me driving an old Ford. I am sure there are lots of nice folks driving BMW's, but some "not so much".
As far as my roaches, I threw everything at them but the kitchen sink. Baits spray, boric acid, etc. Haven't seen one of those buggers in the past few days and only a couple dead ones a couple days prior that. So I think that I am getting somewhere. What with all the poison, my goal is to out-live those stinkin buggers. You are correct about muddling through. I just turned 70 and that makes it a little more challenging.

Frankly, based upon my experience with my neighbors and some of other folks I've met here at Palm Cay, I look forward to the day I sell my home in Ohio and move-in permanently.

On the matter of the water here, the problem is that it needs treatment. It comes from a deep well and all they do is add a disinfectant. When I worked on my washing machine I found a lot of sludge in the cracks and crevasses at the bottom. While I am a proponent of softening and filtration, I am not a proponent of raising the cost. So I am just happy that it is safe to drink.

I have much to learn about living here and look forward to it. Thanks for all the input.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM

4,965 posts, read 4,356,230 times
The county is trying to eliminate septic tanks where it can to help protect the drinking water. The closer the homes are to each other the more likely you will get sewer lines. I assume the county will assess each home owner for the cost. As mentioned call the county and find out what their long term plans are.

If costs are important check each utility and their rate. Don't assume all the developments have the same vendors.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Yeah, I will follow-up on that. The EPA is pushing this issue everywhere. They are doing so back in Ohio also.

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or