Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 AM

23,467 posts, read 13,697,516 times

Advertisements

Read your bill carefully and timely. I just went through some of my old ones and have discovered some interesting and disturbing errors. Such as being charged for one kind of token purchase some of the time at 3 times the price. It has only happened twice it appears but is not reassuring.

Then there was the time when my down loads during off peak times were charged to my very limited peak time capacity.

I am rather shrugging these incidents off to live and learn and part of that learning is that if I am going to order more tokens, order 10 for at least that has come up correctly each time and it is only $3 more than just getting three, at least potentially.

Why am I shrugging it off? Well, I don't think I want to raise my BP given coming across this: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/hughes.html

Satellite is doing wonders for my internet addiction (and even more now that I have review my bills). For those hooked on youtube, watch out! Video sucks up one's capacity like you wouldn't believe. Text is not too bad but on those sites that run moving ads, once again there is something that uses up the capacity. And then there is Facebook where many, many people have automatically running pictures.

5 Gigs a month download is all I have, before tokens, at peak times and I have just disconnected my lap top from the circuit and moved it to another part of the house. The goal? Reserve internet usage during peak times for only to absolute essential. Reschedule everything until I get to work.

If I had known what I know now when I was on cable internet, I would have downloaded a heck of a lot more then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
......So to put this in perspective/real-world, think of a drag race. You have the car on the left (Traditional internet/low latency) and a car on the right (Satellite/high latency), when the lights turn green the car on the left will have a near instant reaction and start racing down the road, meanwhile the car on the right has a delay (latency) that can vary between 1 to 5 seconds before they start going.

Think that type of scenario impacts the race, especially considering that the average time of a race is 5-10 seconds (Left car could finish the race before Right car even starts)?
Sounds like when I was playing UT2004 on dial up. I would get wasted as I was materializing on my next life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
.......I don't know how much video you watch but it's not going to be a replacement if you want to subscribe to a cut your cord over the top streaming service where you have news or other cable channels streaming 12 hours a day. You are going to need to subscribe to satellite if you need that level of TV......
A, B, and C

A: I use a weather radio for essential information. While I haven't used its short wave capability yet, I do have the hardware for that as well.

B: As previously mentioned in other posts. I have a DVD library.

C: For video stuff I need off the Net, I download that when I am in range of public wifi or staying at a hotel.

One thing I am finding that is a pain is how much of the computer world is being locked into the cloud.

I was talking with Microsoft the other day about getting Office. I explained to the tech in chat about being out in the country with limited internet and generally, our conversation went okay. I think something was missed on one side, thought, when he suggested the subscription. I took that option, to try it out, installing it at work. I was trying it at home today and no, it needs a constant internet link, it didn't work. That is not a great problem, it looks like I will have to go for the stand alone package that I was asking about, but with such attitudes in our world today, will those always be around?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-17-2018 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,172,991 times
Quote:
5 Gigs a month download is all I have, before tokens, at peak times and I have just disconnected my lap top from the circuit and moved it to another part of the house. The goal? Reserve internet usage during peak times for only to absolute essential. Reschedule everything until I get to work.
You should call hughesnet and upgrade to Gen 5. It offers 50 GB of data. Not 5. 50. You must be on a very old satellite cause even the lowest hughesnet plans offer 10GB of data.

Also, exede satellite now offers unlimited data plans.

You should look for a deal.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 AM

23,467 posts, read 13,697,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
You should call hughesnet and upgrade to Gen 5. It offers 50 GB of data. Not 5. 50. You must be on a very old satellite cause even the lowest hughesnet plans offer 10GB of data.

Also, exede satellite now offers unlimited data plans.

You should look for a deal.
I get lots of suggestions of how I can get more Internet, even asked the question that if they install cable out in my region, will I sign up for it.

The thing is, as I said, that satellite internet is doing wonders to cure my internet addiction. I am trying to beat being on the Net all the time, such as, for instance, logging in to see if someone replied to my post on City-Data or using the Net to feed my craving for attention.

When I look at somethings I have accomplished by not being at the link up all the time, I seriously question going back to the times of having unlimited Net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala