U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 06:25 PM

28 posts, read 23,098 times

Advertisements

Im budgeting for our move to the area, and im wondering if anyone would like to share their own average electic and other utility bills (internet, dish/cable, trash, etc). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 PM

4,964 posts, read 4,356,230 times
It depends on usage. House, size, apt., family size etc.
Take your current usage and look up the utility rates.
Note several electric co's.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Utilities in Ocala FL

Considering a move to Ocala, FL and I am also wondering about utility bills in Ocala. I've read there are several utility companies there, and I'm wondering which is the most reasonable and dependable as far as billing services, etc. We will be looking at a new home in Glen Meadow which is about 1800 sq feet in the next week.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM

464 posts, read 796,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretty View Post
Considering a move to Ocala, FL and I am also wondering about utility bills in Ocala. I've read there are several utility companies there, and I'm wondering which is the most reasonable and dependable as far as billing services, etc. We will be looking at a new home in Glen Meadow which is about 1800 sq feet in the next week.
I believe you are asking about Meadow Glen....SECO electric, county water and sewer..Not sure if BRIGHTHOUSE cable ran lines when it was first plotted years ago..they should be...no natural gas. Other than satellite providers, and maybe garbage pick-up, you have no choice in utilities. Also know that a sprinkler system is mandatory and your lawn WILL be green or else..if you are having a home built, pay CLOSE attention to where the ditches, easements, and utility boxes are. Also pay attention to how the driveway is laid out..they are the damnedest things I have ever seen. Drive through and REALLY look. You will see what I mean. HOA is still developer-controlled..

Check the thread " Meadow Glen" for more.

Dax

Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM

4,290 posts, read 3,608,916 times
Do NOT move anywhere that Ocala Electric services. They are very expensive. Im outside of the city limits and have Duke Energy. Newish house, well insulated, highest bills are July/August at around $125. Lowest are during the winter, as low as $50.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
Cable selections in the area (excluding satellite): Brighthouse, Century Link, Comcast, Cox. Selection will largely be determined by where one lives within the greater Ocala area, though Century Link seems to be pretty much everywhere. Brighthouse is typically considered to be the best option, particularly from a customer service perspective. Cox and Comcast are both renowned for speed throttling, Comcast is known for fraud, and Century Link offers slow speed coupled with frequent service outages.

Power selections are essentially Duke, Ocala Electric, and SECO. Avoid Ocala Electric (found within city limits) like the plague, as your bill can be anywhere from 50% to 200% higher than with the other two. Duke is typically regarded as the cheapest among the three.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:25 PM

242 posts, read 302,182 times
We purchased a 1200 sq. ft. condo in Silver Springs Shores in February to use for snowbirding. We've spent quite a bit of time in residence to do some renovations. If I adjust the bills to account for our absences the averages are:

Marion County Utilities/Water - $100 per month

Duke/Progress Energy - about $125 per month in the summer

I don't currently have any true winter usage to work with as we didn't start to occupy our unit until March and the weather was fairly warm (at least for us New Yorkers!)

Old 08-20-2016, 09:14 AM

19 posts, read 33,039 times
We live in Oak run and have SECO for electric, highest bill we have had has been 113, water is reasonable. Oak Run pays for the irrigation and mows the lawn and they have their own cable although there are a few homes with dish/direct on the roofs. I also use the internet service that Oak Run has.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 12,902 times
Stay away from any area under Ocala Utilities. We moved out of Ocala city limits because of them. We were gone for 3 weeks of our billing cycle for the month of December, and recv'd our highest bill of the year that month. When I called them, her answer was, "Oh yeah...we've been getting a lot of calls about that." And the amount stayed, almost $300 for a month that was in the 70's! Your choice in internet/cable is almost as bad. We had to go with Cox Cable, we were paying for the maximum speed package for internet. We could only watch streaming movies during non business hours and the weekends. As soon as the local businesses near by opened for the day, they took precedent and we had equivalent to AOL dial up until after 5 pm.

We now live under Duke and Brighthouse. We have a 1900sf house and our highest Duke bill was Aug and it was $160, we have internet only via Brighhouse, we pay $57 and there is at least 4 devices running using wifi constantly, with no issues.

Last edited by krisnfla; 10-29-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 06:44 AM

242 posts, read 302,182 times
Comcast cable is included in our condo fees. So far, they are alright. I'm not a big television watcher. I needed to have reliable internet service and opted for Comcast to keep everything on one bill. They allow us to suspend the service if we are going to be out of town for at least 3 months. The bill drops down to $5 per month during this time. I'm a pretty heavy internet user and rely on it to be able to work. Just about everything that I watch is streamed and I'm usually working with 2 phones and 2 laptops on the wifi at the same time. The only issue that I had with Comcast internet involved a faulty cable running into my condo. A Comcast service person came out and replaced it and it now works perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or