Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:49 AM

597 posts, read 1,442,667 times

Advertisements

My inlaws are thinking of moving to Florida and are considering the Villages. I have been looking for properties for them and I am confused about the fees. Can someone explain to me the fees/expenses of homes in the Villages?

I see HOA fees, CDD fees, Bond Fees, Amenity Fees on the listings.

I saw a brochure from the Villages and it broke down the fees but never mentioned HOA, or Bond fees. If there really are all those fees, then that place could be really pricey.

If there is a realtor out there who would like to give me the breakdown on say a 200K house....what would it cost for all the monthly fees? Also, what utilities do they pay and what are averages of the utility costs?

We have to support my inlaws now so we will be paying the bills so we want to have a good idea of what we are getting into.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM

166 posts, read 789,864 times
Go to the Talk of the Villages web site. All the information you need is there as far as costs. Except for the taxes and bond costs. The villages also have a web site with the average monthly costs on it.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM

166 posts, read 789,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2go View Post
Go to the Talk of the Villages web site. All the information you need is there as far as costs. Except for the taxes and bond costs. The villages also have a web site with the average monthly costs on it.
I think the talk of the villages web site would be the best place to inquire since the home owners post there so you will get the good, bad, and the ugly.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
My inlaws are thinking of moving to Florida and are considering the Villages. I have been looking for properties for them and I am confused about the fees. Can someone explain to me the fees/expenses of homes in the Villages?

We have to support my inlaws now so we will be paying the bills so we want to have a good idea of what we are getting into.

Thanks!
Wow...

Personally, I would be pricing a divorce.
Unless, of course, their life expectancy coincided with my retirement plans, your spouse is an only child, and I wanted a place in the Villages..............

Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM

32 posts, read 178,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post

I saw a brochure from the Villages and it broke down the fees but never mentioned HOA, or Bond fees. If there really are all those fees, then that place could be really pricey.

If there is a realtor out there who would like to give me the breakdown on say a 200K house....what would it cost for all the monthly fees? Also, what utilities do they pay and what are averages of the utility costs?

Thanks!
If you're looking at The Villages document on their website that estimates the cost of living for a $250K home, the $192/month "Development District Assessment" is what is also known as the bond. On a new construction purchase it could be less or more depending upon what type of home you buy and the density of homes in a certain area. It has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the home. This bond is to pay for your neighborhood infrastructure which is normally just included in the cost of a home.

There are no HOA fees, there are two separate organizations (one pro residents and one pro developer) which you can join but it's only $10 per year or something like that.

The $145 per month ammenity fee covers the executive golf courses, pools (except for those at country clubs) rec centers. there is a fee to golf at the championship golf courses and there is also a trail fee for your golf cart.

For the last full 12 months we lived there (Oct 2011 to Sept 2012) our avg electric bill was $128 on a 1700 sq ft home. Our water, sewer and trash averaged about $205 for the same time period. We tried to be careful in conserving water.

Taxes on our home which was purchased new in 2008 were about $1600 per year. That is with the homestead exemption.

Hope this info helps. Lived there for over five years so would be glad to answer other questions you may have.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam In Florida View Post
If you're looking at The Villages document on their website that estimates the cost of living for a $250K home, the $192/month "Development District Assessment" is what is also known as the bond. On a new construction purchase it could be less or more depending upon what type of home you buy and the density of homes in a certain area. It has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the home. This bond is to pay for your neighborhood infrastructure which is normally just included in the cost of a home.

There are no HOA fees, there are two separate organizations (one pro residents and one pro developer) which you can join but it's only $10 per year or something like that.

The $145 per month ammenity fee covers the executive golf courses, pools (except for those at country clubs) rec centers. there is a fee to golf at the championship golf courses and there is also a trail fee for your golf cart.

For the last full 12 months we lived there (Oct 2011 to Sept 2012) our avg electric bill was $128 on a 1700 sq ft home. Our water, sewer and trash averaged about $205 for the same time period. We tried to be careful in conserving water.

Taxes on our home which was purchased new in 2008 were about $1600 per year. That is with the homestead exemption.

Hope this info helps. Lived there for over five years so would be glad to answer other questions you may have.
Why did you leave?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Wow...

Personally, I would be pricing a divorce.
Unless, of course, their life expectancy coincided with my retirement plans, your spouse is an only child, and I wanted a place in the Villages..............
No, No and NO!!! LOL

Old 08-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2go View Post
Thanks! I spent quite a bit of time looking around the site. It's a great site. Thanks for the tip

Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam In Florida View Post

Thanks for all this info. This helps a lot. I was not familiar with the bond fee. We have HOA's and CDD but no bonds.

Your utility bills are high like mine are. We get monster water bills too and we are really, really careful about water.

Anyway, I see Harry Who asked you why did you leave....I was wondering the same thing.

Thanks for your answers

Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM

Sam In Florida, I have a few more questions.....it seems really disorganized as far as the roads go. Is it hard to get around? My mother in law can get lost in her driveway, so she might have problems.

Also, are you allowed to have 2 cars in the driveway there? They have so much nonsense in their garage. I don't think they would be able to fit 2 cars and a golf cart in their garage along with their treasures.

Thanks again. I am happy to be getting these answers from you. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala