U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 AM

170 posts, read 704,366 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start the thread out stating I'd prefer no negative post about Ocala or the surrounding areas. This site has more than enough negative post about this city that I'd prefer to get something positive for a change.

That said, we are a young professional African American family of 4. Im 38, wife is 32, daughter is 2 and baby boy is an infant. We currently live in a crime free suburb outside of Richmond VA thats pretty diverse. My wife is a stay at home mom that goes to the YMCA regularly. story time at the local library, and any kid friendly activities she can find outdoors during the week.

I'll be commuting to Gainesville for work and prefer to live in the more country, cheaper, more bang for your buck city outside of Gainesville. We have a church and a church school that we will be attending and sending our kids to within a 10 mile radius of Ocala. (And YES our life revolves around our church...thats how we like it and prefer it)

Here is what we are looking for:
Family friendly neighborhoods to purchase a home with little to no crime within the Ocala area.
We are even willing to explore neighboring cities.
If you could help us out with those zip codes and perhaps even the names of some housing communities that we should look into.

******NO NEGATIVE POST PLEASE*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 165,793 times
First, welcome to the area! I've only been here four months myself, but I'm also searching for my next perma-home. Unfortunately, if you're looking for totally crime-free, most anywhere, you'll need to look at gated communities, and those typically won't be cheap.

My advice would be rent somewhere for at least six month, and take the time to poke around various areas. Also, your church members should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,098,202 times
I have a client that lives in Meadow Glen, just southwest of the city limits--I believe it is a gated community.

The commute to Gainesville will not be short. Too bad you're not looking here. Newberry and Alachua have that country charm and lower home prices.

Good luck and welcome to the area!

Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 PM

4,013 posts, read 6,781,951 times
I can suggest another community in the SW area, Cala Hills.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:55 PM

After looking at neighborhood scout, is it safe to say that the south east and south west sides of ocala would have the better crime free neighborhoods and decent school districts with younger families? Looks like its about 16-19% people between ages of 30-45 that live in those areas. Should I start my search there in your opinions? Im just looking for a side of town where you just cant go wrong.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:58 PM

4,964 posts, read 4,356,230 times
Try the South West along rt 200. Pay attention to utility rates as they vary alot.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Can you guys check over what I found on neighborhood scout? Wanting to know how accurate this is when it comes to low crime areas.

Southwest Side
Route 200 / Route 484 (16.8% between ages 30-44)

Route 200 / SW 100th St 15% between ages 30-44)
West / North West
Mount Olive 15.4% between ages 30-44)
South East Side
SE 44th Ter / Chestnut Rd (19.1% between ages 30-44)
SE 64th Avenue Rd / Pine Rd (17.6% between ages 30-44)
SANTOS (13.7% between ages 30-44)

Also, anyone give me cities close to ocala that are better than living in Ocala. That would be great. Id like to research that as well.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Can you guys check over what I found on neighborhood scout? Wanting to know how accurate this is when it comes to low crime areas.

Southwest Side
Route 200 / Route 484 (16.8% between ages 30-44)

Route 200 / SW 100th St 15% between ages 30-44)
West / North West
Mount Olive 15.4% between ages 30-44)
South East Side
SE 44th Ter / Chestnut Rd (19.1% between ages 30-44)
SE 64th Avenue Rd / Pine Rd (17.6% between ages 30-44)
SANTOS (13.7% between ages 30-44)

Also, anyone give me cities close to ocala that are better than living in Ocala. That would be great. Id like to research that as well.
Of the list you provided, the two areas that stick out as being less accurate in terms of safety ratings (as they're currently listed on neighborhoodscout) are:
  • Route 200/ Route 484
    • By far the safer of Marion Oaks sections, though still some issues with burglary (particularly towards the end of the year) and property crime.
  • SE 64th Ave Rd/ Pine Rd
    • The more you go south of 464 and west towards Baseline Rd (aka: SE 58th Ave/CR-35), the safer you'll be (and the more like the SE 44th Ter/ Chestnut Rd section of Silver Springs Shores it becomes. The further east of Pine Rd you go on the south side of 464, the less safe the area becomes.
A note on the SE 44th Ter/ Chestnut Rd area:
  • Your preference here will be along or south of Chestnut, or along SE 41st Ct.
A note on the Route 200/ SW 100th St area:
  • Many of these homes are going to be in 55+ age-restricted communities. There are some exceptions of course, though they're significantly more expensive than the area average.
The towns surrounding the Ocala area are semi-rural to rural. Of these, there are a couple of patches within Dunnellon (to the west of Ocala) and Belleview (to the southeast) which you may find to your liking. I don't have enough knowledge of, or firsthand experience with, the towns bordering Ocala to the north to comment on with confidence.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Anything decent in Marion Oaks by any chance? I've heard of some not so positive things but would love to hear where the better parts are from anyone that knows. Thanks

Old 11-28-2016, 05:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,218,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Anything decent in Marion Oaks by any chance? I've heard of some not so positive things but would love to hear where the better parts are from anyone that knows. Thanks
Off the top of my head, something along the following lines is probably the safest:
  • If on the north side of 484: West of Marion Oaks Pass.
  • If on the south side of 484: West of Marion Oaks Pass and west of where Marion Oaks Manor meets Marion Oaks Blvd, but east of SW 85th Ave.
  • Also: This smaller section also tends to be fairly quiet where 484 turns north (within the red border) and will provide you with the quickest access to local shopping, medical care, and is literally 5 minutes away from Ross Prairie's trail head (if you're into hiking and/or mountain biking):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or