U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 AM

14 posts, read 22,010 times

Advertisements

I have applied to a decent job at the Ocala airport, while I haven't been offered the position yet, I'm researching the city. It seems to be far more layed back from the coastal communities and decent cost of living. This job requires me to live in Marion County. Living in Ocala would seem to be the obvious choice, but I'm more of a rural person. I would be moving with my wife and 9 month old daughter. We are in our mid 20s but not into parties or nightlife and such. I'm coming from St. Louis where crime is a big deal, so nearly anywhere I go in theory should be safer. If anyone has any suggestions or comments from their experiences, that would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 06:17 AM

4,049 posts, read 6,796,857 times
Don't forget that Ocala currently has no commercial airline traffic, only charter flights at our airport. We do have a multi-story traffic control tower. Good luck.

Are you applying for a construction job here in Ocala? They are currently rebuilding the current terminal building.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:38 PM

4,974 posts, read 4,366,794 times
Sounds good to me.
A street map of the Ocala area can be confusing. You might think you are in the city and you are not. The term unincorporated means locations outside of a city. I would look in unincorporated areas.
Plenty of rural area. I would look along rt 200 and west of 200. (this is south of Ocala) Close to airport.
Pay some attention to the schools.
Crime should not be a problem
Check the Sheriff's site and you can find crime stats. Also Facebook for the Sheriff.
Pay attention to public water and sewer if that is important. Rural areas probably will not have this.
There are several electric co's and the rates vary if that matters.
Might want to describe the type of housing you would like. Apt, single home on acre lot, etc. Also budget. This might get you some better replies.
If you move into an under 55 community be sure to check finances, foreclosures etc. Some communities are not as good as others so be sure to investigate. Look at the crime stats for the community.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:27 AM

7,201 posts, read 12,598,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrunner88 View Post
.....If anyone has any suggestions or comments from their experiences, that would be much appreciated.
We just bought property a few miles outside of Ocala, in Silver Springs. Some of Ocala itself is country-like. Semi-rural as we found when looking for a place to live. Ocala is a very nice little city. It appears a good place to raise children. Unless you're into 5th Ave shopping you will find plenty of stores there to fill your needs.

Because of our age (early 70s) we aren't into nightlife anymore either.

As for crime, it's difficult to avoid these days but make sure you check the crime stats before buying or renting.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 42,655 times
What type of rural are you talking about? 5-acre plot per house rural, agriculture rural, horse barn rural, or just generally away from the buzz of the city rural?

It's hard to tell you where to go in Marion county. Things are very mixed up and you can find decent places everywhere just about.

In the Southwest, Dunnellon, you'll find mostly retired folks. They're very nice, but if you're young, you probably want more people in your generation. North of Dunnellon, the west end of the county, you'll find mostly low-to-mid-income, simple-living people. It's nice and quiet out there, and the people are very nice. There are two big subdivisions in that area: Rainbow Lakes Estates, and Lake Tropicana. The former consists of a mix of people, the latter is mostly "rednecks" living in trailers. By trailers, I mean (usually) well taken care of homes on large plots in the middle of a pine forest. Much more nature, and I love it there.

West of Ocala, there's a subdivision called Rolling Hills. If you're looking for a nice, quiet area, with lots of room, a pond, and people who are a tad bit wealthier, this might be a good area. The homes are nice, there's no crime (that I know of), and the people are very friendly.

In the central portion of the county, outside of Ocala, you're pretty much going to be in horse country. South-south west of the city, you have very nice barns. North of it, you have not-so-ritzy horse barns.

I don't know too much about east of Ocala, the Silver Springs and Ocala National Forest area. Silver Springs seems nice. And when I was a substitute teacher, I subbed at East Marion Elementary school, in the Forest area; I've never subbed a class with kids so well behaved and respectful. It was easy to tell that their parents were very responsible people.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:34 PM

429 posts, read 512,863 times
I live in Meadow Wood Farms, which is about halfway between Dunnellon and Ocala off State Road 40 and State Road 328. I know of a home in an estate sale that has about 2 acres and could be a bargain. Meadow Wood Farms is about 9 miles from the airport. MWF is an equestrian community, but you don't have to have a horse to live here. It's quiet and peaceful. The association fee is $55 a year, but participation is not required. Houses in here have anywhere from 1 to 10 acres, but mostly in the 2-5 acre range.

Good luck on your move. Ocala is a wonderful place with lots of parks and things to do. You're welcome to PM me if you'd like more information. I don't own the home that's for sale, BTW, but it's been available quite a while and I'm sure the heirs are ready to let it go. It needs a kitchen upgrade, but it's very livable as is. 3 BR 2 bath, fenced yard.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 32,144 times
You have lots of rural area to choose from in Ocala FL and some of the best horse country in Ocala is the NW side of Ocala close to the airport. I would rent before I buy so you have time to check out the area that suits you and your family best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or