Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2006, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,240 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! This is such a great site! I'm hoping someone can help me. I live in New Jersey ("former" Long Islander) and I am seriously considering a permanent move to Ocala with my family. They are already there with family.

I'm currently looking for a 4 BR 2 Bath home to buy in the area for my family (Hopefully less than $185,000). I'm not clear which areas are the "better" ones to buy in considering the various subdivisions (such as Silver Springs Shores, Marion etc.) I'm a bit concerned about the schools considering some of the comments I've read here. (so I'm definitely thinking about going private)

I'm also a bit confused about property values in the area. I understand they have risen over the last year or so, but friends that have recently moved to the area also tell me there's a growing inventory of homes (3 BR 2 Bath) and a lot of the homes are overpriced. As a result, I'm not really sure what is and isn't "reasonable" for the area.

I read another posting on Ocala regarding arts, culture, recreation, schools, jobs etc., that was very helpful. So I won't raise those questions again. One last thing...I was told Tmobile cell phone service is not even an option in the area...what service is available?

Any suggestions on how to start sorting through all of this. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
HJ

Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 PM

32 posts, read 160,244 times
why not rent for now until you know the area better. i think it's nice up there . i feel the prices will come down as intrest ratesrise maybe wait a bit. debbie

Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 28,068 times
A 4 bdrm 2 bth for $185.000??? HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa....ohhhhhh, THATS funny!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
You're not going to get anything primo or new for under $200K.

(Here I am laughing out loud that i'm actually using the words "primo" in the same breath as "Ocala". I really wish everyone who presently lives there could see what that town was not even 10 years ago)

The MLS presently has about 20 places that are 4/2 for under $175,000.
About 1/4 of them are mobiles, 1/4 of them are junk either by virtue of area or structure, and 1/2 of them would probably be worth a look. Subtract one bedroom from the search criteria (3/2 instead of 4/2) and now you're talking 200+ listings under $175K as opposed to 20.

If you were moving to, say, St. Augustine with $185K, i'd laugh just like Ray.
In Ocala, you can probably find something decent in that range if you're a bit patient. Also take a look at Palm Coast.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,240 times
Default Thanks...

I've been working with a few really good brokers who have actually shown me some pretty good deals... I am seriously considering renting for a while now that the market seems to be shifting a bit...I have seen a few good deals around $185,000.

Ray, I've been looking in Orlando too and I definitely think you are correct about what you can get for the money there...but Ocala seems to be a bit different. Either way, thanks for the feedback!

HJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala