Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 22,817 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone,
I just found this site and I am so happy I did because my family and I are getting ready to move from Ft Myers, FL to Ocala in a few months. My in laws live already near there in Crystal River and of course we have been there and really enjoyed it out there.
Now that we have decided to move, I am in search of very good Middle school and High School. Not just good but great!!! if there is one... my daughter is going into middle school and ONE of the things that will be hard to move from here is the school she would have been going to, so I am in the market for a great school. She is into sports.. soccer and what not and they need to offer soccer ... that is important.
I know I wont miss the high cost of homes here that is for sure. I am from San Antonio Texas and moving here to ft myers was a shock not only to me the smallness of this town but high cost of homes, Texas you can still buy a home that is 2,000 to 3,000 square feet with land and pay under 200,000.00 here forget it you might buy a home for 250,000.00 and get maybe 1300 square feet .,.. they call that the " large" 3 bedroom 2 bath here. YIKES !!!
So any kind of input on where in Ocala to live ie.. North,South, East or West would be greatly apprecitated.My husband wants some land but I dont want to be to far into the sticks either so HELP !!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM

57 posts, read 296,938 times
Default Want afforable then don't move to Ocala

Hello hairazor,

I don't know your income but afforable living in Ocala is very scarce in 07. Even sub-standard apartment complexes will run you about $770 a month for a one bedroom. Believe me the cost of a typical house or even apartment rent does little for the value. Your children will absolutely hate Ocala but you might enjoy if you like looking at old people or tipping cows for fun. Ocala is both boring and expensive.

The best areas to live in Ocala are the following:N.H Jones,Parkside Gardens,Happiness Homes, and anywhere along Silver Springs Boulevard[make sure you look for the Big Apple store]. All these areas are safe,affordable,and within walking distance from what little excitement Ocala has to offer.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
You might want to check out the Inverness area. I live here. There's still some reasonable pricing for homes around here and it's only 15 minutes to Crystal River. There is some farm land out here too just outside of town. I travel to Ocala now and then for the mall and that's only a 30 minute drive.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,593 times
I read this post almost laughed because we move back to Marion county from Austin Texas in 2001 after living there for three years. We loved Austin and really do not like Ocala at all. I only go there when I absalutely must. I would go back to Austin in a heartbeat when hubby finally gets approved for his disability income but the property taxes for the size home we are hoping for are around 3-4 thousand a year and I do not think we will be able to afford that even if I worked which I am hoping not to for a while. ( I have a severely autistic child and my husband is physically disabled so I will be their primary caregiver)

Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM

I don't know your income but afforable living in Ocala is very scarce in 07. Even sub-standard apartment complexes will run you about $770 a month for a one bedroom. Believe me the cost of a typical house or even apartment rent does little for the value. Your children will absolutely hate Ocala but you might enjoy if you like looking at old people or tipping cows for fun. Ocala is both boring and expensive.
I like you already ! Total agreement here!

Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Default After 9 years of Marion County I can say....

Thanks,Florida Mom. I wish you were just a little younger so we could possibly hang out. Really hard to find kids my age or fun things around Ocala. If you want to have a friendly coversation about how bad Slowcala is then you can send me a personal message or maybe not. The feelings about Ocala is mutal and I dislike every dreaded moment of living here. I know eventually I will make it to greener pastures,hoepfully.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM

My husband has been known to call it "Slocalla" too. We want to move to either Oklahoma or Texas when he gets his disability settlement. We want to make sure that we have that additional income before we make any moves.

Seriously I am in the Dunnellon area and go to Crystal River several times a week. That may be a small town but at least they are not so concerned about where the next golf course is gonna be like Dunnellon is. Most of the chain restaurants that are on 200 in Ocala can be found in either Crystal River or Inverness and the traffic to get there is nowhere near as bad.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Good Luck to you and your family,Floridamom. Be careful mentioning places because eventually somebody from upnorth or south florida will pollute an area with traffic,crime and bring negative elements.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 12,731 times
Default Needs Help

Hello Everyone Me And My Family Are In Need On Info About Ocala, Fl We R Currently In Detroit, Mi And Will Soon Be Moving There To Ocala ,fl We Need Info On Is Ocala A Nice Place To Live And Work. We Also Need To Know Where To Look For House Rentals Because Due To Our Dogs And Coming From A Big House And Is Truely Not Ready To Buy A House Yet Due To Our Credit. I Will Be Back To Check Posting 4 Help Thank U

Old 07-15-2007, 10:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOI313BAD View Post
Hello Everyone Me And My Family Are In Need On Info About Ocala, Fl We R Currently In Detroit, Mi And Will Soon Be Moving There To Ocala ,fl We Need Info On Is Ocala A Nice Place To Live And Work. We Also Need To Know Where To Look For House Rentals Because Due To Our Dogs And Coming From A Big House And Is Truely Not Ready To Buy A House Yet Due To Our Credit. I Will Be Back To Check Posting 4 Help Thank U
My advise is do not move until you have an apartment leased, 90% of landlords now check your credit, if you cannot buy a house you are more then likely not get a decent apartment. There are some who will not run your credit, but do not move your family until you got a place to live locked in for at least 1 year. Get your credit in line by paying everything on time every time so you can buy something in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala