U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 22,268 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon!! My fiancé and I may finally be in a position to move this summer!!! I am a cna and he is a dietary aide, also 20 years experience with a moving company. We were originally thinking Tennessee (will be able to keep my pay since my boss has already checked for me) But here in Jersey the winter has not been kind to my 2 year olds asthma. Summer he does fine in the heat and humidity. We are looking to get away from winter. we work in the same facility and would be able to transfer our jobs.

It would be locatednear the south Ocala elementary school. I would hope that's a safe area to work? As far as budget, I doubt I'll be keeping my pay of 12.67$. I see some job postings for 10$. Most do not put the hourly rate. Is that the norm? . Are there any decent areas without breaking the bank? I see that Gainesville is about 40 minutes and I'd be willing to do the commute for a short time while I can find a job with better commute.

I've read some posts that Ocala isn't a good choice for family and I've read some that people love it. . We just want to be able to move where we already have a job. Once we're there we can decide whether or not we like the area and look for jobs indefferent places. Most post I see are people with higher budgets than me. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 AM

145 posts, read 166,391 times
I'd advise renting here somewhere close to a paying job, then deciding on a final home once you've been able to get some ground intel. Places that look okay on Google maps can be quite different when you're actually driving down the street.

Gainesville is about 40 minutes if you're on the north end of Ocala and close to 75 or 301. If you're on the SE or SW part of town, it's a good hour.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,104,806 times
Gainesville is also a big medical hub. The university has a med school & affiliated with that is a huge teaching hospital (UF Health) which continues to grow. Another hospital in Gainesville is North Florida Regional Medical Center.

I don't know what's available now, nor the pay scale, as I only volunteer there but it might be worth checking out.

The SW and NW sections of Gainesville get high marks as being generally safer with higher rated schools.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,225,479 times
You and your fiancé would likely do much better if you were both able to find full-time work in Gainesville and live within or on the outskirts of the area. The schools not located in the lower income areas there are good to great. G-ville has much better access in general to quality education, medical care, shopping, food, etc., as compared with Ocala.

Ocala is essentially Deliverance with delusions of being Stepford, and that's about as simply and politely as I can put it.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 22,268 times
Thank you all so much for the replies!! I'll keep researching! We are leaning more towards the Gainesville area. Ocala would be where our job is if we transfer but I think will look around more and see if maybe we can get the employment elsewhere before we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or