U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,116 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming down soon to buy a house in the area . Wondering how you guys chose between citrus hills and pine ridge ? Are there significant price differences / amenities between the two area ? Also wonder about your insurance coverages ? Do you have to commute far ?

Thanks in advance
Future neighbors

Mike..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 24,318 times
Citrus Hills is more for the active lifestyle. Some properties give you the option to join the social membership which gives access to the Tiki bar, restaurants, spa/fitness, tennis courts, etc... Pine Ridge lots all have a minimum of 1 acre. There is a community center with tennis courts, equestrian stables, picnic tables and a playground. Both have beautiful homes. The inventory is low causing the price to go up in both communities. Both places are only a short drive to the grocery store, Walmart or Loews/Home depot. There are multiple 24 hour gas stations around the county. I have standard insurance on my property and spend about $750/year. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 AM

103 posts, read 181,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDyson View Post
Where about in CT. I have visited family over the past couple years in Ct but Florida is now my home and it feels good every time I get back.
I lived in Darien, Greenwich and mostly Stamford. All in Fairfield County.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 AM

103 posts, read 181,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwalsh1 View Post
I moved here from Queens, NY earlier this year. I too was looking at Citrus Hills and Pine Ridge. You should know that you might be required to join the country club if you buy in to Citrus Hills. I think I remember it was 2k to join and then 1k per year thereafter. Pretty inexpensive compared to other places, but if you're not going to use it then why bother?

Pine Ridge was the final choice for me. Traded a 750 sq ft coop apartment for a 2100 sq ft house on an acre with a pool--with a few $ left over. Clean and green. Quiet and peaceful. Things are way slower down here than up north, you'll notice it. Although I love swimming in my pool with a rabbit watching me, it does get a little too slow. So those visits up north to visit friends and relatives is something I look forward to.
Things are definitely slower, which I like! My kids, on the other hand, miss the city. We try and go to CT to visit once or twice a year. So they get their city fix. But I have to say, as I'm floating in my pool and listening to the quiet I sure don't miss the sound of the cars on 95 or yelling neighbors that live too close.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,655 times
Anyone have info on Meadowcrest area in Crystal River?
I'm semi retired in real estate from Arkansas. Would Meadowcrest be a good area for a senior to consider?
Any idea of r/e market?
Thanks

Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 PM

Meadowcrest is a great community. It is close to the water but still far enough away. There is HOA fees and deed restrictions. A couple different types of homes make up the community. There is attached and detached villas along with single family houses. They have tennis courts and 2 community swimming pools. The grocery store and Walmart are only a short drive. Price range is between $100-200k. The real estate market is moving up in this area. I would say right now it is a sellers market. Especially with all the snowbirds in the area. Hope this helps. :-)

Old 06-26-2020, 11:08 AM

3,212 posts, read 4,323,005 times
Hello, sorry to resurrect and older thread, but I am in RI and planning a move the Hernando some time in the next few years. I don't know if the neighborhood has a name, but the main road in to the neighborhood is N. Annapolis Ave, off of East Norvell Bryant Hwy. I know there's a Publix right down the road (great supermarket BTW) and plenty of shopping and a Dunkin Donuts not far in the other direction. It seems to have a nice, quiet rural feel to it, but with everything you need within easy driving distance.

I've spend several weeks there over the last few years, and absolutely love the area. Can anyone more familiar with the area provide any feedback as to quality of life in the area? Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:39 PM

4,078 posts, read 6,817,572 times
I am afraid that I do not know the name of the community, but I do know it is near the town of Beverly Hills, FL.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 AM

The subdivision you are referring to is Citrus Hills. It is close to amenities and is an active retirement community but not solely 55+.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 AM

3,212 posts, read 4,323,005 times
Thank you for the responses. Yes, I believe Citrus Hills is correct. I have family that lives there and am strongly considering relocating there upon retirement in a few years. They own a home in in that neighborhood I was describing, and a condo a little ways off near a Country Club and golf course that they use for occasional family visits and sometimes rent out seasonally.

We are both tired of the stressful, hectic and political divisive New England lifestyle, not to mention to cold, dreary winters, and the ever increasing crime rates, and high cost of living. My wife is an RN, so we think she'd be able to find employment fairly easily down there if she chooses to work a little longer. I've spend several weeks down there over the last few years, and it seems like a nice, clean laid back area with the perfect mix of rural and suburban areas all around. My relatives down there have been urging us to consider the area for retirement, and we both really like it and feel (based only on a few weeks exposure to it) like it would be the perfect place to retire to. In fact, it seems a little to good to be true, which is why I was asking for feedback from folks in the area. So, a few questions:

1. It seems like a nice, clean, low crime place to live. Am I missing anything?

2. Are there reasonable employment prospects for a part time/full time registered nurse? She's ok with working at a facility or doing home health care, and we know the pay will be less than here in RI, and are ok with that.

3. How are the property taxes and utility rates there? Water, cable, electric, etc? I'm sure they're lower or at least competitive with RI rates.

4. I believe Citrus County does not have the local sales tax that some FL counties do, is that correct?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or