U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

Hi every one and thank you for reply
I am going to move to Ocala next month from New Jersey to start new job , I was looking online for apartment for rent and I found Carlton arms apartments (5001 sw 20st)my question is this a good safe place to move in .any one live there and can share experience will be appreciated .
Thank you again for reply
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,522,513 times
Try the city and county (Marion) web sites. Should be able to find crime stats.
The area looks ok but I do not have any first hand knowledge.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
Thank you for reply
Please any input or suggestion about apartments complex in safe area in Ocala appreciate it

Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,976,961 times
For crime stats in Ocala/Marion County, also try FDLE (Florida Departmnent of Law Enforcement) internet site.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:44 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,744,131 times
If youre on Facebook, join Ocala Florida Police Scanner. Will give you a really good idea of where to stay away from.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM

136 posts, read 311,227 times
I've known a couple friends that lived there and it's very nice. I haven't heard about any crime there, though I'm sure it happens from time to time. I would live there with my wife and 2 daughters, if that helps.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 10,404 times
If you have children don't move to Ocala. It ranked the worst place in the U.S. to raise children.

"Florida’s at the bottom. Out of the 10 worst places to raise children, seven of them are located in Florida. Ocala comes in dead last in both the 2015 and 2016 editions of our study."

I have lived in 4 different states and maybe 10 different cities. I wouldn't live in Ocala.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ildren-in-2016

Last edited by yoly; 08-13-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,976,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoly View Post
If you have children don't move to Ocala. It ranked the worst place in the U.S. to raise children.

"Florida’s at the bottom. Out of the 10 worst places to raise children, seven of them are located in Florida. Ocala comes in dead last in both the 2015 and 2016 editions of our study."

I have lived in 4 different states and maybe 10 different cities. I wouldn't live in Ocala.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ildren-in-2016
Strange thing is that the article has a mere mention of Ocala being the worst, yet no reason or statistics stating why it got that rating. As someone who lives there and has known many folks who have raised kids here, I find that article's conculusion completely unfounded and absolutely rediculous. I am not claiming Ocala is the best place by any but certainly not the worst by any stretch.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,522,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Strange thing is that the article has a mere mention of Ocala being the worst, yet no reason or statistics stating why it got that rating. As someone who lives there and has known many folks who have raised kids here, I find that article's conculusion completely unfounded and absolutely rediculous. I am not claiming Ocala is the best place by any but certainly not the worst by any stretch.
The state has ranking of all schools in the state. Try School Accountability Report .. You are in Marion County. The area around Ocala is considered Ocala but it is actually Marion County. Probably half the address that say Ocala are out of the city.

I do not think you are going to find the schools to be the worst. I think they are C and B's. But I would pay a lot of attention to finding a good one.

Google search Florida school ratings and you should get lots of info.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,404 times
Bad things can happen anywhere but this just happened in Ocala, Marion County, Florida
Boy, 10, Charged With Manslaughter in Young Cousin's Death - ABC News

Bill O'Reilly taught in Ocala and called it a "crack capital". Wow! Cyberbaiting: Students pushing teachers to meltdown? | Fox News

There is a maximum security prison in Marion County. I worked at the Juvenile detention center and it's a mess there. It's too easy for kids to end up in juvenile detention centers in Marion County. Zero tolerance and discrimination and all that... I saw blatant racism in the middle school where I worked. A search of the metaphor "school to prison pipeline" may give you an idea what life can be for some school kids in Marion County. That metaphor has been criticized as it is not so much a "pipeline" but a "a system or web".

So, I wouldn't live there and I wouldn't work. I have too much integrity to work in that "system or web", but it's perfectly fine for a lot of people, many who have never lived or known anything else.

Last edited by yoly; 09-08-2016 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or