U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 14,205 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I recently bought a house in Silver Springs Shores north of Maricamp Rd, just off Pine Rd (near 35).

I am not from this area.

I love the house, the lot and the layout of the neighborhood.

I have been looking at crime maps and see that there is a lot of crime in Ocala mostly near the mall. There is also a lot of crime in certain areas of Silver Springs Shores namely the east end and also south of Maricamp Rd.

The worst thing is that it is serious crime, car theft, breaking into houses (sometimes w a gun) and hardcore drugs.

My question is, for locals, do you think Silver Springs Shores is getting better or worse?
Do you think crime will go down or is going down?
Are police getting rid of these druggies and burglars?
Are there new businesses moving into the area?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 12:00 PM

270 posts, read 148,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lululalaz View Post
Hi guys,

So I recently bought a house in Silver Springs Shores north of Maricamp Rd, just off Pine Rd (near 35).

I am not from this area.

I love the house, the lot and the layout of the neighborhood.

I have been looking at crime maps and see that there is a lot of crime in Ocala mostly near the mall. There is also a lot of crime in certain areas of Silver Springs Shores namely the east end and also south of Maricamp Rd.

The worst thing is that it is serious crime, car theft, breaking into houses (sometimes w a gun) and hardcore drugs.

My question is, for locals, do you think Silver Springs Shores is getting better or worse?
Do you think crime will go down or is going down?
Are police getting rid of these druggies and burglars?
Are there new businesses moving into the area?

TIA
There is a Police Scanner group on FB which has most of the crimes as the scanner picks them up. That's not a great area as crime has been heavy there for some years. I was warned about moving there by several people when we mentioned we were to look at some homes for sale there. After doing some research we decided we wouldn't want a house there if it were half the price. Ocala simply hasn't the manpower to stop the crime. The judges here are under a lot of pressure because our prisons are popping their seams with thugs. I suppose for you it's too late to change your mind about moving there.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:19 PM

Thank you, I appreciate your input

Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM

135 posts, read 306,729 times
I know this thread is old now but just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I would say that crime in Ocala is going to get worse, as has been the trend for at least 15 years. I will say tho that the area your house is in, while there is crime, probably won't be that bad for you. What I mean is that no area in Ocala is straight up hood like bigger cities have. That's not to say that you won't have your car broken into or something, but I wouldn't worry about dodging bullets or anything.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:39 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,222,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
I know this thread is old now but just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I would say that crime in Ocala is going to get worse, as has been the trend for at least 15 years. I will say tho that the area your house is in, while there is crime, probably won't be that bad for you. What I mean is that no area in Ocala is straight up hood like bigger cities have. That's not to say that you won't have your car broken into or something, but I wouldn't worry about dodging bullets or anything.
This is a fair statement over all.

But yes, OP, as a rule of thumb the further east you venture into The Shores the more suburban hood-rats and transient miscreants you're likely to encounter. Additionally, with the exception of certain pockets and gated communities around the county, much of Ocala and the surrounding areas could be considered something of a semi-contiguous suburban ghetto.

Marion County in general is comparatively poor; replete with atrocious or cult-like schools and a corrupt, good old boy styled government that works actively to maintain a less-than-desirable status quo for residents that are not retired transplants or otherwise wealthy. We have the highest normalized rate of incarceration of all 67 Florida counties and also the second-highest normalized DUI fatality rate (by county) in the entire United States. I personally don't see much in the way of appeal here save for low property taxes and nearly perpetual sunshine.

I would also expect things to worsen into the future as most of the build-up is forecast not to be of the family sustaining and oriented variety, but rather planned retirement-focused communities, multi-unit rentals (many of which will be voucher funded), and largely menial employment opportunities (retail, food service, and general labor). So in short, decreased socioeconomic mobility and opportunity, the increased crime that goes along with such, and all with the "bonus" of increasingly dire prospects for roadway travel throughout the county due to infrastructure not keeping up with the influx of new folks using the roads.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the additional comments! Very insightful!

It makes me sad to see such a neighborhood with such great possibilities go downhill. It has decent proximity to Orlando and Tampa, equal distance from both coasts, great strong block houses cheap to buy, large yards, low property taxes, no state taxes, great weather, decent shopping options and fairly close to the highway. And I believe a lot of good, decent people live there.

I think with more jobs and less crime it could be a wonderful place for families and retirees.

Anyone else who would like to comment please do so. I will continue to monitor this thread.

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,222,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lululalaz View Post
It makes me sad to see such a neighborhood with such great possibilities go downhill. It has decent proximity to Orlando and Tampa, equal distance from both coasts, great strong block houses cheap to buy, large yards, low property taxes, no state taxes, great weather, decent shopping options and fairly close to the highway. And I believe a lot of good, decent people live there.

I think with more jobs and less crime it could be a wonderful place for families and retirees.

Anyone else who would like to comment please do so. I will continue to monitor this thread.
Yes, you're probably correct. Better jobs and education coupled with less crime would benefit the area. The downside of course would be that the local CoL would increase. The area as a whole is reasonable for people with a certain set of expectations or who are at a certain stage in their life where the benefits that do exist within the area align with their needs.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 PM

611 posts, read 1,297,269 times
Hi guys!
I'm a recent college grad (Nurse) with a small family. I am relo back to Florida to take a job in Leesburg, however the rent in Lake County (I grew up there) has skyrocketed. I've been looking at this little house in Silver Springs Shores at om Dogwood Circle. Is the area really that bad. I mea, one, I'm from Lake County, so my expectations aren't that high & two when I google earth the area it looks pretty boring.
What do you guys think? Weve been cooped up in an apartment and really don't want another one!

Old 06-03-2017, 10:11 AM

4,978 posts, read 4,369,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Hi guys!
I'm a recent college grad (Nurse) with a small family. I am relo back to Florida to take a job in Leesburg, however the rent in Lake County (I grew up there) has skyrocketed. I've been looking at this little house in Silver Springs Shores at om Dogwood Circle. Is the area really that bad. I mea, one, I'm from Lake County, so my expectations aren't that high & two when I google earth the area it looks pretty boring.
What do you guys think? Weve been cooped up in an apartment and really don't want another one!
Might want to start a new thread as this is an old one.
I do not know your area but the sheriff's department has crime maps and is also on facebook. Try these sites to get an idea as to how safe the area is.

Also try the state web site to check the grades of the schools in your area.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 PM

270 posts, read 148,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Hi guys!
I recently read that the number of sex offenders is unusually high there and you mention a "small family." I assume you have children. I would look elsewhere to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or