U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 AM

174 posts, read 276,880 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for an inexpensive home in a 55+ gated community around Ocala. We are moving from a community in Ohio along Lake Erie with very harsh winters. Our plan is to be snowbirds for a year or two and then move into it full-time. Since we don't want to spend more than $100K and we want a fenced backyard for our dogs, our choices are very limited. Palm Cay looks like a pretty nice community of small frame homes built between 1988 and 1991. Unfortunately, it is very difficult if not impossible to find a stucco CB home in our price range nowadays. There are a few like in Cherrywood, but it isn't gated. I wish I would have bought four years ago, but I didn't. Oak Run is another option, but I like the feel of a smaller and more modest community like Palm Cay. Both seem to have very low HOA fees.

So we would really appreciate any info or feedback on Palm Cay and/or other similarly priced communities in the area.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 33,039 times
I think you can find what you want in Oak Run and be better off. Some of the homes have fenced back yards, but not all. We moved here in December and have met a lot of people with dogs that have been here for a long time.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Default Oak Run/Palm Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReikoLoli View Post
I think you can find what you want in Oak Run and be better off. Some of the homes have fenced back yards, but not all. We moved here in December and have met a lot of people with dogs that have been here for a long time.
Thank you for the reply. I almost bought a home a couple years ago in Oak Run. I backed out of the deal. I wish now that I hadn't, but we were just not ready to move at that time. I have looked at the homes on the market in Oak run and there really aren't any with fences right now. Couldn't find any with private or semi-private yards. I had seen some nice ones from time to time, but just not now. I am headed down at the end of the week to look.

So why do you say I'd be better off in Oak Run? I really liked Oak Run, but right now I am seeing more reasonably priced homes in Palm Cay with better yards. Thing is, I don't know anything about Palm Cay except that the dues are low and home prices are very reasonable. I know it isn't as big as Oak Run and doesn't have as many amenities, but is there something else I need to know?

Thanks so much!

David

Old 02-28-2016, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 33,039 times
I just think that the amenities far outweigh the difference in the homes. We looked at many and decided that concrete block was the best for us. There are really no private yards so to speak, but there are many homes on the market that back up to a treed area that are almost the same as private. My neighbor puts her dog out on a cable from time to time. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the explanation! I agree that concrete block is better. Oak Run doesn't have any of those under $100K now unless it is a villa. As you know, a villa doesn't have a yard. I agree that there really aren't any private yards. A yard that backs up to the woods is good. I don't want to put my dogs on a cable, but I appreciate the info!

Thanks again!

David

Old 02-29-2016, 09:44 PM

429 posts, read 512,333 times
If you're looking for amenities, Palm Cay doesn't have much, just one small pool and a community center. Oak Run has several pools, including one heated pool, and access to golf.

Pine Run is in the same area, also 55+, and has 2 pools, 2 clubhouses, tennis, and shuffleboard. Same frame houses, all under $70K at the moment. Fence is cheap. I own 2 homes in Pine Run. Current amenity fee (not an HOA!!) is $91.80 a month and includes basic cable and trash pickup along with access to all the amenities.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
If you're looking for amenities, Palm Cay doesn't have much, just one small pool and a community center. Oak Run has several pools, including one heated pool, and access to golf.

Pine Run is in the same area, also 55+, and has 2 pools, 2 clubhouses, tennis, and shuffleboard. Same frame houses, all under $70K at the moment. Fence is cheap. I own 2 homes in Pine Run. Current amenity fee (not an HOA!!) is $91.80 a month and includes basic cable and trash pickup along with access to all the amenities.
Thanks so much for the info! Actually, we are not looking for amenities. Just a nice home in a gated nice neighborhood. We might go to the clubhouse or play shuffleboard once in a while, but that is about it. We have two dogs, so we need to have a fenced yard. We also want good neighbors, but unfortunately, we won't get to choose them.
Thanks for all the helpful info!

Sincerely,

David

Old 03-29-2016, 06:56 AM

63 posts, read 211,563 times
Hi David I live in Palm cay and parents live in oak run. Oak run definitely has more amenities but naturally you pay more for them. We love Palm cay, extremely quiet and safe! We bought our house last March and before moving in had a fence installed for our 2 dogs. Think it was around $1500. and they did a great job. Everyone is extremely friendly, people walking and riding bikes always wave. We chose palm cay over oak run because since the houses are smaller the lots are bigger and room for the dogs is important to us. Also less traffic so safer walking then oak run.don't hesitate to ask me any other questions.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM

63 posts, read 211,563 times
Also the front gate staff is very cautious. You can't get in here without a reason unlike oak run where you can say you are going to the golf course or clubhouse and they let you in. If you have company visiting in Palm cay and you don't let the gate know you get a call to verify.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 AM

Thanks so much for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for! We must think exactly the same way you do. Our dogs are like our kids. I really like the look of the community. My only concern was when I looked at homes there, many had a very musty smell. I was a little concerned about mold in many of them. The utilities were shut-off, so that may be the reason. I really liked the yards there. My only other concern is getting a neighbor that might complain about the dogs. We won't allow our dogs to stay outside and bark for prolonged periods, but they will bark at other dogs. If they bark a little too much, we always bring them in. It is impossible to choose your neighbors, but we have great ones here in Ohio. So we are spoiled and it makes us a little afraid to move.
I really appreciate the info!
Thanks so much!!

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or