Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 PM

170 posts, read 771,637 times

Advertisements

New to Ocala and live on SW side of town near close to Fore Ranch. Was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an affordable subdivision with acreage that allows horses and or chickens and goats. We want at least 1-2 acres at minimum (no more than 3 acres max) and for affordability scale we are kinda looking at no more than 200k for a home (perhaps max 230k).

We loved the layout of the subdivision Meadow Wood Farms. Can anyone give any suggestions on any other subdivisions that will allow chickens and even a horse (dont have them now but will want them in the far future eventually).

We see there are cheap places in Dunnellon but we dont like that city. There were other cheap pockets we noticed by Ocala airport but we dont want neighbors that have junky yards and automobile graveyards (if you know what I mean). We also would like paved roads (we arent too found of the neighborhoods we bumped into with dirt roads). Would be willing to live in a 15 or so mile radius around Ocala.

Hope someone could help with at least a start for wear we should be looking. We are in the beginning process so any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 12:06 PM

150 posts, read 231,007 times
The only *subdivision* that comes to mind that might work for you is Countryside Farms off of 200, on the south side of the road. The whole point of many subdivisions is to HOA-out livestock and fowl; people who live in these neighborhoods don't want cattle or horses or chickens around.

There are certainly neighborhoods on the SW end of the county that allow for livestock. One is behind Pine Run and backs into the back of OTOW. Clearly, horse and cattle country.

Your other option is Thoroughbred Acres off of 80th Ave, south of SR 40. Mostly mobile homes, but most have at least an acre. The east side of that area backs up to the airport so no problems with development that way. It's not a fancy area, though, be warned.

You might do fine with googlemaps and narrowing in on the odd little pockets of mini-farms; they're everywhere around here! Quite a few are off/near SR 200, heading toward Citrus County. The closer you get to town, the less chance you'll have of livestock allowed.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:52 PM

170 posts, read 771,637 times
Awesome post!

Today my family and I stumbled on a neighborhood that might be doable. Looks like a portion of the neighborhood was Ocala and then it ran into Dunnellon.

SW 140th ave, that entire corridor thats starts at the intersection of 40 and runs all the way down to 484 and crossing over to 200. We went deep back in there and saw really nice homes with acerage AND homes in our price range AND from the looks of it decent neighbors (their yards were nicely cut) and tons of privacy.
I was opposed to dirt roads but after today I honestly dont care anymore.

Thanks again for your awesome post.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 AM

150 posts, read 231,007 times
Yes, that's exactly the area I was thinking might work for you! I hope your search results in a happy household!

If I remember correctly, that area edges into the west/back side of Ocala Stud so that will be fairly well protected for a while anyway. There are also pockets between 40 and 27 on that end of the county that will give you the space and animal options.

Regards,

Old 06-07-2017, 07:12 PM

480 posts, read 647,962 times
i live in Meadow Wood Farms and we do not allow goats. Chickens (within reason), cows (no more than four), and horses are okay. Houses in here are more expensive than what you're willing to pay anyway.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:18 AM

6,392 posts, read 10,186,717 times
Another idea is to buy a property not in a subdivision. I lived off of Hwy 484 about 1/2 mile off the road with no neighbors in about 1/4 mile. Never had an issue with my animals bothering anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: